Gliders,wings , canopys

There is no best way. Whatever works for the individual is what counts. I have been removing sand and untangling PG wings for 25 years because all students are gifted at making linguine dishes. I have found all kinds of stuff in the cells over the years, tennis ball, a few golf balls, a set of car keys, many stones and rocks, seaweed, seashells of all colors and shapes, many pretty pieces of glass sand blasted by the waves, half our local beach site is now in my backyard :slight_smile: Phil

I realize that this question is a bit off-topic, but does anyone on the OpenPPG forum know anything about the possibility of replacing the canopy with a ā€œbackpackā€ autogyro alternative? Parasails must be replaced after a couple hundred hours of use, but rotating blades are more durable (and have no lines to untangle). Take-off and landing distances can be very similar to a canopy, though the initial rotor spool-up to a lifting RPM can be a little tricky. Nonetheless, the OpenPPG motor should have no trouble driving such a craft forward to keep the rotor going.

It would defeat the idea of having a paragliding wing one can carry in a backpack and hike with. A PG wing was originally invented by mountain climbers in the French Alps. A french industrialist from Paris loved paragliding but did not like the drive to the Alps (8 to 10 hours one way), and wondered if a motor could be attached to a PG harness. He went for it and it worked, The rest is history. That was in the early 90ā€™s. The company still exists (new owner though). They are located near Versailles (the chateau) not far from Paris and still doing well https://www.adventure-paramotors.com/
Your idea sounds interesting but would probably be in a category of its own.

I suppose one might isolate such flyers as a separate category, for purposes such as independent sports competitions for craft with unique specifications, but I was thinking only about the hardware and its possibilities. In terms of your mountaineering backpack model for the origin of the sport, it might be compared to skiers who carry with them sticks of wood, metal, or plastic composite to their favorite mountain and attach them to their feet. In this case, the ā€œsticksā€ would be rotor blades that attach to a hub on a pole to become a rotating wing. True that itā€™s not entirely folded into a backpack, but it could be at least as portable as ski equipment. Of course, with a motor this becomes more than a rotating-wing parachute, but a sport aircraft in the same manner as a canopy wing with a motor does.

I know it looks good coming out of Inspector Gadgets hat but this ainā€™t gonna work :grin:

First off, a gyroplane is a Very Very Draggy machine. My gyro, admittedly build for two people, needs a Subaru Impreza motor to push it. Thatā€™s 135bhp and sometimes in the summer it still barely climbs. When the motor goes quiet the glide angle is probably about 1:4 compared with 1:10 for a good PG and 1:50 for a competition sailplane.

Secondly, you need a rudder. Tilting the disk is not the only control input required. Throttle input is also used to change trim.

Thirdly, rotor blades are heavy. Theyā€™re deliberately made that way to maintain inertia in gusty conditions. Some actually have tip weights built in during fabrication.

But fourthly, one of the cool things about this group is the free ranging imagination and thoughts that people share so donā€™t be put off from Blue Sky Thinking :sunglasses:

4 Likes

From the man who knows right there! Interesting information!

Yup ā€¦ I learned something today!

Interesting idea for a backpack autogyro though.

1 Like

Bā€‹:joy::joy::joy:

I think ā€˜Deathtrapmotorā€™ might be a more descriptive name! Normally gyro blades are connected by a hub bar with an 11degree bend in it. This allows the blades to ā€˜coneā€™ at about 200rpm and above. The hub bar is mounted in transverse bearings allowing it to ā€˜teeterā€™, as the advancing blade is travelling into wind (usually the right hand blade as seen from the cockpit, most gyros are CCW rotation) it creates more lift than the retreating left hand blade. Because it lifts above the horizontal (remember that 11*?) it now produces a bit less lift moving the centre of lift back toward the centre of the disk. This thing has neither feature. And previous comments regarding rudders etc still apply. The gyro in the other post appears to be a gyroglider. These are machines designed to be towed rather like a paracender, you know, those parachutes towed behind boats with a couple of tourists on board. They are to gyroplanes what paracenders are to paragliders.

Still, no harm in dreamingā€¦ as long as you donā€™t try it out off your local cliff!

Regards

2 Likes