Status of SP140?

Just took this

14 Likes

Awesome photo, can we get some closeup shots of the new unit itself?

What has your flight time been lately in testing the SP140?

Right. What was the big advantage of the sp140 over the X4? I am new to the sport and would like to find out why the SP140 is an upgrade.

You’re not the only one wondering.
We’re making a video and a section on the website to compare and contrast the X4 vs the SP140

1 Like

I was going to ask the question about portability but I’m assuming that you will cover that in this other video that you mentioned

Well it only has one motor and a big prop instead of 4 smaller ones. :slight_smile: I’d say the biggest advantage is overall efficiency which translates to longer run time. This is esp important with electric (compared to a 2 stroke) where you don’t carry around so much energy (fuel) that efficiency is barely a consideration.

The disadvantage is you have the torque effect from a single large prop and it’ll be way more expensive if you break it.

I think the other big difference is that the single prop unit is developed as a more complete package. Charge-n-fly if you will or Ready to run. Whereas the X4 is very much in kit form. It was available pre-assembled but no longer.

The SP140 isn’t an ‘upgrade’ for the X4. It’s a different machine.

3 Likes

@grejen711 I did not know it would be more efficient but it definitely sounds much better on the ears and looks better. I suppose what is confusing me is if it has same thrust and overall power, why would one motor cost more than 4 smaller motors? I would have assumed a cost decrease or at least similar cost to build. Is there a non-linear cost increase as you increase motor sizes?

Thanks,
Grant

Am I the only one that was refreshing the page yesterday? What’s the status of the preorders?

sorry tomorrow is launch day.

4 Likes

Can’t wait :grin: :+1:

Is it still happening today? I also keep refreshing the page :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Same. :slight_smile: I did see a banner was added to the top of the page. Hope it’s still coming later tonight!

Checking every few hours…

same here I’m sure he’s taking precautions to make sure everything’s working on the website and things like that but I’m still itching to get my hands on one of these and throw my internal combustion engine into a volcano.

Im trying lol, wanted good comparison stuff so people can make a smart choice. im not gonna give dates anymore im so bad at it lol. soon…though

8 Likes

Valve Time :laughing:

@Pdwhite I am very interested in electric Paramoter’s for the potential reliability that comes with them. Ive noticed watching videos of the X4 that it has overheating problems in some cases causing an engine out. Is the SP140 going to have the same potential to overheat and cause an engine out? If so, Could you add a feature on the throttles display to tell pilots how hot the battery is and how close it is to shutting off. I don’t know if this already exists but this would be an amazing feature to tell pilots to maybe not do full power climbs or to give them time to preemptively land before there is an engine out.

This is really important to me because I would like to know when it is safest to do foot drags and other potentially dangerous things. If electric paramotors can solve the uncertainty of an engine out, this would be an amazing feature for all pilots.

Thanks for doing such great work! Excitedly awaiting the launch!

1 Like

I watched a video of a musician saying, “how can you put a date on creativity?“

1 Like

Are there temperature sensors on the SP140’s batteries?

What’s the maximum temperature they’ve gotten to during or after a flight?