Throttle... Left or Right Hand?

Is it better to keep a throttle in your dominant hand or your weak hand?

Excellent question!
I learned with it in my weak hand.
And I am extremely grateful that I did.
From Handing emergencies to filming Endangered Right Whales with an expensive camera you want to have your dominant hand free.
Imagine untangling a brake wrap in flight…
Finding your fuel cut off when your motor is stuck wide open…
Dropping your camera or cell phone…
Or even the simplest task of hitting a button on your gps, vario etc!
Leave your dominant hand free.
You wont regret it.
John

4 Likes

Great point…thank you

“Handling emergencies”… I hadn’t considered that. It would make throwing a reserve easier. You’ve convinced me.

I’m training in Florida, for ~12 days, starting the first week of January. I’ll set up my shiny new orange cage flying machine with a weak hand throttle.

I imagine that the same would apply to the PTT for radio comms…mounted on the weak side ear cup.

1 Like

don’t know why I have always used my dominant right hand, but you have some valid points there :slight_smile:
maybe I’ll try to switch.

Good points I’m switching. My reserve is right hand only so that makes a ton of sense

The OpenPPG throttle comes default in a left hand version for these same reasons.
My first few flights were with the throttle in the right, but now I only flight with it in my left which leaves my dominant hand free for selfies more important tasks.

6 Likes

Lol… You have your priorities straight :slight_smile:

Zack… I want to thank you for what you and your brother are doing. You’ve conceived of, designed and built an amazing flying machine. It’s truly cutting edge and revolutionizing paramotoring. The fact that you’re working with composite materials, CAD and 3D printing is a game changer.

I love and appreciate that you’ve chosen the open source model. This is a good group of folks and I’m constantly impressed at the level of collaboration and innovation coming from all over the planet. I believe that you guys here are changing the paramotor world.

I’m often pleasantly surprised at the deep pool and wide variety of skill sets that are contributing to the project.

About the time I found your group I bought a conventional PPG, a Kangook Classic 146 with a MY19 Moster 185 Plus, a composite 130 cm prop and an ENA Ozone Element wing. I start my training in Florida the first week of January.

I envision spending much of my time flying low and slow, and just having a blast. Although I have a conventional machine, I’ve learned quite a bit here and will follow along with your progress and continue rooting for your ongoing success.

I’m absolutely going to follow along here and get on your next build list so that I’ll have two beautiful flying machines. Keep up the good work and thank you.

1 Like

My first ppg flights were with throttle in my very dominant right hand. Gonna switch to the left for my batch four machine. Seems sensible.

how do you switch the throttle from left hand to right hand? (i’m left handed and want it in my not dominant hand) thanks

It is recommended that your reserve is on your dominant side and throttle is in your non-dominant hand. It’s pretty easy to get used to.

Sorry, I don’t know the answer to your question but it depends which motor you have.

I have batch 1 so140

Both my gas and SP140 are setup with left hand throttle for that very reason. I fly with a front mount chute , so it could be operated either hand, but am right handed. It took some getting used to operating the throttle left handed, but it adapts quickly.

1 Like

@Pdwhite @zjwhitehead
Can you please let me know how to switch the screen orientation for right hand throttle?

You go here OpenPPG SP140 Configurator - OpenPPG Config and plug in your hand controller to USB and pick the throttle hand you want.

thank you.

do the 4 bolts (circled in red) need to be torqued to a certain spec? if so what is that?

I went to see about updating the firmware. I’m on 5.7 now and I see there is " Latest SP140 firmware (5.8) - ESC V2 FW only" . I see it says esc v2 firmware only. How do I know if I have V2? I have one of the first SP140 units, from batch 1. Should I not update to 5.8?

Thanks

The V2 ESC firmware has a different data format so you’ll want to upgrade both your ESC and controller to take advantage of that. Heres a video Paul put together

2 Likes

I’ve followed these instructions to upgrade esc to the latest and can’t get dfuse to do anything. The apd configurator sees the esc and says it’s the old version though.

Okay I had a driver issue

Here is the how to for anyone wanted to upgrade their esc to v2

1 Like