Day 1 build progress

Thanks Paul! When you send mine out (4x), I don’t have the cover plate or the center lock nut either. Sorry to be a pest. Just that measure twice - cut once principle I learned in carpentry. I’m assuming the bolts are the same as the ones for the joints. Thanks again.

Yeah, I have no hardware either for the missing 2, so I’ll need the washers and nylock nuts.
The shaft connects to the hub with m4 bolts, there were plenty in the kit if your motor doesnt have them.

No idea if I have this hooked up correctly but I’m heading to see a friend in a few days who is a PPG expert so we’ll get it all sorted.

I gotta say this thing with 2 batteries feels about the same weight as my freeflight rig. With 4 batteries it’s got some weight to it but still feels nowhere near as heavy as a gas PPG.

That’s great to know. Weight was my primary consideration for willing to roll the dice on this. Compact folding size was the other. I’m willing to compromise on flight time to have those two wins. If I really want to fly longer, I can buy more batteries (requiring a swap) or go back to my gas motor. Not quite ready to sell that yet. I have an electric motorcycle, but still have all my gas bikes too. Range anxiety reigns I suppose.

That harness should have come with soft links for the carabiners. The safety strap is not intended to be used to hold the carabiners. And those carabiners are upside down. Here is a picture of mine:

2 Likes

Please please please see your friend first - do not fly like this.

To borrow Paul’s phrase, that kinda looks jank. I don’t know what “right” looks like so I’m no help here.

1 Like

Is there a video somewhere of how to do this right?

Please please please see your friend first - do not fly like this.

No worries. I can’t fly anyways, lacking 2 propshafts :slight_smile:

This may help. I found this on another thread:

What are the grey loops for?

Not sure what the grey loops are intended to be used for but you don’t need them for this application. Did your harness come with the soft links?

The one that OpenPPG sent did, but the other one did not. The place I ordered from has sent replacements. Presently looking for a video or something to show how they go on properly.

I honestly can’t find anything. There are other “soft links” but I doubt they go on the same. https://media.nzaerosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/15053314/Softlink-instructions_Sport.pdf
and
https://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/SlinkInstructions_RCI.pdf

Ran it through the strap slots with some $5 nylon webbing and buckles, but there is now too much slack in the harness’s straps which requires tying down, negates the time benefit of the buckles, and introduces potential prop hazard. Rethinking where else might be good to put these…

This works much better.

Does this look right?

Third time’s the charm. I think I have this now.

1 Like

Well I took it outside today for a power test and instantly vaporized the two lower props and the lower half of the net. I thought it was plenty tight. Maybe because it’s new it stretched out more, and the heat probably didn’t help. Anyways, time to order some new props and see about a new net.