Wm's OpenPPG Batch 3 Build Log Photo Album

One tool that I did not have in Florida for the build was a 10mm end wrench 2.5mm thick…and I did not have facilities there to make my own, so, I had to wait until I returned to the Delta where I have real tools. :wink:…or almost real tools. Anyway I made one today. In Florida I was just very careful not to destroy my switches. The 2.5mm thick end wrench is for the bottom lock nut on the switch studs. It makes assembly and mods much easier.

I’m in the process of shortening all of my wires this week. To do it right it takes a bit of time, but I really enjoy the build process.

Thanks again for all of your contributions!

Bill

1 Like

I made my first OpenPPG flight yesterday down at our Pensacola Beach flying site. It was a beautiful day with temperatures around 75F and winds out of the south at about 7 to 8mph. Kiting was easy, but I was a bit stressed because it was a new machine for me. Although I was trying to be careful with the throttle, I aborted the first attempt because of the surge of power around 50%…very sensitive. I love the machine but just need to be able to adjust the throttle curve like many of us have done on our quadcopters. The flight was intentionally short (a test flight) because I had recently added a wire to connect both input terminals on the two power switches. I will remove the back plate tonight and check for any possible problems.

I have also added the flight video to the album above.
3 Likes

Here is a photo of the wire that I added to connect the input terminals of the two power switches. (bottom red wire) As has been discussed by Paul Butler and others here, this allows for all four batteries to supply the system in the event that one switch goes bad. Please note that both pair of batteries will now be in parallel once they are plugged in…even when the switches are off.

3 Likes

The 3rd flight of my OpenPPG build after shortening all battery wires and unit connection wires. I was able to remove almost 2’ of #8 wire. Robert Marozsan - test pilot. :wink:

Another short video from Monday.

2 Likes

I remixed @1066’s ‘Arm Spacers’ to fit the new connectors. You can download from here: https://community.openppg.com/t/the-rebuild-of-batch-3/1584/3?u=jrsimple

1 Like

My APCO Mayday Square installed on my APCO split leg harness. The reserve itself weighs 1.01kg and has a packed volume of 3000cc. Super easy install. Also, very easy to remove by opening one maillon and one zipper.

2 Likes

… for my reserve I have to use a front container> 1.9 kg, 7100cc, 35sqm

Technology advancements are good…

I love my Dudek harness with built in under seat reserve canister:

Paul, nice arrangement! Too bad Apco didn’t offer the same layout. With the split leg reserve, I can pull the zipper and just stuff it into the seat area when I fold it up. Also, it only weighs about 2.2lbs. I already had a Square Ozone Angel for my Tornado that I might have used on both, but I keep the gas unit at home in Mississippi. Bill

1 Like

Yeah I thought that all dudek harnesses would have the reserve pouch on the bottom but mine did not. I had to get the side reserve pouch. Under my seat is a forward opening pocket. Was the under the seat reserve an option? I didn’t get this option from the dealer here If it was.

It’s an option on the Dudek website and therefore the dealer was able to order that version. The dealers website didn’t show it as an option so I had to ask for it.

Dang okay thanks Paul.

I really like the battery plate that Rob Catto (SimLoop) printed for his build. It makes getting ready to fly much quicker. (Paul Butler’s rail system certainly does this too…great design!) I also like Phil’s (Voltair) quick release system…so, combining these two ideas, I had a 3mm CF plate cut to act as a “battery plate”. Plastic Spider ( great3d.com ) took my file and had it to me in about three or four days…very fast. I put a round (top position) and a triangular (bottom position) key on the back of the plate just to let me know when I lift the assembly into the proper position…and also to hold it a bit while I strap it down to the back. I installed 4 round spacers just to lift the plate above the bolt heads on the back of the OpenPPG. ( They are 2 or 3mm shorter than the “keys”. ) At the present I’m using a quick release buckle at the top that I can reach while strapped in the OpenPPG. The whole plate assembly with batteries fits nicely into my battery bag. Here are a few pictures:

It is a work in progress, but it does what I want. The 1" buckle is very strong, but I may swap it our for a 1.5" to match the Velcro. My stitching is not the best (had to learn to use a Speedy Stitcher), but I have been unable to tear a joint apart.
For a few additional photographs, go to the album link at the top of this thread.
Bill

4 Likes

I put the batteries between 2 carbon fiber plates - in the case the frame drops backwards
the lipo’s should be better protected hopefully…

2 Likes

Looking good! It makes a nice modular pack. I love the green leaf!

My primary goal was to build a battery release system … in the event of a fire…you just never know! Part of the design was to maintain some air flow around the batteries. It gets REALLY hot here. My secondary goal was to make “setup” quicker…not having to mount individual batteries. Trying to keep it simple.

Keep up the good work!
Bill

1 Like

Two photos of my updated battery pack “quick mount/release setup”.

3 Likes

I made this OpenPPG flight on 10-24-19 between Pensacola Beach and Navarre. My new battery Mount/Release system made “setup” much quicker and easier. It was a mostly overcast day, but parawaiting paid off and I found a nice window for a flight.

1 Like

I took Paul Butler’s (GliderPilot) advice and stiffened my throttle cable. I used 1/8" and 1/4" split braided wire loom and 1/8" black tubing from NAPA (the tubing that is used in the automotive industry to go to pressure gauges). It is very tough and is a nice substitute for a flexible nylon rod. I put the tubing and throttle cable inside the 1/8" split loom and then put that inside the 1/4" split loom. The look and feel of this mod is very similar to the throttle cable on my Tornado. I really like it. In the bottom of the throttle body (see picture) I drilled a hole a bit smaller than the tubing and melted the end once it was clamped tightly.

4 Likes

Lorran Michaels of FourWindsPPG.com flying my OpenPPG build. I had a great week flying with Lorran and Shannon. They are SUPER people, SUPER instructors…a great place to learn “inland” flying!

4 Likes

What a playground!:smiley:

1 Like