Question regarding the throttle and the images

Hi!

Saw in the images the the controller has changed a lot from the early videos posted with this project?

Before it was like a standard controller with a battery indicator, and the images now looks a bit different, Almost 3D Printer with no indicator and a bit unusual “style” of throttle

Is that throttle the finalized product or will we be able to have like a battery indicator etc like the early product from Vid #1 ?

Thanks!

That’s the throttle that will be shipping out in the first and second batch of kits. I designed a few different throttle styles and I found the thumb throttle the easiest for taking off and flying and the most comfortable. The screen on the front provided all the necessary info like your battery voltage of percentage and info like flight mode or whether you just armed or disarmed. The screens nice because it allows room for expandability in the future with easy firmware updates.

2 Likes

@Pdwhite that thing on the top left is the screen?

Yup. This is the screen module we are using in V1 - amazon.com/Diymall-Serial-128x64-Display-Arduino/dp/B00O2KDQBE

Is there any chance we can change this to wireless in the future?

@azzkhan before I answer that I’m curious as to why you’d like the throttle to be wireless.

Ive been following other manufacturers aswell and one of them E-GLIDER - electric powered paragliding does a wireless throttle and it’s also an electric paramotor. I just thought it would be nice. Where you didn’t have to worry if your throttle slipped and the wire gets stuck in prop. I know that wont happen with openppg but would be nice to have something small with cruise control start and stop and voltage meter and battery gauge and not ever having to worry about wire getting caught! Sorry if it’s a useless question.

I’ve been following efoil.bulders and they are all using wireless for their electric hydrofoil surfboards. They are open source as well. VeFoil is also a member of that group and they designed a production version that will be available later this spring. They have the additional task of making them waterproof and float. They have some pretty good safety features built into the programming as well.

3 Likes

Eek! Wireless would spook me. if there is 1 critical control you wouldnt want jamming or disconnecting during flight (due to low transmitter battery or interference or whatever) its the throttle!

Since it’s a thin electrical wire and not a throttle wire, perhaps you could Velcro it to your arm or whatever so there is no loose cable and no risk of getting caught. Might be safer than wireless?

There are three big downsides I see for a wireless throttle system

1. Reliability - It’s another thing to worry about. @davek79 mentioned interference and this is definitely a concern. Even though the controller will only be a few feet away max while flying there are still numerous ways for the connection to broken, especially for a bi-directional system (ie sending throttle position, receiving battery stats etc)

2. Battery power - It’s another thing to charge. No matter how efficient we make the electronics eventually you’ll show up to fly and realize it’s dead and you forgot to charge the controller too. Worse yet the controller dies while flying.

3. It’s detached - It’s another thing to lose. Besides providing a reliable power and data connection that controller wire does something else - It’s a tether. Forgetful people like me will inevitably show up to fly only to realize I left the controller (charging) at home. Since I cant get off the ground without it there goes another precious day of flying.

All that being said here’s some good news: The controller is open source! If you really want to ditch the wires go for it. There are plenty of RC car controllers that as long as they speak PWM should work great. If you still want battery and other info displayed there are boards the come with battery ports built in. This one will charge the battery off of USB and then seamlessly switch over. It even provides a way to read the battery voltage so you aren’t left with a dead controller.
Hope this helps!

3 Likes

I agree with @zjwhitehead and @davek79

the throttle is connected with the control unit with a thin cable only. You can make it as long or as short as you wish, it’s extremely flexible (unlike the sturdy steel wire cables of 2-stroke paramotors) and therefore very easy to handle.

I would not want to worry about keeping up the wireless connection and the throttle to be charged. Too much stuff to think about in pre-flight preparations.

I think I would agree with simplicity.
In the Airforce they used to keep saying to us keep the “KISS” theory
Keep It Simply Stupid.
No insults intended but safety & simplicity go well together :slight_smile:

Paul
Is the .stl file for the throttle available? I have access to a Stratasys Dimension 1200 and would like to get a better print.
-R

Heres the controller files if you want to print your own.
Left main 2.stl (1.3 MB)
Right main 2.stl (1.3 MB)
top.stl (670.6 KB)

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll print them today.

BTW, I didn’t get enough 20mm standoffs. You can see in the pic I only have one package. That got me through the stand, base plate and the motor mounts, but that’s as far as I can go.
Also, I don’t have enough 4mm motor mount screws. Was only able to put 2/motor in.
-Rob

openppg

Paul,
Ok, I’m good to go with the motor mount screws. Found them at my local ACE.
Couldn’t find the standoffs though.

Never mind…just checked again and it is the 45 mm stand offs for the arms.

You all good then let me know if you are missing any parts.

Yes, thank you.
BTW, are the hoop connector files available? I did not see them on the GitHub.

Print of the throttle.

In the circuit diagram there is a VL53LOX mentioned.
Is this how we measure the position of the throttle ie by measuring distance.
Looks like the picture with red button ontop is plastic rod. Is its position somehow measured.
Has someone got the details of how to fit the parts inside the throttle housing.
Button, LED, vibration motor & display are clear.
There are separate LM35 mounted in the battery which measures each lipo.
Not sure what the SPORT is for. It mentions FRSKY daisy chain so guess that is for getting battery status.
Why not use a simple potentiometer either with a slider or lineair as per below.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Electronic-Building-Blocks-Slide-Potentiometer-Potentiometer-Adjustment-Module/32275591293.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.268.1cb73c00XkZbkz
LINEAR POSITION SENSOR / SPRING-LOADED POTENTIOMETER / ANALOG / HIGH-PRECISION
9600 SERIES