SP140 Batch 3 shipping status?

Yeah I got mine today too and the did the first true power up! So sleek and smooth!! Yeah a few my spars are kind of like that not quite as bad, when I tightened the net it seem to help a bit too. And idk, but I used the boungie to hold the throttle when not in use, and I like that. (As in when u take the unit off)

Well. This was a bummer to come home to. The packaging needs a huge improvement as does the fulfillment company. You can’t have a bunch of weight in the middle of a loosely packed frame in a cheap box and not expect this.

The box was destroyed and half open. Only one of the plastic 3D printed support pieces remained in tact, they were all shattered and the cage separated. One of the spar pins is bent to hell. Another is off angle. Missing a black connector peg, AND to top it off I ordered a reserve pocket for the harness and it wasn’t included. Motor looks okay.

My hoop is like that, too. My suspicion is that it’s not perfectly round. I found that if I assembled the hoop first – put all four pieces together – it was actually easier for me to get the four pieces together and get the whole thing onto the spars, as opposed to the way Paul demonstrates in the video. I also found that doing it this way, the bottom two connectors weren’t quite aligned with the frame – they were still sticking out a few inches away. But with a little force, I could bend the hoop slightly so that the connections to the lower spars went in most of the way, and the bottom connections to the frame were pushed closer so they could connect pretty easily.

So, basically: 1) assemble hoop completely; 2) start at the top spars and drop the hoop into those two spars; 3) work your way down and connect the middle spars; 4) connect the bottom spars as far as they’ll go in; 5) slightly “bend” (push/force) the bottom of the hoop until the bottom connectors get close to the connecting holes on the bottom of the frame. This will also seat the lower spars more completely; 6) push the bottom connectors into the bottom of the frame.

As for the elastic bands on the soft links, you can see how they’re supposed to be connected in the Dudek harness manual.

1 Like

Wow. I’m so sorry to see that. I probably would have cried. :cry:

1 Like

A few more. The frame is scraped pretty badly as well. Cracked controller too.

■■■■, that is super sad to see.

I know its not an option for many of you, but I picked my unit up from the OpenPPg shop in Ohio. I did this primarily because I was afraid of what the shipping company would do handling the package, and the limited parts supply for these machines meant that if mine was damaged it would be a while before I could get it fixed.

Perhaps consider picking the unit up yourself or having a dedicated courier delivery??

Man, that sucks! Hopefully OpenPPG will replace everything while you do battle with UPS. Be prepared though for an “Inadequate packaging, not our fault” response from them. It’s a pretty common practice for companies that ship expensive items to consult with carriers about their intended packaging in order to get their buy off. Of course they’ll push for a “more is better” approach but they are usually easy to work with. And it goes a long way to getting a quicker damage resolution. But this doesn’t help you too much!

Come to think of it, I didn’t get my reserve pouch either!

1 Like

Sad to see those pics. Based on this thread I really hope the packaging improves before any more shipments (i.e. mine!) go out.

Sorry to see this! Please contact us directly if you havent already.

The best option to get things quickly resolved individual order questions and problems is to always send an email to us - info@openppg.com

Sent email late last night (mostly copy paste of this post). Thanks. As mentioned earlier I receive a lot of shipments and I have never seen boxes as trashed as two of the ones from this shipment. The packaging is woefully inadequate and the boxes are too thin. I’m not sure how much of the damage is happening on the fulfillment side (if a third party is used) and how much in shipping.

Got the long awaited shipping notification today, hopefully the packaging issues have been solved and everything shows up in good condition.

1 Like

Welcome, foot_launcher. Same here, I got my confirmation yesterday. I am overseas so it would be a bit of a disaster if it gets trashed. Fingers crossed.

Hoping they fixed the shipping issues, I think they just needed to do a better job of packaging and protecting the contents. Mines getting delivered tomorrow so we’ll see

1 Like

I dislike posting this here hoping it will get more attention, but after multiple emails saying they would ship out the replacement parts on Aug. 16th, I went off grid for 2 weeks on vacation. After getting home 3 days ago I was shocked to find nothing delivered and no more updates. I’ve emailed again 2 days ago with no reply. So 3 weeks after letting Paul know about the shipping damages, I still have no replacement parts for the broken and missing pieces. Quite frustrating to say the least. Went from expecting to fly this thing in July to now being hopeful I get to fly it before October. =\ More frustrating if others are getting new machines while I’m waiting for replacement parts for shipping damages a month ago. Hope ya’ll fair better than I am.

1 Like

Yeah totally understandable, I have a gas unit that I fly so at least I’m not grounded. SP140 is an impressive machine but they need to improve their customer support/logistics. My unit was supposed to ship like a month ago and I kept emailing them and every time they kept pushing the ship date back. I think it’s a matter of hiring the right people and delegating

How the hell does someone pitch a 50 pound battery. I have to straddle it and use both hands to carry it. Bet it sucked watching that happen.

I can toss a 50lb bag of sand pretty easily and a lot of hardcore construction guys can do a lot more than that so it’s definitely possible. And some of these ups drivers like to toss packages on the porch, thankfully my current one doesn’t do that but I’ve seen them do it before. You would think they’d be more careful with a heavy package but a lot of them don’t

For sure, the SP140 is a beautiful, wonderful flying machine. I love mine, butt (pun intended) that sleek lightweight frame is not nearly as tolerant of butt landings. Glad you had a dump truck to train on. Now go enjoy the SP!

The bungee balls wrap around the sliding metal black brackets to secure the soft link in place. The balls will connect to the elastic end of the bungees.

I received mine on friday, everything was in perfect condition with no issues at all, they definitely added more padding to their packaging. I assembled it and took it for a spin that same day.

4 Likes