I finally bought an X-4 but

I bought an X-4 ( I think it’s a series 3.5) but I am not sure.
I am trying to familiarize myself with set up procedures and how to hook up
the batteries properly.

So I hook them all up according to the diagram the previous owner sent me,
(there are 4 batteries with 2 hooked up in series for each set of props)
I can get it to turn on, and all the indicators light up, but I can’t get it to
switch to armed mode.
I am sure I am doing something wrong. There are 2 buttons on the throttle control, do they have to be
both pushed at the same time to arm the motors?

Do you have a photo of the throttle?

I am at work now, but I can get a photo or two tonight and try and post them tomorrow.

I hope these are clear enough.
The batteries were charged to storage level. I am wondering if I have to re-charge them to
operation level to get this to turn on.

It says disarmed on the indicator. Sorry about the upside down, bad picture.

On mine, I hold down the “top” button with my thumb and “double-tap’” the small button on the grip with my middle finger to arm and disarm. It will quit beeping when armed, and the display will indicate “armed”. The “taps” have to be pretty quick on mine or it won’t arm. I hope this helps.
Bill

1 Like

If its powering up and there’s no magic smoke :wink: then likely all is well. The batteries do not need to be charged fully for it to arm. I have a batch 4. Arming/disarming is a double tap of the top button on the controller, next to the power plunger. Its a very deliberate click! click! required. I usualy can’t do it with my thumb of my left hand while holding the thing I have to use my right forefinger to do it. Maybe that’s all.

Thank you kind sirs!
The previous owner told me to double tap the top button, but if I am not pressing hard enough or fast enough, then that would be the problem.

I will have to experiment and see what works.
Thanks again.

1 Like

OK, I got it to arm the motors and work, but I am still a bit confused (which is a normal state for me)
What is the small button on the side for? The one under your middle finger?
Thanks for your help.

Attached to this is the quick start guide

Thank you very much.

I am not sure what happened but i had the batteries fully charged and went to hook them up and …

As i tried to connect 2 batteries in series (as i was shown to do) the cables shorted out and fried the ends of the leads as well as my fingers.

I am trying to understand what i did wrong.
Perhaps some of you who are less electrically
Challenged could give me some clues as to what
Happened?

Wayne,
So sorry to hear you had problems!
Post detailed photographs of the build and batteries, and maybe we can figure it out. Thanks.
Bill

I will try to post some pictures next week.

It is a standard build 4 bonka batteries;
They are meant to be paired - 2 sets of 2 .
Each group of 2 is connected in series and then to the paramotor.
The previous owner had no problems and flew it for more than a year.
He gave me a simple diagram of how the batteries are to be connected and even a dummy like me can understand it.
The 4 batteries are mounted on a 3 d printed slide system that holds them in place. The 2 top
Batteries connect together and the same with the 2 bottom ones.
I had placed the batteries in the slides in order,

He had them numbered 1 - 4 so it is completely idiot proof.
I installed the batteries in order, connected the balance leads onto the monitors (or whatever they are called) then i was going to connect the top group of 2 in series. 1 red to 1 black, the other 2 leads go to the connections on the paramotor. I didn’t even get the first set connected when this happened.
How is this possible?
If one battery was overcharged could this have caused this?
All 4 batteries were fresh off the charger so they
Should have been even.

We are only guessing at this point. The pictures need to include the wiring with the back plate off. Also, please remember that carbon fiber is a good conductor and all connections should be carefully insulated between the plates.
Bill

There must have been some contact somewhere from the other leads then? But there was no
arcing on any other point except the 2 leads that I was trying to connect.

I will post pictures when I am able, I do not have a computer at home so I have to run back and forth to do it.

1 Like

In any case, thank you for your patience and willingness to try and sort this out.