Status of SP140?

I am curious about the charger included. It says 2 hour charge time for a 4kWh battery.

You can safely (continuously) draw 12A from a standard 120V outlet (USA). That is 1.4kW.

So maybe a bit longer than 2 hours for a full charge, but close.

Would be cool if the charger had a 240V option, or could even connect to level 2 EVSE (electric car supply equipment) for public charging. The J1772 standard is pretty straight forward. Only minor hand shaking required to get power from those.

1 Like

I wonder what the voltage of the new battery pack is.

I wonder if we can still use our bonkas as additional batteries.

Yup thats the reason we offer the smaller option. Some may want to ride thermals etc and want the flexibility of a lighter weight battery. The batteries can be swapped in approximately 6 seconds :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s been mentioned before as a 24s (100v) system.

How long will the preorders be open?

7 posts were split to a new topic: SP140 order confirmation emails

Great! Thank you for the quick reply. One follow up question… Can you do the same easy swap with a big 4kWh and a small 2kWh pack? In other words, have the option to mount the right battery for the kind of flying you intend to do that day?

Hi guys,
Regarding prop choice, will the 2-blade or 3-blade choice affect flight time? I know the 3-blade will be quieter and somewhat less efficient but enough to impact flight time?
I do realized there are a ton of other factors which will also play a role. It looks like from the photos posted the 3-blade was used quite a bit…
I appreciate all the time and energy you guys, @Pdwhite and @zjwhitehead, have put into this project. Amazing accomplishment. Thanks!

The tri blade isn’t any less efficient, it should be more efficient, that’s what e-props says at least. i haven’t notices and significant difference though but i want to get some more numbers though to really see.

Yes they both have the same outer case so they can be interchanged depending on what you’re feeling that day.

1 Like

I’m looking to build my own feather weight pack with my 18650 batteries I originally planned for the X4. I know you’re busy, but can you share more specs/pictures/details regarding battery/connectors, size, etc. I’d like to have the pack ready to go when it comes. If you have cases for sale where you can build your own, that’d be amazing.
specifically looking for:
Voltage: (24S?)
Nominal Amp Draw:
Max Amp Draw: 250amps?
Connector Type?
communication to controller?

Orders will be open for the week so no need to rush

Can we get some photos of the back of the unit with the standard battery installed? To me it looks like the photo that’s up on the product page does not have the battery attached, unless I’m missing it?

@Pdwhite,
In my 2am daze, I placed my SP140 order with the two blade prop. I’d like to switch the order to a 3-blade. Hopefully there is a way to do that. I know there is a price difference but I’d like the quietest prop. Please advise how I can do this. Thanks.

I don’t know if 3 blade is necessarily quieter… I thought in general 3 blade is a bit higher tone, tiny bit more torque, less vibration. @Pdwhite perhaps a small section to allow people to make an informed decision? There’a a lot of confusion in this thread over prop choice (for example, efficiency, loudness/tone, vibrations, torque).

E-PROPS : les meilleures helices de Paramoteurs, hi-tech ultra-legeres E-props makes them and they have a section about the numbers of blades and efficiency . So as for the best true efficiency, a single blade is really the most effective but really that is not very practical of course. Then bi blade is second and tri is third and so on. That is only true if there is an unlimited diameter to get the thrust that is needed. But with a limited diameter than to get the thrust needed a bi blade tri blade or more is required. And for say getting the thrust up to required on a bi blade would require a higher pitch less efficient profile. So that’s where a higher blade count can be more efficient.

Its always best to try and go for a larger prop diameter first and then blade numbers to get the best efficiency. And that’s why we have decided to go for a 140cm size cage over a 130cm. I originally had a 150cm cage design and it was really quiet and good efficiency but it was just a bit too unwieldy so 140cm was the move. So I think 140cm is the best middle ground between efficiency and size.

5 Likes
 Appreciate the insight on the prop selection, @Pdwhite.  Thanks!   

It sounds like for the SP140 cage diameter and the 3-blade 140cm prop is best suited for efficiency and lowest noise level. Wow, lots of parameters to consider.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Prop size question

Is the current version cage for the SP140 140cm or 150cm? Since the propeller is described as 140cm
it should be quite efficient with the 150cm cage and quieter as the 140cm cage with 130cm prop. BTW the 3 blade prop should be less noisy because it produces the same thrust with lower tip speeds…

2 blade propeller tip speed climbing ca. 605 km/h and at level flight 460km/h
3 blade propeller tip speed climbing ca. 512 km/h and at level flight 390km/h

Any tip speed under 500 km/h is less noise pollution and over you need noise protection.
In a perfect world we would have tip speed’s under 400 km/h for climbing and level flight…

very good thoughts from you on the speed of the propeller! thermik eppg fly with 2 blade propellers already very successfully at maximum climb with 480 km / h (130 cm / 1900 rpm) and 357 km / h when cruising (130 cm / 1500 rpm)

with classic eppg ( need mor power ) the same values at tip speed are possible with a 3 blade propeller.