Throttle controller dead - HELP!

Hi all,

Batch 3

I have not flown yet (hoped to tomorrow), but my throttle controller is unhappy.

It has worked in previous power tests, but the test tonight before the flight is a no-go.

It’s totally silent…

HOWEVER… I can see inside through the gap in the controller halves that there is a RED LED on in the controller, so I know it’s powered… but nothing else is happening. No display. No top LED.

I have dancing motors and repeating beeps that tell me the motors are ready to rock and roll…

Is there any documentation on batch 3, and how the electronics are supposed to work? (I received min pre-built).

How are kit builders building units??? I assume there must be some documentation somewhere, right?

Also, I see a button INSIDE the controller (which I have not pressed). Anyone know what that is for?

UPDATE: Problem solved! In case this will help anyone… when I opened the controller then reassembled it, I allowed the wiring harness to lay across the small internal pushbutton on the controller board. Actuating this button causes the controller to remain off (perhaps it is a reset button?) Anyway, once I routed the wires better, the issue is resolved!

1 Like

That button on the inside of the controller is to reset the controller and for putting it into bootloader flashing mode etc. Pressing it would definitely cause an issue in normal use.
Glad you got it figured out!

1 Like

This is exactly what I have. Red LED on , no top LED, and display. I can hear the repeating beep from ESCs, and see the prop twitching. On the hub circuit the green light is flashing slowly. I remember it use to flash more rapidly when it was working. I don’t have a reset button on the controller board. Is this a controller issue or a hub firmware?

I have the exact same issue as Ryder described.

My X4 Batch 3 throttle controller went “dead” today approximately 8 seconds after take-off. The red light on the controller board is on but the top button light and the display is NOT on.

I’m hoping this issue is easily resolved through the “reset” button SW2 on the board but I don’t know how this works. Zach Whitehead replied to the original post that the button is to “reset the controller and putting it into bootloader flashing mode”.

Can anyone help me get my throttle controller operational again…please.

Try unplugging the controller’s screen. I know it sounds weird, but that I what worked for me. Been flying without a screen for a while now, using a voltage reader to determine when it is time to land. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll give that a try and report on how it went.

@assiegordon Unfortunately, unplugging the controller’s screen did not change anything for my throttle controller (red power light is still on, top button light is off, display screen is off, and most importantly there is no “arming” capability)

Does anyone know how to use the functions of the “Reset” button (SW2) on the throttle controller board?

Sorry you’re having trouble. That reset button will reboot the controller or if you hold it down while powering it up should enter bootloader mode where you can flash firmware.
If somehow the bootloader got corrupted or there is another hardware issue, we can take a look and try to flash it via the PROGAM pins

Thanks for the reply Zach.

The reset button does not have any effect (single press, double-press, long press, etc.), so I believe what I have is what you described as a “corrupted bootloader” somehow (it worked fine before).

Can you provide guidance on how to flash it via the PROGRAM pins?

Conversely, is it wise for me to just purchase an updated/upgraded throttle controller that will work with my X4?

I think you have a couple of options. Unfortunately, OpenPPG doesn’t have much stock (if any) of the X4 controller since they’ve now been discontinued.

1. (fastest) Get this flashing tool and reprogram the chip directly with it SEGGER J-Link EDU Mini - JTAG/SWD Debugger : ID 3571 : $59.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits (can link more detailed instructions if needed)

2. Send the board to me, and I can use that same tool to reflash it for you. I’m currently out of town, so it may take a couple of weeks but will do my best to get it back as soon as I can.

1 Like

Zach, when you can, I would appreciate it if you could send the link to reprogram the X4 throttle controller. I want to learn how to do it if I can. I am in the process of procuring the SEGGER J-Link EDU Mini.

@zjwhitehead reading this other post Controller update help - #39 by jerix I started to get nervous that programming a throttle controller is complicated and may be above my skill set to be successful with my broken X4 throttle controller…should I save myself a lot of time and frustration and just ship my throttle to you for investigation (and hopefully repair)?

Hi Zach,

I am also having a similar problem. I have a batch 4 controller that does not have a reset button. I originally plugged the controller in via USb to my PC and the blue light came on. The computer would not recognize the controller. I plugged it again in and now only the red light comes on and it still does not connect. I have tried 8 different usb cables. Please advise. Thank you.

Hi,

Can you please give us an update on this return process?

Thank you