HangsFromSky batch 3 build log

Where are design files for batch 4? Github does not have anything new in it for a while. Was going to manufacture my own replacement motor arms, but I do not see any files to base them off of.

1 Like

Send me an email i send them to you.

1 Like

I’m can put em up in the GitHub if someone can send them over to me

@zjwhitehead, I just wanted to double check my hypothesis and ask: Why isn’t the batch 3 controller set up to accept power from the USB port?

It was a time constraint mostly (wasnt in the original design then would have to do another round of PCBs with testing) which is why we were able to add it in batch 4

Finally got repairs done, and a second test flight in. This time I did not fall from the sky.

I have a few bad habits still carried over from decades of paragliding and I am too timid on the throttle. This will get better. Flight was intentionally short.
I did have two issues: upon attempting a few bunny hop launch/landings, the hand controller stopped working (blank display, motors beeping in disarmed state, no response to any buttons). And when I took the frame off I noticed one of the props had gotten loose, which is frightening. Wish we could wire on those nuts.
4 Likes

Pics of the repairs to the motor arms. I used 0.062" delrin laser cut in a glowforge, two pieces on each side.

Learning that aviation and frugality dont mix. Old me would have tried to glue this split in the prop. New me invests in buying a new prop.

Seeking advice. I added some loom over the throttle cable, but still need a better way of securing the cable to the throttle hand unit. After the first flight, tried to do a subsequent flight but found that the throttle was not responding/had no 5V power/blank display. Upon disassembly it is apparent that a yank on the cable bent and damaged the PCB mount connector, and then fully disconnected.
Is there a better way to secure the cable where it enters the throttle body? Or inline a cable disconnect?

Hot glue for strain relief. Not sure its the best idea, but rolling with it…

1 Like

I tried hot glue on my also, but I ended up just reprinting the handle and making the hole smaller so it pinches tighter on the cable.

I think You could use zip ties to the backplate. Either through some of the holes or to a stand off. And then make a loop and zip tie again that way if you do yank and it pulls through the zip tie it just shortens the loop. I think that’s what I saw glider pilot use in his.

Yeah, I zip tied to the carbon plate. But as for the controller side I have batch 2 and the wires fit tight through the hole.

I tied a know right before where the cable exits the case:

I posted a couple of other issues in a separate thread: (Throttle-)Cable issues

2 Likes

For reasons, gonna bail out of this project.
For Sale: Batch 3 OpenPPG, in flying condition.
4 Bonka’s, H825ACDUO charger, Apco Split leg harness, Ozone Roadster 3 26 Blue/yellow/Magenta (very low airtime).
Flown only 5 (and a half) times. In ready to fly condition. Build pics and flight videos above.
My cost in excess $8,300. First $5,500 takes the lot.
PM if interested.

Wow. Sorry to hear it and - ■■■■ man! 6 months ago I’d have snapped it up.

Picking up where @HangsFromSky left off, I made a fix to his fix, since I managed to break one. I replicated the delrin fix but this time in black. This uses the 30mm bolt version of the 3D printed hoop connector from @GliderPilot (BE CAREFUL - very thin tips - #59 by GliderPilot). I am pretty pleased with the results.

Video:

5 Likes

Nicely done! The black definitely looks better.

Nice Job ! Where did you find the stl for the 3d printed parts ? Can you point me to ?

Here is a link to my most recent fix (including the stl files) which are much stronger and closer to how batch 4 and greater are made. However, This fix requires shortening the hoop sections because the arms are shorter.

The stl files for the design that doesn’t require shortening the arms are here:

3 Likes