Traveling on an airplane with OpenPPG - my first trip!

I took my first trip with my ePPG. I ground shipped the batteries, and took everything else on the airline with me.

Batteries packed as instructed (discharged, connectors taped, wrapped in bubble-wrap, with a layer of cardboard between each pack):

Clothes and helmet in my carry-on (not pictured), and hoops carried on separately.

Glider and chargers in one piece of checked luggage.

Motor in my second piece of checked “luggage”.

I wrapped the motor in foam and stuffed into a small wheeled trashcan. Even though the trashcan was probably over the size limit (it only weighed 42 lbs), I got lucky both ways and didn’t get charged extra by Delta. :slight_smile:

Everything arrived in good condition both ways (although the motor was opened and inspected on both flights).

6 Likes

Nice! Great idea with that plastic bin!

1 Like

Ah ah ah, I wonder how the ground staff reacted when you asked to check-in a garbage can! Nice idea!

1 Like

What shipping carrier did you use to transport the batteries, and how much was it? Thanks!

Bill

FedEx - shipped it as batteries, no issues.

1 Like

And how much was it to ship your batteries? If I were to fly to say… Florida… about how much would it cost? Thanks for your time. (Also, and tips on how to pack batteries for shopping?)

FedEx had the following instructions: “discharged, connectors taped, wrapped in bubble-wrap, with a layer of cardboard between each pack” (see top pic),

It was $35 each way for the six batteries. They had a few options for “hazardous,” I chose the checkbox for batteries (the other checkbox increased the price to $100.

1 Like