Status of SP140?

I didn’t say that with the weight! I only asked for the posting of pdwhite because it sounds incredible to me. he wrote that he flies for 60 minutes with 30 lbs of battery and 30 minutes with 15 lb of battery. In my experience, this is absolutely impossible with the batteries that are currently available worldwide.

You are right to be skeptical, 30lbs is not the all-up weight of batteries as there is a case, bms, wires, plate, thermal silicon sheets. The all-up weight of the 1-hour pack is just about 38lbs (4kwh pack), dropping down to the 2kwh pack knocks off about 15lbs but there is still the weight of the other components other than just the cells.

Ya 30lbs pack giving 1 hour flight time would be incredible, either a very efficient motor/flying like cruising at 3kw or very energy-dense battery. I think we will see it at some point but not in the next few years.

Do you have Ball park cost of extra standard pack or 1/2 pack?

Are you guys making these packs yourselves or getting someone to make them? I’ve not had any luck with packs for the X4, I ordered a pack from a company at the beginning but they built it for 200amps max, so built my own with vruzend connectors but they don’t last, the caps keep cracking.

Would love to see li-ion pack option from you guys for the x4, is this something you are considering?

1 Like

2 Likes

maybe it helps some of you. In the e-foilscenne, people from companies always offer to deliver batteries. many e-foilers also run with 12 -14 S configs. then you probably only have to use 2 packs for the openppg to achieve the high amps. I myself also use my eppg packs to fly with pg and also for foiling. here is the link to the forum. (my name is funboards.at)

1 Like

I tried this and received a pack with 200amp cut off instead of 300+ which is needed for the x4 and was clearly given to the battery manufacturer in China. Sadly the factory refused to take the battery back so Chris at VeConcepts gracefully took back the battery from me.

They made a really nice battery pack but sadly it didn’t have the correct amp output. Not sure If I would try going this route again since those Chinese factories will not refund you if it doesn’t work out.

I’m sorry that you had a bad experience. yes 1 e-foil battery is not enough. therefore I wrote ideal is use 2 if someone wants to do it that way. an efoil needs less than half an e-ppg. my e-foil has a maximum of 5 kilowatts when starting and about 1.5 kw when cruising. my e-ppg batteries “laugh” and stay “cool”. I can foil about 45 minutes with my standard 15 S / 12 P battery with 36 Ah. (sony vtc 6) is important if you are considering using a foil battery that has branded cells built in. e.g. sony vtc 6 or comparable. there are only 3 cell types that are suitable for 18650 size. it is even better if 21700 are used like the samsung 40 T or Molicel 42 p.

1 Like

Are you still on schedule for a possible May availability?

I just want to clarify I miss-typed i meant to say there are no plans to retrofit the X4 with the new batteries system.

May is still the current schedule, hopefully, the economy is somewhat back in working order then too.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying :slight_smile: It seemed too good to be true!

Excited to see the sp140!!

1 Like

Great! Thank you. I’ve got funds reserved for a deposit/order based on the specs you provided. Ready when you are :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I searched and searched and can’t seem to find the price of the SP140?
-What is the price of the batteries and charger?
-Price of just the 30 min battery option?
-Shipping costs?
-I understand May is the expected release date but has the coronavirus delayed this?

Thanks for yalls time.
-COUGAR

Also, has there been an actual official release video?

It has been said that ready to fly it will cost $6900.

Can I ask what battery cells you are using? To achieve the capacity you are getting it would take around 40lb just in Samsung 40t cells or over 36lb in just Samsung Q30 cells. Even high gravimetric energy batteries such as the Sanyo NRC18650GA it would take over 33lb in just cells. The Sanyo cells could theoretically handle about 12kw constant power if you could keep it cool with that 33lb battery pack, But I think it would explode if you tried to run a paramotor with those cells in a 15lb pack.

1 Like

The SP 140 will be $6,900? That’s over $2,500 more than the original 4 motor design. That takes it out of the affordable price range for many people. Hopefully the price will be more like the original design when it comes out.

Comparable units with ~1hr flight time are 12k USD+. It’s still (relatively) affordable, but nothing in this sport is cheap. :slight_smile:

EDIT 6.9k also includes batts + chargers, ready to fly (I believe)

3 Likes

Agreed, nothing is cheap in this sport, but almost no one is buying the $12,000 electric motors for a reason…they are way above most people’s price point. At $4,500, the original 4 motor open source design was an affordable price for an Openppg kit unit that is self-built. $6,900 sounds crazy expensive. I’m curious as to what is making the cost go up at such a steep rate?