Certification oh Canada eh?

Anyone else in here Canadian? Since PPGs need to be certified in Canada this might be an extra process simply registering as an amateur built aircraft or a full roadblock.

So I’ve spoken to Transport Canada about this - sounds like it should be really easy. Essentially you need to register it as a self-built Basic Ultralight. It meets all the restrictions of the Basic Ultralight category.

Short answer from them, is you make up all the paperwork yourself. And basically you can do it now:

  • Make a 1 pager “statement of construction from plans or raw materials” – of your own format. Just says “I designed and built this” Maybe give rough specs - can point to openppg.com
  • Fill out a 26-0521
  • Do your best to fill out the boxes that don’t really apply – stipulate one wing configuration for example 22m2 or whatever your wing us
  • Aircraft is subject of – “other”: self-build or similar
  • Stall speed – use your wing, etc
  • Make up your own Aeroplane ID plate similar to this and send a photo. Exclude bits that don’t apply.
  • Pay $110

They will then send you a registration # - like C-Gxxx or similar.


Wow. Thank you! I was sorta expecting to have to talk to them. Great info. :smile:
Now to learn how to para motor!

Thanks for getting the info, glad to hear it’s pretty simple!

If you or anyone ends up applying do you mind sharing the mostly completed paperwork?
We’d love to make it as easy as possible for our friends up north to apply and fly.

Ideally we can put together a template with some instructions.
Let me know we can help.

1 Like

Yup I will totally provide all the paperwork templates. From what they said, I don’t even have to have built the system to register it - just need the ID plate photo. I think that’s the bit that will be the biggest pain - finding a fireproof ID plate :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thats about it – PPG do not need airworthiness certified - just registered
Not sure about the registration before the build though - my impression when I registered my motor last year was that that they wanted picture of the motor then a close up of the plate on it.
Send them a capture of one of Paul’s and then a close up of the plate on something that looks like that spot on the motor

The plate can be hand done with stamps

or electric hand engraver

then a couple holes and rivet it in

An instructor will not teach you if unit is not registered if they are going by the book…

Cheers, Patrick

Alrighty, so I was down at a Transport Canada office today and met with their AME with respect to registration. The conclusion was that this is a Basic Ultralight, NOT an amateur built. The online forms won’t allow you to get a registration number, for example, because they don’t allow “4” engines (only 1 or 2), but he will accept the design and the self-built status as part of the Basic Ultralight registration.

So it’s confirmed you need:

  • picture of data plate
  • Statement of Build from Raw Materials (self written cover letter). I’ll attach mine shortly on this thread
  • the 26-0521 form
  • And fee

Then we’re good. Ideally need to find a place to put 3" high registration letters.

My paperwork is submitted, ill you posted!

1 Like

Thaks for this, will be most helpful!

Great info - thx
I wonder how it works for taking my current rig that is already registered and change the engine to electric
Cheers, Patrick

The Ultralight Pilots Association of Canada (www.upac.ca) was out of stock on data plate packages recently, but has them on order. One can also get data plates from Aircraft Spruce located at the Brantford, Ontario airport.
BTW, anyone going to bring their build project to the UPAC 2018 convention, Aug 17-19? Visit website above for details.

Good info, I forgot they made those.
I am going but wont have my rig by then.

This one not conforming to type of acquisition - I was thinking we should be checking “bill of sale” off.
For “other” you would put trade or gift…no?

Cheers, Patrick

Not according to TC. They’ve accepted my registration, so clearly my answer worked :).

1 Like

Good to know - thx

Did you mail or email?

Email. Seemed to be about 48-72 hr response time.

Would you be able to share your ''statement of build from raw materials"?

Appreciate you researching this! Since its basic ultralight and not powered paraglider I don’t even need a powered paraglider license to fly since I have my CPL/PPL (pilots license) This automatically lets me fly any ultralight aircraft.

1 Like

Hey Darryl.
I have the Canadian RPP. It should also allow me to, legally, fly a basic ultralight but do we still not require a flight test on type? My Permit specifies "Single engine … fixed wing…etc. " Seems like an inspector might look for the PPG flight test record or ?? Trying to look up the CAR involved.

Check out cars 421.21 link

Here is another link that breaks down the cars. link

Says ppl and rpp holders that are current have all the requirements needed to fly an ultralight, checkout recommended but doesn’t say mandatory.

The way I interpret it is - if you have an Ultralight permit or a class higher - and now want to fly PPG - “A checkout is strongly recommended”- due to the possible different flight characteristics of the new aircraft, but not required.
If I show an Official person my RPP when I am flying a PPG because of an airspace infraction – they wont give a shit about what training I had on how to fly it, they want to see a permit to see I understand flight rules of airspace and then understand why I F’d up going into an restricted airspace.

I am coming across more and more info that suggest that the Canadian regulators just dont care about PPG at this time, most likely because we dont have daily incidences of people crashing into houses or city towers. As the old adage says, only a squeaky wheel gets oiled.

Cheers, Patrick