Time until battery is out of charge?

Hi

So I read a few posts here that and I have a question.

Let’s say I weigh 175lbs and buy the “largest” capacity that you will offer.

How long will I be able to go Full throttle (Max climb) how fast will the battery will be empty?

Has these been any tests yet regarding this?

I see that the flight time has been posted as “40” minutes but this all depends on style thats why I ask this.

So if I go max climb, Will I be able to climb for maybe 10-15 minutes before the battery is out of charge so I need to land?

Lets do some maths on this one.

A prior post quotes 300A current draw on takeoff (full throttle / thrust).
Lets say you have a 40A/H pack at 12S. That would look like 4 of these weighing in at 10Kg: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multistar-high-capacity-6s-20000mah-multi-rotor-lipo-pack.html

So 40 AmpHours (capacity) divided by 300amps (current draw) = 0.13 of an hour runtime (aprox 7-8 minutes). This particular battery would not be happy with that discharge rate and would get very hot and die prematurely.

Double that to 20Kg of batteries and you’ll have your 15 minute elevator ride. A larger battery pack would fair better as well.

15 minutes full power is pretty much nothing?

It takes around 10 minutes if you want to climb to 10,000 feet (As example), Then it’s all power gone

Well It’s not a lot if you want to go full power but that isn’t ideal either in long term? (You wont go full gas in a Tesla either all the time).

But yes, I guess you will only be able to climb to 10,000 feet (If you want it) at maximum 1 time per flight.

So this isn’t the cheapest option but what you could do is getting a Electric PPG for shorter flights, and then a GAS paramotor for flies when you want to be in the air a bit longer.

Maybe pdwhite could demostrate (Or someone else the flight time like an uncut version no edits).

But ye, It isn’t the cheapest option

We’re at the beginning of this future technology. Maybe in the future you can climb for an hour. Right now we are at 40 minutes gentle flying on an efficient wing. It’s a good starting point. Besides, there’s nothing up at 10000ft except for cold air :wink:

3 Likes

Hey Vince… unless you’re starting at 9500’ :wink:

1 Like

Ya @EPPG_user I think I have tried to explain this to you a few times already along with others on Reddit and such.
Fight time is the time you are flying. The time is measured the same as how any paramotors flight time is measured. If you take an internal combustion paramotor and go full throttle youre going to get around a 30mins of power before youre out of gas.
I hope this iteration helps clear up your question if you are still confused let me know.

1 Like

Then the thermalling fun starts.
Also: what is the weight of this configuration and could add some more?

PDWhite made a video here: https://youtu.be/IvmQbtxeKuE?t=149
With max battery 59lbs

Thanks that is a weight I could cope with I guess.

And you don’t want to go full throttle on your gas Paramotor either. The engine manufacturer recommend to go full throttle only a short amount of time, if necessary.

Yeah, flying lower is what is most of fun

I have logged about 50 flights with my electric setup and compared amp hours to flying minutes. A large effect is the wing you are flying. The best we have achieved is about 1.3Ah per minute and the worst about 2.1 ah/min. Where we fly near the coast, in good conditions you can fly until you have to pee… one thing about height, low is more fun, BUT flying near cloud, what I call 'kissing" clouds is awe inspiring. it IS cold though…

hello, statements about power consumption are always very interesting. even more interesting for other pilots if you know the total take-off weight. if you like you can write it yes. just as interesting would be the voltage to the ampere. It is a huge difference if you use with 40 V, 45 V or 50 V at 1.3 A.Thank you

Look for a thermal and climb at lower power settings

In our case, pilot weight is 80 kG, paramotor is 27 kG… so 107 kG

I’d like to see some rethinking about weight distribution while we’re at it. With gas paramotors it’s all about the motor, with electric paramotors it’s about the batteries, and there’s no reason that all that weight needs to be on the back. Some could be chest-mounted, some could even be attached to the thighs - eliminating the tired backbone from the equation entirely!

it does not have to do with the project here. I mention it only as an info. since 2014 i use seat boards on some e-ppg where i install the half 20 Ah in the carbon seatboard. the other 20 Ah are very close to the back. since 2016 I use in pure XC projects a container which is built under the thigh in the harness with 37 Ah. I personally do not like a battery on the front container because my parachute and the flying instruments are there. With a classic paramotor like the 4 engine concept, I would like the design like the engineer of the 4 Motor concept to make the battery very close to the back. So handling is the easiest for everyday flights and does not bother…

What volts are you running at? 24? Knowing the volts is pretty important to figure your power usage.

It’s a 48v system with the OpenPPG

Not sure if its posted somewhere else, but what is the capacity of the two packs?