Gliders,wings , canopys

Any good videos on getting my lines untangled? On a velocity edge glider

Untangling lines is not unique to a specific wing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaelzdq8W5I
Good Luck
Cheers, Patrick

To the guy that asked about tangled lines, a good tip to prevent it happening is when you pack your Wing connect the two risers together. I usually plug one carabiner eye through the other but I’ve seen people use an old carabiner or one of those lightweight key ring ‘carabiner’ things or even just a bit of string.

Paul

For when you get your tangle out – here is a good method for loose storage in the larger bags:
Capt Kurt showing line folding/wing storage

Fyi I have not tried it but saw a ppgr this summer that did it and been meaning to adopt it. I store mine loosely by gathering the lines in a circle/loop then put them on the wing and pull a piece (not the nose section) through the loop so the lines cant move around - has served me well so far. I have had a half dozen or so tangles but most of them were from wing collapses during ground training and only a few from putting wing away, most likely as I was in a rush!
Cheers, Patrick

Always start with the A’s.

I had a few bad tangles trying to learn how to kite my wing.
I tried the above method but it only seemed to cause more tangles, it would free one
line, but tangle up the others . I had to unhook each line one by one from the lanyards and
pull them through the knott, then re hook them up un tangled. Took me several hours.

If there is an easier way, I have not found it. I’ve watched several untangling videos and none
of them really helped.

The worst one, I had wrapped the wing around a telephone line and had to leave it there for several hours until the wind died down. The wing was in such a knot I thought it was hopeless, but I did get
it eventually. It took about 3 days off and on. If the outer edge has passed through some of the center cascade lines, you may have to undo some of them as well. It is tedious to unhook the lines,
but it does work. Hope this helps.

separate the risers and start at the leading edge of the wing and work down to the risers to untangle the lines.

1 Like

Take the centre-most A line at the leading edge and follow it back to the riser. Hold it in the air and the riser hanging down. Let the lines fall down over the riser. Very quick and easy. Been using it ever since I saw a Youtube video of a French Pilot/repairer demonstrate it. Well I think he was French :smile::laughing: Thoroughly recommend it.
Here is the youtube video link

Regards
2 Likes

Have been untangling lines every week year after year for the last 25 of them. My students are gifted in the spaghetti dishes Dept.:wink: I use a different technique but obtain the same result. What goes in one way, goes out in reverse. Holding the end of the riser high (above shoulder level) with yourself positioned away from the wing until the lines are slightly under tension is key - use the other hand to do the rest - the only time you need to reach up the line to a tangle is when a twig snagged a few lines together. Works like a charm and when done enough times it becomes second nature. Most of the time, the lines will only overlap each other - all of that can be loosened with one hand while holding the riser up as described before - it often looks worse than it actually is and many times people not realizing that will walk to the tangle which is the wrong move to make.
Sand: same thing, I work in a sandy environment (beach) and half the beach over the last twenty five years ended up in my backyard when I need to clean the wings after I untangle the lines. There are funky videos about emptying the wings with the glider upside down, blablabal, they don’t cut it. I found my own way to rid of the sand stuck in the closed cells. The small opening found in the last closed cell on either side of the wing from various manufacturers just do not work, period. They are a joke! I found not only sand, but, rocks the size of golf balls, tons of pebbles,… once, a set of car keys in a closed caisson in one of my school wings, the list goes on. Luck the guy had a spare with him. It is impossible to remove it all but most of it yes. I also found out that it is best to remove sand from a wing just before Sunset. When the ambient temps are too high, static electricity will make the grains of sand stick to the inner walls of the cells and will not drop out toward the openings, and the harder you shake the wing, the more static you will create. When the temps go down just before Sunset, the grains of sand will just drop down to the front of the glider - you can actually hear them racing out. It is all about details to make one’s life easier. I guess i should make videos, hahaha…

1 Like

Great info. I’ve been dealing with sand too. You should definitely make videos :wink:

Will try to make one as well.Phew! Gonna be busy with editing :wink:

1 Like

Interesting point you make about sand and ambient temperature. I’ll give it a try :laughing::laughing::laughing:.
Bit of a worry having sizeable rocks o a seet of keys in a wing and not realizing it.

I tried your method for untangling lines and was pleasantly surprised.
I had my lines sorted out in about 5 minutes.

I don’t know if this would have worked on the big wing I had before though.

The size of the wing, length of lines and the type of lines can make a lot of difference.
I got a small wing to practice ground handling and so far it’s much easier to dis-entangle.

It just happened that I had to untangle lines for my students this past weekend and thought about your threat - 1:40 GREENCH SEPT 15TH 2018 - YouTube
Cheers! Phil

Step 1: lay the canopy on the floor and pull the risers out from the tangle as far as you can.

Step 2: turn your attention to the glider by resting the risers and lines on one side and you should now be on the opposite side of the glider.

Step 3: grab any part of the perimeter that is attached to the top skin and follow it all the way around the perimeter back to the same spot. If at any time you encounter a line keep pulling the perimeter out from under the line. Only one complete pass is necessary to untangle all of the lines from the glider fabric.

Step 4: starting from the canopy grab a break line and follow it down the the riser. If you encounter a line keep pulling the break line until you get down to the riser. Then pull the riser through all the lines you encountered. (Repeat step 4 for the other side)

Step 5: Holding up one riser at a time take a look down the lines and finish up the last twists. This part will be obvious as the risers will not only be sepperated by this point but one line on each riser is straight. Simply put you’ll have no trouble at all.

I will certainly give your method a try! Thanks!

I’ve been using Xavier BEAUVALLET’s method since the posting cflyte made in September. It is SO easy…hasn’t failed me yet. Brilliant!

Likewise, I’ll have to check out these videos. I’ve been using this method the past 10 years since I started packing skydiving chutes. I’ve packed approx 9 thousand chutes and many of them were a big mess after being “cutaway” or picked up in a hurry by instructors and tossed on the floor in a heaping pile. Oh my gosh and don’t even get me started on student chutes. It baffles me that they could somehow scoop up a red ant pile in a cell on there way in… It’s the same tecnique I’ve seen all the faster more experienced packers use from all over the world. Very few know it and those who don’t spend loads of time.

Just completed a school wing cleaning which is done after each session. Those Easter eggs are about 3" long and were nested at the end of a cell :grin:

1 Like

How, Is that possible!? Haha I just watched the video and it’s the same way I described just using a different line. It’s also important to follow the perimiter of the wing. Because that technique will only help you is long as there are no lines over the wing portion. First step is to untangle the canopy then you can do the tecnique of following a line.