What's Coming Next - Batch 5 and OpenPPG Single Prop

50/60 volts for the X4 Yes. The X4 is a bit on the edge as for the power discharge rate needed. The X4 would just need a very large Li-Ion cell count to get a long lasting cycle life. So it for sure could work but its not really in the sweet spot.

2 Likes

I’m going to do a 10 day training course later this month. Then I will have to decide what to buy and when. I would really prefer this electric single prop over a two-stroke. And I’d be willing to wait a bit for it. But only a few months.

I don’t expect you to be announcing a delivery date. I just need some guidance. Would you recommend that I go ahead and buy a two-stroke? Or wait for this new version?

Thanks!

Any update on pre ordering the sp140?

1 Like

I found the answer to my question, I guess. “The SP140 paramotor is expected to start shipping early Spring”.

What are the:

1. Motor
  2. ESC

with the single prop unit? :slight_smile:

Hi Paul,

very interested in your single prop unit, more specificaly for efficency reasons. Living in Europ, we have good paramotor manufacturer. I would be very interested in your new system you came up, though i would be courious to know if the electrique propulsion system could be installed on different kind of cages. Right now, i could purchase a very light weight cage over here and then install your system. I also have a very advised battery supplier over here who can build battery packs of any kind, this on your specifications. These are all small things that could help me save costs from shipping overseas. Thanks for your fantastic job in this project.

Best greatings.

Laurent

3 Likes

Wing Acquired, Helmet built, training starting in March. SP140 status?

1 Like

They said late spring. Use the school equipment for training. Good luck with your training. Let us know how it goes.

Sounds like progress to me . I am very interested in an electric ppg as the cost of petrol in the UK and Europe is extortionate .

This would be neat possibility in the future. People could have smaller barrier upgrading to electric if pre-existing frames could be used. This both reduces the costs and gives room for preference. If compatible motor mountings existed for common engine manufacturers, then upgrade could ideally be something like an engine swap. Though it would still be quite a DIY project to attach the battery pack and all the electronics.

I’m flying a batch 4 X4 and I love it but I’m pretty sure most para pilots would not consider a sub one hour cruise time as an upgrade.

Hi, I’m a beginner on e-ppg, but i have years of experience with gas pgg, flying from 80cc to 185cc at different take off weight. I confirm that it is enough 10Kw (or 14Hp) to have lot of fun !

What I can’t understand is why , if it is possible to obtain 10kw from a direct drive, in youtube I have seen lots of project with pulley reduction…

I have understood that the max rpm with no load = KV x Vcc, but this limit is really reachable ?
And what happens if I apply a resistant torque ? Which is the relation between max rpm and max torque ? I guess Power=Torque x 2pi x rpm/60 … But evidently it isn’t, because at the same power same project uses pulley reduction insted a lower KV…

It has to do with brushless motor efficiency. A lot of the cheaper motors are inefficient at the relatively low RPM required for the propeller to be efficient. They will run much cooler turning at a faster RPM at the same power level.

I have been looking to build an electric paramotor. What I have found is that often the motor KVs are too low for running a 15s lipo/li-ion battery. I can get a motor down in the 27kv range and with 55.5v It peaks at 1500rpm without any load!

When you see the reduction drive they are most often using older motors. I am not positive but I believe that highly efficient low kv motors have more recent become a viable option as computer simulations and stronger magnets at a lower cost have become available. Also on top of that any moving part has efficiency losses. So by removing the reduction drive you can increase your flight time.

1 Like

Any Specs yet?
Cheers

1 Like

Hey Mr. White. Will the SP140 be open source or only for purchase?

Thanks,

Grant

2 Likes

Most of the SP140 is not very DIY friendly like the X4 but if you want to weld up your own frame I can send you the files to help. And stuff like the motor and ESC firmware is not open source even though it was designed for us. I don’t think APD would want to open source there firmware but you’re welcome to ask them. I have 3D models for the ESC and stuff like that. Our throttle controller stuff and firmware is though and thats what most would be wanting to experiment with.

But ya the Sp140 would much more of a pain to make DIY from the ground up IDK if you’d wana make it. But if you need the files for if you want to make a rig to mount it to a trike or something like that, thats no problem.

4 Likes

You are the man. Seriously appreciate how inviting your approach to paramotoring is. If you would send me models to weld and the for the ESC I would love to attempt to make it on my own. If there’s some way I can help with any design I would also be glad to put in some man-hours.
I have a machinist past in high school, industrial welding background (current covid summer job, steel only) and a mechanical engineering degree that I have only used for a few months in a design role (Solidworks). If you wanted to email those files to gprpap@gmail.com I would love it.

Thanks,
Grant

could i also get these files as i wish to make a frame for a motor i have. i have all the electronics i just need a frame

I too am interested in the frame files. I have a trike from Aviator that carries the Nitro200. If your frame footprint is close to the Nitro, I may just be able to snap it right on.