Solar Generator

Hi to the Open PPG community,

My question is there a solar generator that is compatible with the battery for the sp140? So I’ll be able to charge while out camping.

I was considering purchasing a Anker SOLIX F2000 Portable Power Station or Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 2000 Plus. However, my electrical knowledge is not fully tuned.

1 Like

Yes that would work fine, the charger just needs 1000 watts and a 110v outlet.

2 Likes

Just a small note, neither of those power stations (at least in their default base config) are going to fully charge up the “1 hour” / ~4kw SP140 battery. Both of those stations are 2kw batteries themselves, so you’re going to hit under 50% charged on the SP140 before the Anker/Jackery is empty. Unless you’re talking about also buying the extender packs, in which case I still think #2 below makes sense.

1000w isn’t something you’re going to get with a typical small portable solar panel either. If the battery bank is fully depleted then you’ll need a hefty amount of panels (and under ideal conditions) to maintain that ~1000w minimum for the charger.

Sorry for all the bloviating, but I wanted to chime in as you hinted you’re still learning on the electrical side. I’m not at all very knowledgeable myself, but I have spent a little time going down those same rabbit holes. The idea of driving off into some bush and spending my mornings flying, afternoon camping, and sunset flying some more? Count me in!

Perhaps some other options:

1. A smaller battery bank (or no bank? And just an inverter from the panels to the charger?), and putting more of the funds into larger/more solar panels to try and maintain that 1000w minimum for the charger. Still super weather dependent. Plus we’re already so weather dependent to fly, and now we’re adding charging to the mix.
  2. What about a second SP140 battery? Still not an inexpensive option, but you double your flight times between charges. And when not on paramotor duty, you can still use the batteries as massive “power stations” with an inverter. I’d recommend getting an inverter anyways just so you have an easy way to discharge the battery when you end up with a charged battery and no way/time to fly.
  3. Gas generator? I know that might be exactly what you’re looking to get away from, but just throwing that as an option as you could pick up a generator and essentially unlimited fuel for what the other options would run.