Old School Throttle

Ok, based on the batch 3 throttle components I had to redesign the old school throttle. Paul gave me the CAD files and this is what I came up with. Making a few modifications then I’ll test it on the machine, then test in in the air. Pretty happy with the results.

2 Likes

Not sure what to make of it!
I am liking the new feel of the OpenPPG version in my batch3
Did not like the feel of my old Kangook ICE throttle that is for sure.
Might come down to me not having enough experience with either!

Well from someone who has flown for over 15 years with the old school brake handle type throttle, this is my comfort zone.

1 Like

Nice! I’m glad you were able to make those modifications fairly easily.
Let us know how you like it when you get a chance to use it in the air

The solution for hands free PPG wing handling,… a mouth throttle, :wink:

I like it! would you share the modified files with us ?

I will as soon as I have tested it in flight.

I get the hands free mouth design but why did you see the need to use ski poles?

That brings back memories! I used to fly a Doodlebug powered hang glider and that had a mouth throttle as standard takeoff procedure. Here’s a photo from about 2005

2 Likes

Ski poles: because we were slaloming through a course on the beach and it helped us keeping our balance. And in my case, I was on custom trick skis with rounded edges only 1m long and no guiding groove in the center - in other words, it felt more like riding on ball bearings;-)

1 Like

Nice shot! The only problem with the mouth throttle at the beach was that if you were a short guy, the throttle was touching the sand and if slightly wet, the grains of sand were sticking to the wooden clothe pin you had to put in your mouth… Another drawback was that after a few minutes of flight, since the pilot’s mouth was not fully closed, all the internal moisture was evaporating with the airspeed effect and it felt like chewing on a piece of chalk after a while.

1 Like

Seeing as I have not really settled into any particular grove for a throttle – I might print it just to see how it feels. If I dont like it I could give it to someone that does not have a printer.

Cheers

Printing the final throttle design and PCB case. Printing - YouTube

Printing complete

2 Likes

Looks good for those that like that style controller.

@dzubot It appears SimLoop designed a PCB cover.

1 Like

Can you share the pcb cover print file please?

Nice!
If you need to tweak the PCB case I have the Fusion files for the board that might help.
Message me if you want them

I have the box made and will be designing the cover based on fit. Once I get everything fitted properly I’ll post the .stl files.

1 Like

Here you go.ControllerPCB.STL (222.9 KB)
ControllerPCBTop.STL (117.3 KB)

2 Likes

Excellent thank you