New MGM controller

b15 flight 50 ah eprop dec 17 21.xls.zip (173.3 KB)
hi everyone,

I’ve recently started testing the new generation of controllers from MGM. I’ve installed the HBCi 30063, which is an upgrade from the previous HBC 25063.

Before I give you results, I need to talk about the process to actually get this controller from MGM.

I have bought 4 MGM controllers in the past 7 years, and been generally satisfied with the technology, and the company’s support, particularly in the beginning when the company was much smaller. I visited the factory in the Czech Republic and met with the Managing Director, Martin Dvorsky who showed me around and helped greatly to get the procduct I needed.

Most of the time, the response time was quick, and a number of problems were remedied quickly - problems that were mostly mine and due to the
one main criticism of the MGM system and company. Communications. Their English manual is very poorly written, and I even offered to help rewrite it (I’m a professional writer), without success. A better manual could have reduced my communications to the company by at least 50% if not more

I was also dissatisfied with the communications module that must be bought separately and is connected to the controller with a fragile plug and wires, which kept failing. This made programming the controller very challenging at times.

The controllers are sophisticated, with the telemetry and programming, which means they are expensive. You get what you pay for, but when you live half a world away, the costs can really add up, particulary if you need service.

MGM has since grown substantially. When I heard about the new genertion of controllers, I was intriqued and enquired about the new capabilities, specifically asking if the communications had a bluetooth or wifi capability. No, communications are the same, I was told, but the controller is much better at cooling and had a higher power rating.

I wanted to order a new motor as well, but the process became very complicated to get a motor matched to the controller. In the end, I ordered just the controller and a motor/controller from Geiger to do some comparisons.

When the controller arrived, there was no RS232 port, which is what my flight displays used in the last generation. When I asked, I was told that none of my flight instruments would work, and that I had not told them I specifically wanted to use these instruments when I ordered.

When I objected, I was further told that I could not expect a company to maintain backwards compatibility with technology that was 6 years old. I noted my working 2015 Macbook, but that went unheard. I proposed a solution but I’ve not heard from the company in more than two weeks.

So… if you are tempted to order an MGM controller, make sure you understand completely the capabilities, particularly if you are upgrading.

As for the controller itself, it is much better. It is slightly larger and does run cooler and I ordered it with Molex connectors to ensure everything stays connected. But even though the CONNECTOR stayed connected, I had a motor wire pull out of plug the other day. You need a special crimpiing tool and it’s a bit of an art to crimp the plugs well. I now pre solder the wire ends and then solder the connection after the crimp.

I’ve included the data file for the last test flight. Flying our coastal site in a Mentor 6 (26m2), with a wind of 7 knots, I was able to fly 35 minutes using 27 Ah of a 15S 50AH battery (42 Ah useable). That’s 0.77 Ah/min, or 54 min of flight time on that battery. Total weight of my homebuilt parameter: 28 kg (14 kg battery)

For those who are programming savvy, the new genertion offers new possibilities to connect a range of control devices. You still have, however, a dinky USB interface device to connect with fragile wires. Why didn’t they put that on the INSIDE with a nice USB 3 female socket?

Total cost of the controller with molex connectors and USB comms device was 1600 Euros, without shippling.

safe flying!

I did a search on the 30063 – no such beast. Search on the 25063 pulled up 6 controllers – did they pull it?
Cheers

previously 17 pcs. esc used by mgm. all actively fly with it. so far not a single problem with eppg and e-trike. the oldest has been in use for almost 10 years. there is nothing more to say about it.

1 Like

Looking at the TMM 80063-3 but not understanding their pricing
1 619,00 € = 100 Cdn or 76 USD ?

you are in the rc-model area. the industry department is responsible for aviation.

1 Like

I’m about a year into the development of a system using an MGM controller (HBC 280120-3) and Rotex motor (RET-60) and my experience has been much like yours.

I suggested they start a forum for people to collaborate but they were concerned about privacy, liability and the corporate competition.

I could have saved myself a lot of headaches with some good support.

I’m using the rs-232, maybe you can tell me more about your display?

Thanks,
Jim

1 Like

Nice test rig.
You should close that gate during testing – some kid or dog comes up to that spinning :scream:
Cheers

Thomas, you made my point for me by advising E-push to look at a different MGM site. There is little to say about the MGM tech, but a LOT to say about communications and service. We ALL wish we had your skills and experience to further our electric passions, and maybe it’s easier for you to communicate with MGM because of this.

One of the instruments that no longer works is the Cockpit wireless display that you have programmed. It would be fantastic to have that work on the new controller, and offer my assistance (and a friend’s programming skills to make that happen. Otherwise, it’s another item of e-waste. Blue skies…

Hey Jim, as e-pusher says NICE rig…

I have three displays… two from MGM (looks like you have one) and one from Cockpit that is wireless and programmed by bratwurst. they all rely on RS 232. I love the Cockpit, which incorporates data logging. Unless I can find a work around to use the CAN bus on the new controller, they will all be useless for me. Let me know what you need in a PM. good luck with the project!

Hi Peter,

The fact is that all displays that I have sold to pilots have worked flawlessly to this day. everyone used it for what it was intended for. if you want a system that is completely individual for you, you will find many companies that specialize in it. I and all my colleagues will continue to fly with the 18063, 25063, 50063 for the next few years. never change a perfectly functioning system is my opinion.

Hey Thomas,

As I said, the Cockpit is great, although it has not worked 'flawlessly" for all pilots you have sold it to. Mine had to be repaired. Yes, I used it as intended.

Your comment about never changing a perfectly functioning system made me think about the role of innovation. Coming from someone who has, more than most, innovated a new way to fly and completely disrupted the ‘perfecdtly functioning system’ of petrol paramotors, the comment was somewhat ironic and reminded me of the quote from George Bernard Shaw:

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” (and women… my add)

In any event, my application needed a stronger controller and that’s why I chose the new generation of MGM controllers. In the spirit of Openppg, my intention in my earlier post and request was to foster some collaboration so other pilots could also enjoy the Cockpit wireless flight instrument who would be using that controller.

there is some good news after finally talking with MGM. The UART port should be able to run the Cockpit, though the dongle will need a separate power source. More after I talk with them in January

Happy Solstice to you and all the other pilots in this innovative forum. I hope 2022 brings some better understanding and action to our global issues and further progress from ‘unreasonable pilots’ to make electrics the only way to fly…!

Peter

Hi Peter,

i have a very strong relationship with flying quietly and efficiently. the drive as such has long been finished. mgm and all other manufacturers have done a great job. i can only buy parts and bring them into a harmonious symbiosis.

with the thermal eppg the harness and aerodynamics are now perfect. the propeller is now also optimized for this at 140 cm. A cruise of 40 km / h is now possible under 2.8 kw with a 120 kg take-off.

with the classic eppg i have been flying a 150 cm three blade propeller for 3 weeks. The flight is around 3.3 kilowatts at 140 kg takeoff and 42 km / h. a rear fairing will bring a reduction of 0.2 kilowatts here.

the standard trike is comfortable and lasts for an average of 45-60 minutes. can also be charged for up to 90 minutes using additional batteries. thanks to the dudek bososon 34, fast flights of up to around 60 km / h are also possible. it’s fun to fly a fast lap in the evening.

I now use all of my energy to build my F1 trike. it is built entirely in carbon and fiberglass, aramid. it is reminiscent of a formula 1 cockpit. thin tires also clad in a flow-optimized manner and a completely new suspension that also allows the trimmer 22 cm in height to be conveniently opened. there will be a huge hold for the batteries under the pilot. without disturbing aerodynamics. I then expect a reduction in the required power of around 20 -25% compared to a standard trike. even more so when it comes to top speed in the 65 km / h range, it will be even clearer here. I want to inspire others and encourage them to build something for themselves. there are now so many specialized companies for electronics and commercial goals that enough material is available. In the beginning it was interesting for me to support and supply others. today it is no longer necessary to deal with it here. regards

Hi again,

Very nice post and everything well said. Very interesting data. I can’t wait to see the new F1, which as you described is something I (and others) would love to build. Very keen to see the new suspension.

My latest project, though is a nanolight trike, which I have made a prototype with the MGM controller and Rotex REX 30. With a 16m2 delta wing, the trike took off with just 12 kW of power on a 130 cm prop. I am now retrofitting the nanolight trike with a Geiger system to test, along with the Rotex/MGM all using a 140cm prop, which is the largest due to ground clearance. With two 14S10P batteries, I am hoping for a flight duration of 70-90 minutes.

Here in Australia, it’s more difficult (and expensive) to source parts, almost all of which come from somewhere else (mainly Germany, Czech Republic, France and China). It’s not been easy, but then again, few things of value rarely are…

Fir gluck with your projects. I look forward to updates and the inspiration to continue on this electric journey.

Tschuss… Peter

Nice! Are you documenting the project somewhere for following?
Cheers

I’m glad to hear that your display may work after all. Can you send me a link to this company, I can’t find anything.

I’m trying to build my own as the MGM display is marginal, at best.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi bratwurst. I’m trying to do some display programming with my RS-232/TTL enabled MGM controller. It looks like you have some experience with this, would you mind sharing some of what you’ve learned?

For instance, the "communication protocol " sheet they sent me seems lacking. I’m having trouble getting the controller to respond using this guidance.

Thanks,
Jim

hi, is your mgm galvanically isolated or not isolated?

if it is galvanically isolated there is no voltage at the ports.

you can measure it. or you look in the excel file with which you ordered the esc under point.
right:
x K15 RxD / TxD (RS 232 TTL) communication channel RS 232 TTL

wrong:
K15 RxD / TxD (RS 232 TTL) galvanicaly isolated (2.4 kBaud max.data transfer speed with insulation)

greatings

bratwurst, it is isolated according to the order form. Can you help me understand why this is “wrong”.

Thanks,
Jim

hi, why the isolated version does not provide any usable signals technically I do not understand either. I also had the problem with the 50063. mgm tried to help me to get the signals via other ports, but unfortunately it failed. I’m sorry that I can’t help you here. but it is definitely due to the galvanic isolation if you cannot use the rs 232. hope you find a solution.

Thanks for that bratwurst, I’ll keep experimenting with it. Can you point me towards the “Cockpit” display, I’ve never heard of that one.

Jim