3D Printing Files for Connectors

Hi Paul, I got the 3D parts you were kind enough to share back. I was surprised to see that they were small pieces.

What is even more interesting is that I already have a similar set of pieces on my OpenPPG, as I bought my unit from Dario.

My question is, why not print one single part to connect to the arms and then allow the tubing to slide on to that?

I am sure there is a good reason, I am guessing that the strength of the 3D printed materials would not support a single piece?

I am working with a 3D printer that is able to put carbon fiber inlaid into the parts. It’s called Markforge I was hoping there was a design of a single part that can attach to the arm and then support the connection for the tubes.

Thanks

A 3D printer can’t print plastic in mid air. The strength of those parts come mostly from the standoffs that go through the middle and the bolts. If the printer is capable of dissolvable support material then I guess it could be printed in one piece but my design is printer friendly with no support material needed, aesthetically pleasing, and plenty strong.

If you want I could merge the parts as one piece and send you the file.

I understand now, yes I would really appreciate your help in merging the parts as one piece. After seeing the carbon fiber printed parts I am pretty sure it will be able to provide the required support.

Thanks for all your help Paul🙏

Sincerely

Dax

Actually… I just realized that if it was one piece you wouldn’t be able to put the standoffs inside of it. We could make it two pieces. Or make the center one piece with two tips.

Paul I am relying on your experience, the idea of 2 parts sounds more appealing. Are you familiar with Carbon Fiber 3D printing?

The weakest link in 3D prints is the layer lines. Even the strongest material will be weakest where the layer adhesion is. It’s a lot like wood grain how it breaks really easy in one direction. The parts I designed are plenty strong printed with PETG. Again, it’s the bolts that make it strong not the material it’s printed with. If you pry on it with the hoop the hoop will deform long before the printed part will.

Thanks Paul, I am actually understanding, so let’s do it the way you have it, I need to replace the top 2 connections completely, can you send me a picture of all the parts individually? I think I printed all the parts you sent the files for, but they do not seem to create the complete connection.

You should have two of these mirrors of each other:

And two of these mirrors of each other:

Assembled they look like this:

Plus two standoffs and four M3x30 bolts

Ok Paul,

So I will 3D print a set of these same pieces 4 times? I would like to change all 4 connectors for the arms.

A question: I have the original connections for the legs and bar will I need to adjust anything there?

I really like your clip for locking the legs in place. As well as your battery set up, I am guessing that is not a 3D printed part? The plexiglass… how can I get any of your parts not 3D printed?

My understanding is that these pieces you have designed for connecting the tube, requires the cutting off of the top part of loop on the existing arms. To fit the cut out in the groove and use the metal bars to keep it strong.

Will the same design work for all 4 arms? I understand that with a set of these, I will have to reduced the length of the tubing.

How much should be cut off? And a dremmel should be able to handle this task?

For the standoffs and screws would I be able to get them at Home Depot?

I hope you are enjoying Fireworks :us:

The only parts I made from plexiglass I redesigned to be 3D printed:

All of the files I’ve uploaded are 3D printable including the battery rails.

Standoffs are already on your machine. The whole machine is built with them. If you need more you probably need to get them online. Bolts can be ordered online if Home Depot doesn’t have the right size.

You need to cut about 0.25” (6mm) off each end of each of the three large hoop sections.

I didn’t adjust the length of the legs so the hoop is slightly oval shape. Not a big deal though.

Here are pictures with the bolts and the standoffs:

2 Likes

Paul,

Would you do me a big favor? Could you email me directly at Dax.ibiubu@gmail.com all the files that I would need to completely, replace all of the piece for the 4 arms connectors that link to the tubing, the latches, battery mounts and any other improvements you recommend.

I will get them all printed and then I will cut the arms loops with the dremmel, connect my batteries to the rack and go fly my Apco Hybrid.

Please tell me any other parts I might need to order?

I have been overwhelmed in figuring out the parts to send to the 3D printer and thought it might not be that much of a challenge for you.

I really appreciate all your help and my intentions are to be of service to the community in the near future.

Stay Well

@GliderPilot

I checked GitHub and this thread and I can’t seem to find the Batch 4 version of the hoop connectors. Do you or @Pdwhite have the STL or even better, the design files, available for upload (or can you point me to their current location)?

Thanks!

I only suggested that concept but @Pdwhite drew up the design so you will need to get that from him.

@liaviator Sure here they are tube conector.stl (447.9 KB) tube arm conector.stl (71.8 KB)

1 Like

Will the parts for the hoop connectors recently shared work on Batch 3.0

No, the closest thing to it for batch 3 are the ones I already shared with you above.

Does anyone have the lower connector files? I had one break on me mid last week. These are two pieces in batch 4. After it broke I noticed the infill was very light - maybe 10%? I’d like to print these up in Nylon, Tough PLA, or CPE+ with much greater infill and possible a longer section into the tubing.

I’ll share any mods back with the community.

All,
Please see the attached 12.9mm lower frame tube connectors. I received these from @Pdwhite . These should work on Batch 4 machines.

I’m printing up a bunch in CPE (stiffer than PLA and better temperature durability) with a heavy infill. If others need these please message me directly.

JPK

leg tube conector 12.9mm.stl (154.8 KB)

2 Likes

Batch 4 Leg Hoop Connector - Scaled X .stl (154.8 KB) All,

I printed these up and found that they need to be narrowed by to about 97% of scale to fit into the tubing. I am printing in CPE+ for strength.

I’m able to do this after-the-fact via my slicer, CURA. I’ll mod the files and repost here however so that you don’t need to worry about this modification.

JPK

1 Like