What's Coming Next - Batch 5 and OpenPPG Single Prop

For those that aren’t subscribed to @Pdwhite
We’ve been working on some exciting stuff, check out the quick update video

14 Likes

This certainly looks impressive! Somebodies been hard at work. Much appreciation.

Any idea of the weight?

1 Like

Last I checked it was around 58 lbs with everything (the majority of that is the battery). About the same as a nitro 200 with a half tank of gasoline.

3 Likes

Nice, I know there will be a lot of interest in this, as single prop eppg becomes “mainstream!” (lol)
I know this is prototyping/testing still, so here’s my initial thoughts/ questions…
It looks like this is a full carbon prop, not just a wooden carbon wrap… 3 blade vs 2?
As the batteries would be the biggest weight now, and we wait for that to imrpove, are you thinking of having different size batteries for this model available? (30-45?)
…and have you started building wings with the solar fabric built in so we can fly forever? jk, you guys are doing great, keep up the wonderful/inspiring work!
Cheers

2 Likes

Efficiency is about the same from 2 blade to 3 blade it’s just a difference noise tone and a bit less vibrations. Bi props are just less expensive so that’s what most people would want.

2 Likes

I am really looking forward to this option. A single-motor EPPG is more up my alley. Can’t wait to hear more!

1 Like

Awesome…I decided to build the X4, with the 4 motors now i have to think about this too :thinking: Will be open source ?

2 Likes

hello, what I do not understand why is always spoken of such high kw values? it is fact that you need for a standard paramotor takeoff 125 kg not more than 10 kw to have a lot of fun. with 16 kw I fly a trike with takeoff 185 kg. I’ve been flying rotex Rex 30 for 7 years now, which is the same as paracell used. To generate 60 kg of thrust you need about 12 kw. no more. for 50 kg it is about 10 kw. the most important is the tuning of the propeller. if the pitchspeed is too high, the efficiency is lower. that means it may be that the two identical project need the same power, same weight but different propellers have big differences in the flight. who likes can watch a project for propeller construction in facebook. https://www.facebook.com/thomas.brandstetter.54/media_set?set=a.2659026050782798&type=3here are a few flight videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0m5g5gvDYVGwdvuAwxZcq1VUh8RvfMUl
some pics:

( 1 propeller blade weighs 165 grams in the light version and 225 grams in the power version.)

16 17

2 Likes

on the test bench, i’ve measured many of my own concepts over the last few years. Also different propeller wings 2 sheets to 5 sheets. my values are just as much the same as those of e - props, helix and all major manufacturers with their own development departments. if with e-ppg more wings bring no advantage it is usually because the engine does not have the necessary torque it is at a 130 cm propeller for a high efficiency at least 25 nm torque necessary. If the engine does not increase the current is very high and the system needs many kw without being able to deliver more power. that is also the reason why so many project failures with china motors have too little torque due to their design.

a part of the website of eprops.:

For a paramotor use (it means low speed), for the same diameter, more blades = more efficiency.
A 3-blades has a best efficiency (= a best thrust) than a 2-blades.

Example :
Thrust measured with propellers for Vittorazi Moster 185 engine red 2,68, all in diameter 130 cm =>

1 Like

Will this one break down enough to fit the same type of space the 4 propeller versions do?

2 Likes

Wooot?

comon guys, now I have to buy one more paramotor from you!!

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very very nice! Can’t wait to buy one.
How much would a spare battery cost? Also looking at the heat sink reminds me of the moster’s cooling shroud, looks like it could use one.

1 Like

What is the approximate flight time expected with the new 2-3 bladed prop unit?

1 Like

The video holds the answer - projected around an hour of air time. The different props shouldn’t affect the flight time. Only the amount of thrust - about 5% more with the three blade.

1 Like

if you change from 2 sheets to 3 sheets you have between 3 and 7% depending on the propeller more thrust at the same input power. that means: in the level 25 kg are necessary as an example. at the 2 sheet are the (only as a numerical example) 5, 0 kw. the three-blade is around 4.75 kw. that means the efficiency increases and increases the flight time. with a moster 185 it is as an example so that this one hour of flight 5.5 liters needs with 2 sheets. with a 3 sheet and everything else he needs just over 5 liters of gasoline. efficiency also depends on leaf resistance. the higher the speed, the more efficiency decreases. as an an example. a few months ago, 2 pilots and 1 woman flew over the matterhorn in switzerland with 5000 meters. the miniplane top 80 was used. the gearbox was changed to lower propeller speed to allow me to use a large propeller with wide, thick blades and a lot of pitch. because at this altitude the air is only half as dense. with a standard equipment that would have been impossible. The top 80 did not get more power. The system was optimized very much by the Propeller and rpm adjustment. that’s what i want to say same performance and yet more flight time and efficiency is pure physics that is possible through changes and adjustments.

1 Like

In the past, since non-electric PPG and PHG were banned in Switzerland, when did the civil aviation authority change the rules? (Or was this a bandito flight?)

1 Like

was started in a valley in Italy. in flight at over 4000 meters, the info / tower italy was asked for clearance for the airspace. Permission granted by radio. it was a public flight with other world-renowned professional photographers and pilot adi geisegger. The report was published in the German-language paramotor magazine. All pilots I know myself always adhere 100% to the aviation laws. if we want higher than the airspace to fly to icao we ask before. For meetings and competitions, we usually get notams several nautical miles in which then the other air traffic for this time may not fly. we always make it save.

1 Like

Wow! This is really cool. I might need to buy a second one from you as well. :smile:

Is the battery box filled with Bonkas? And do you sell the box/battery separately? So I can use it for my version 3.5, if compatible?

Thanks

1 Like

In the video he said it’s a custom made Li-Ion pack…not lipo. That pack has much higher volts as well so it wouldn’t be compatible with previous batches. It would be nice to have a similar option available for the 4 prop unit.

6 Likes

“if the pitchspeed is too high, the efficiency is lower”
If the Pitch of a 2-bladed prop is bigger than 66% of its diameter, the airflow will stall resulting in less static thrust and decreasing max. current under static conditions.
To build a efficient prop you can only change diameter, pitch and chord length at center and transition’s. That is a fact. I think you want the highest possible pitch without static stall.
OpenPPG%20949
In the german ppg magazine test they measured the trust with the 19 KW motor and two blade
130 cm prop at 127 pounds. Good for you if you can reach this thrust with a 12 kw motor.

This manufacturer don’t recommend his electric PPG with 15 KW and 3 or 4 blade
prop’s for pilots over 85 kilo… I don’t know the reason but he thinks so.

2 Likes