Winter flights - battery affected by cold temperatures?

Hi all!

I’m really interested in buying an SP140 unit this year, but I still have some questions.
I live in Quebec, Canada and I plan to fly in winter (here, it can go down to -35°C).

My questions are:
Does the battery is affected by cold temperatures?
Does the capacity of the battery go down impacting the flight time?
Can it damage the motor or the battery if it’s repetitive?

Thank you for your answers.

The cold temps will not effect the battery temp very noticeably when flying because the case of the battery insulates the battery quite a bit. So flight time would be very similar. As for the motor and ESC they both love cold temps so very cold temps are fine for them.

So as long as you don’t leave your battery outside overnight then cold temps are not a problem.

7 Likes

That’s what I thought, thanks for your answer @Pdwhite !

a few notes: the batteries should be stored above 15 degrees Celsius. if you then fly in the cold it is not a problem. as paul said.

you should note if the battery has been stored cold for several days, for example.

at just plus 3 degrees Celsius. that it takes at least 12 hours until the battery is evenly warm again inside if you want to heat it above 15 degrees Celsius.
there is a lot of mass that has to be warmed up.

if the weather is very cold and the eppg is placed in a warm room after flying in minus degrees, condensation can form everywhere on all cold aluminum parts. also partly in the controller inside.
It is therefore better to adjust the EPPG to a mid-colder room first. as an example, let it stand in a garage for a few hours before taking it into the house. eppg generally love cold weather. you don’t have to let the engine warm up like with a gasoline engine :slight_smile:

5 Likes

just have your battery at room temp before you head out, should be fine. it gets that cold here as well people call it Winterpeg!.

2 Likes

I got to play with genuine Tesla model 3 cells. Those where really cool as they had a high internal resistance when cold, but a surprisingly low internal resistance when warm. Because of this, the batteries are self heating and its the reason why Tesla model 3’s don’t need a heating system built into their battery pack even when used in -20°F weather. I have played with dozens of different li-ion battery cells and never found any other like those Tesla cells. To bad they just aren’t a high enough current for foot launch E-ppg.

3 Likes

What about the inside of the motor like ball bearings that are steel. Will rust start on them when they will get wet from condensation after many winter flights when it’s freezing outside and I have to bring the eppg directly into the appartment? Does it worth it or is a big corrosion risk for the motor? The esc is enclosed.
I have a textile cover on it but in the mounting area is still opened. Should I spray the bearings with something?