SP140 hang angle problems

I am 70kg or 155lbs.
With this blue insert I had an angle of 21 degre
With the new CNC arms and the blue insert it is down to 15.
So even though the attaching points looks identical to titanium arms the angle is different, maybe it is due to the different links.
Thx Paul!

1 Like

Coming back here after my first flight with this setup, I might remove the blue insert. Felt like I was very upright during flight, even at throttle relase. Or maybe is because I am so used to free flight harnesses, perhaps it is normal to sit quite upright in PPG harness?

PPG seating position is much more upright than PG. My PG harness feels like a hammock, whereas PPG feels more like a chair.

Don’t adjust your seat based on how you think it should “feel.” The #1 factor here is the angle of thrust with respect to the risers. Setting the hang angle outside of the acceptable range results in dangerous flight characteristics.

Use the app on your phone to adjust the hang angle. At the correct angle, you should be sitting fairly upright, but not so far forward that it feels like you’re going to slide out of your seat. (Certainly much more upright than a PG harness.) If I remember correctly, most people here have been trying to achieve a hang angle somewhere in the range of 13-17 degrees.

In your case, removing the insert would probably result in a hang angle greater than it should be. This increases the risk of inducing riser twist when under throttle.

1 Like

I recommend using a thin light board with some type of spacer to push the bottom of it forward. That way you will have a more comfortable body position rather than that thick blue foam all the way up your back. It won’t feel like a paraglider harness but should be more comfortable than what you got now.

Yeah, was actually thinking about it as the spacing in the upper region does not impact the angle nearly that much as the spacing at the bottom.

1 Like

Alright, I see a ton of back and forth in here from the past two years. Can I ask for a summary of what everyone has learned from their trial and error?

I didn’t have a great way to measure my hang angle, so I used my GoPro on a tripod. There was probably a little give or take in the numbers, but I came out with 17 degrees which seems to be a commonly reported number. Everyplace I look online seems to suggest around 10 degrees is where you want to be for safety, so I am a bit worried.

I have the newest version of the paramotor with the CNC arms. I am using the rear-most two holes, and I weigh 188lbs. I am also continuing to try to lose weight as I’m 5’7, so the hang angle will get worse over time. I am kind of worried by the “works great for me at 190lbs” comment by Zach, as it seems everyone has been flying at the minimum position and this thread wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t a constant problem. I too am a software developer and the “works for me” answer always gets us in trouble, usually you didn’t test enough scenarios…

Is the only real solution at this point to add the backing to the harness to move it a bit forward?

@GliderPilot You said:

Also, the angle changes significantly with power applied which is when the hang angle is most critical.

Changes in a way that one considers a positive or a negative?

Just for report, I removed my blue insert completely and did not have any issues flying it.
dguisinger, at 188 you will not have issues with this machine.

The hang angle decreases as power is applied, which decreases the risk of riser twist. That’s why we can get away with unpowered hang angles of 17 degrees or so – in cruise or glide, it’s fine. And when power is applied, the hang angle decreases. There’s a video showing a static test in this thread somewhere, I think.

I believe some paramotors – depending on where the thrust vector is in relation to the hang point – will have the hang angle increase when power is applied. Which, if that were true for our machines, increasing from 17 degrees to… 20+ degrees would cause a significant risk of riser twist. But the geometry of our motor and hang points causes the hang angle to decrease with thrust, so it should be fine.

what about as I lose weight? a “high” target weight for my height is 165lbs, a low target is 130lbs.

165lbs is just like me So you are fine. But Idk why one would want to go as low as 130 at this height, that would be just less sexy and less muscle mass(my guess) that you need to operate this fly machine.

Well, there’s a huge difference between being 165 lbs with 12% body fat and 165 lbs with 24% body fat. The former is sexy and strong. The latter is just fat.

1 Like