Iris Swing Arms

In my effort to fix the hang angle problem some of us lighter folks have been facing, I picked up some Iris swing arms and thought I’d share my first impressions. Unfortunately, I still need to pick up some M10 bolts so I haven’t mounted or flown these yet, but I will update once I fly them. Very first impression: QUALITY. While pricey, these are clearly well thought out and extremely well made (and well packaged, as some of us Batch 3 folks have come to appreciate). The design has the bolt working as a proper fastener and the arms rotate on a bronze bushing instead of on the bolt itself. The shackles at the front have little washers on each side of the arm to hold them from sliding left and right (a small touch, but just gives you an idea of the thought that went into the design). Overall, these things feel super heavy duty and very high quality. Noticeably heavier than the stock bars, but IMO a reasonable place to add a little weight. Unfortunately, as you can see in the pictures, I don’t really see these as giving much of a geometry difference vs the stock bars as far as enabling a further aft hang point, but I also haven’t flight tested them yet and hope I’m wrong. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade if you’re into high-g acro stuff, but unsure about whether this will be the solution for smaller people. Hope to find out soon!

5 Likes

Just got mine today too!!

I am 196lbs…Hang test with the soft links as far back as they can go was 14* sitting relaxed and 12* with legs extended and 10* hanging out of the seat ready to land.

2 Likes

Did you order them with the M10 mounting holes? Won’t an M10 bolt be too big for the frame?

Did you order with the M8 or M10 mounting hole?

I ordered the M10 and drilled out the frame to fit so now it’s stronger.

How do those angles compare to stock j bars?

IMO, the Iris bars are awesome but don’t make a big difference in hang angle. I know others disagree, but I just don’t see it. As far as I can tell, the furthest aft attachment is roughly the same as moving the collar on the stock bars to the furthest aft part of the bend. At this point, I’ve enlarged the attachment holes in the frame so I can’t do a back-to-back comparison any more, but I think the picture shows what I mean. The Iris bars are awesome, but I don’t think they’re the solution to this problem.

That being said, I’ve been able to get a roughly 12 degree hang angle with the Iris bars at the furthest aft hang point and with the strap webbing “backplate” that @JeffG came up with in the “SP140 hang angle problems” thread. Personally, I think moving the pilot forward with some sort of backplate is the best solution. If you look at any other paramotor frame, you’ll see the swing arms are attached 1-2" further back, which I think fully accounts for the 1-2" a lot of us need the hang angle to move back by. My current project is adding a wood backplate to move me even further forward with more of a recline and then to move the hang points a notch or two forward. On my last flight, my cage still comes scary close to my brake lines when under climb power.

1 Like

Way better that the stock.

how’s the clearance for the pilot, better or worse?

That was my next question…. Looks tighter up front with the curve.

1 Like

I’m usually pretty annoyed when swing arms are hitting my arms and I haven’t even noticed it, so I think fine? I think the arms attaching so far forward (I.e. in front of the harness) make it a little more difficult to get close to hitting the part in the bend where it comes back up, but maybe that’s just me.

1 Like

Am I correct the SP140 stock arms are mounted with a M8 bolt? Thus, buying the 8mm iris arms will fit the SP without drilling.

Correct. But the m10 will be much stronger and it’s really easy to drill out the frame.

Awesome. Thx for the reply.

I picked up a set of 10mm Iris Swing Arms for my new SP140 on your recommendation. What do you suggest using on the backside after drilling the frame out? Currently assembling it in the garage with hopes of flying it instead of my ICE rig on Sunday.

Nylon nut and washer.

1 Like

Nyloc Nut. Metal nut with nylon locking insert. Just clarifying. Don’t want to see a picture of his rig with a white plastic nut on it. :flushed:

2 Likes

Hahaha - I appreciate the follow-up; I’m a novice pilot but have wrenched on my toys for 35 years. :crazy_face: The Iris swingarms were mounted today - all stainless hardware, complete with Locktite and torque paint on the nylon locknuts. The red and black anodized goes great with the rest of the SP140.

Man, stainless steel and torque paint and everything? Now I’ve got to re-do mine so I don’t look like a yokel. I just used some janky bolts I picked up at the nearest auto parts store. I guess I’d better do it right.

1 Like

Did anyone have an issue fitting a 10mm bolt thru the brass bushing on the Iris arms? Mine fits 3/8, but it’s too small for 10mm and way too big for 8mm.