Which hang slots are you using (X4)?

I’m 170lbs and flying with 4 Bonkas. I’m hanging from the center slots. From videos of me flying it seems like I might be better to move to the forward slots.
Before I flew it I did a hang check in my garage which showed me tilted back and so I’d actually started at the rear slots. It seems the thrust angle of the X4 pushes down a lot so I had to move to the center slots just to get into the seat.

Hi greg. I too have found I’m tilted back excessively in the hang check using the centre slots. It looks a bit better using the rear slots but still quite significant tilt backwards. Could I ask if you take a look at my hang check photo pls? (I have yet to do 1st flight).

This is using rear slots.

I’m. 170bs (about 77kgs) and have been flying from the center slots with four, eight, and now six, 6cell bonkas.
I think because they’re is no torque the X4 is ok flying with a lot more initial tilt back than regular motors. Torque twist is not an issue. Unless you’re really light I’d start at the center slot. If that is too far forward you’ll be leaning back more than is comfortable and it might take some effort to get out of the seat. If its too far back you won’t be able to get into the seat. Either way you’ll be safe enough to fly it then adjust.

1 Like

If that picture is using the rear slots then I wouldn’t move them forward. I agree it’s not as critical with this zero torque setup but that picture shows you reclined quite a bit and you don’t want to recline more than that.

I use the center slots with the Dudek harness with 6 batteries and I weigh 190 lbs. I see you are using a different harness without a seat board which probably makes it recline more.

1 Like

Thanks Greg. I weigh 70 kg, 154 lbs so I plan to start on the rear and get someone to take a video. I’m happy not to have to worry about torque effects with the X4.

Thanks Paul. I am 70kg and using the apco split leg harness. I will keep on the rear slots for my first flight & see how it is. On another topic, I see the hang points are much higher than in free flying… I plan to use a simple loop of cord on the brake handles to extend by around 5 inches. Otherwise I can foresee arm- fatigue issues. I would rather not change my risers to “power risers” if that can be avoided. I would like to fly with my same free-flying wing which is an Advance Alpha 6 (high A). I know I need to be aware of brake lines being sucked into the props so I will check for this somehow. Any thoughts anyone?

Sadly arm fatigue is not an issue flying the X4 even flying eight batteries. I initially flew it with an aged ozone buzz z3 ppg wing.

I would try it without longer brake lines first. The risers are slightly higher but you also sit more vertical than with free flight. I use a mid B paragliding wing and I’m used to the added height. Also, with the extra weight of the motor it helps you get a nice flare without taking a wrap.