Help with controller connection

I am assuming it should work with only 1 ESC plugged in. I could indeed try all 4 but didn’t want too much current at this stage of testing. I have tried one of the other motor/ESCs but not at the same time. I am using 2 6S Lipos in series. Also, I am still assuming the hub requires 5v. As delivered the dc to dc converter was giving out less than 1 volt I think so I had to turn the pot several times until my meter reads 5v. The hub & controller would not power up with the original pot setting.

Without propellers on the motors your current will be extremely low even with all 4. The hub might expect to see 4 ESCs so it’s worth a try to test it with all 4.

I just confirmed that the input voltage for the hub should be 5 volts. There is a regulator on the hub to power some 3.3 volt components but the input to the hub is indeed 5 volts.

Have you checked the throttle cable yet? That green light on the hub should be flashing rapidly when there is data going back and forth

See above post: yes thoroughly checked it. Click on link for video.

Just tried all 4 motors: no luck unfortunately. Pls see latest video… iCloud Photo Sharing

It seems everything is connected correctly so at this point you may need to start replacing things. I would start with the cable, then the hub, then the controller.

Do you have any RC equipment? To boost your confidence that the motors and ESCs work and to see them run you could hook them up to an RC receiver and transmitter. That’s what I did to get them spinning the right direction.

Ok thanks Paul. I will ask Zach if he can send out a replacement. I don’t have any RC kit but if there’s something inexpensive I might buy it.

Did you try a throttle calibration? There a threads here how to do this.

The throttle cal sets the ESC to the range of the throttle. His ESCs are not seeing the throttle and therefore a throttle cal won’t even work and usually isn’t necessary anyway. I’ve used 10 ESCs on 2 machines and never had to set the throttle range on any of them. I recommend getting the ESCs to respond to the throttle before attempting a throttle calibration.

I had the same problem like the original poster and the throttle calibration fixed it.

1 Like

Interesting… was your problem on a batch 4 or greater with a hub? Were all 4 of your motors not working? I have a hard time believing that he has 4 ESCs that all need throttle calibration unless the PWM value being sent from the hub is way off in which case reprogramming the hub would be a better solution. With that said, perhaps flashing the hub would help.

Yes, batch 4 with the hub… All 4 motors were not working.
I had the exact same symptoms - everything looked fine but no response to the throttle. I tried it as well with one, two and all four ESC’s/motors. I thought as well I must have a kinked cable or defective Hub.

My guess is that all 4 ESC’s are seeing the same problem and the throttle calibration fixed it.

You need to power the throttle controller with USB power so that you can arm it before the ESC’s and the hub have power. Hold full throttle while you turn on the unit to power the ESCs. After you hear two beeps the calibration is finished.

1 Like

Thanks. I will try that as soon as I have time.

Make sure your props are not mounted when you do this.

Listening to the beeps (see video above & turn up volume)… I would say they are 1 sec apart, not a rapid beep: so more like the 2nd trouble-shooting?? Also, I’m not sure of throttle calibration procedure: is it just a matter of holding full throttle while power-on? sounds scary! however, to confirm I do not have the props on yet. I could try with 1 motor, 1 battery initially?

There is a USB connector on your throttle controller - you have to power the throttle controller externally with a power source and arm the throttle controller before powering your ESC’s with your batteries. In my case
the motors didn’t turned on, but for safety reason it is better without the propellers.

1. You power the throttle controller externally and arm it.
  2. You hold full throttle and then turn the power on for your ESC’s/Motors.
  3. After you hear two beeps you let off the throttle.
  4. If everything went o.k. - your system should now work normaly.

P.S. Use all 4 motors and power it with 48 volt (if two or four batteries doesn’t matter)

1 Like

External power to the throttle controller…

Just tried that and unfortunately no luck. the throttle controller was successfully powered by usb and I armed it. 2 batteries in series: about 46 volts (they are in storage mode). all 4 motors attached. I fully depressed throttle then connected the batteries. then wait for 2 beeps. then un press. I tried this 3 x. Just get all 4 motors giving a beep every 1.5 secs. slow green flashing on the hub LED. Thanks anyway!

Thanks Zach/Paul… they are sending a replacement hub & cable…

1 Like

I have also recieved a new hub and power supply, and controller boards are on their way. (Everything got burned when the power supply failed)
Customer support! :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::heart_eyes: thank you guys.