Round stock Cage and Netting

Not sure if I am keen on using other than round stock on the hoops as they are often damaged and should be easily replaced. I like the idea that Parajet has on their Maverick with the plastic sleeve over the hoops to hold the netting. Setup would be easy and fast and repair would be much easier. My 2 cents.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I’m also a fan of the parajet plastic sleeve over the hoop. Heck, we can just buy those as spare parts from a parajet dealer…

I like the custom tube–aesthetically. Maybe you could design a 3D printed piece that fits in the oval slots at the top of each motor-arm, but changes the shape to round tube? Probably a few people would be into that solution?

A few reasons why I choose the flat oval profile.

1. Provides a more rigged frame construction. Circular tubeing has a tendency to rotate when slotted into is circular post. Where the flat oval profile locks more securely in place.

2. The flat oval profile also allows more reliable and robust push snap pin system.

3. Is stronger, more aerodynamic, looks cooler also the price difference isn’t that significant maybe 10$ for the whole set.

I’ll have replacement peices readily available and be like $50 to replace the whole set.

5 Likes

And what’s your plan for netting around the oval profile tube?

It’s going to ship out pre riveted and ready to go.

standard knotted heron netting can reduce thrust by 5kg on a normal paramotor with single prop, not sure how that equates with 4 mini props.

have a look at the nirvana style netting, its is more efficient for flying, less effective for protection but now we are talking mini props and not the big solo prop.

FFwd to 5:15

I have a hard time believing that, do you have any test data? Also, one problem with that style of netting is that objects including hands can easily slide past the netting. If you have any data on how it affects thrust that would be really eye-opening if its close to 5kg. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

It’s quite simple to test yourself. Thrust up with netting on and netting off.

It’s sowmthing I have been told and seen roughly in thrust tests. Engine manufacture demonstraights max thrust, yet no one can match it when on a built machine. To many variables day to day and tuning issues etc with 2 strokes.

On electric you are in a perfect situation to test and approve or debunk it.

I didn’t know that needed debunking but I’m down to test it.

1 Like

I think standard rivets with flat/oval shaped aluminium hoop is a very good option.

I currently have a Titan frame with round shaped hoop (from Simplify PPG) and taking the rivets out, repairing the net and put the net back in with new rivets is fairly easy.

I had to do that already when my prop hit the cage a few months ago.

By the way, this is the video that taught me how to repair my net :slight_smile:

Hello,

I really hope you succeed in producing an affordable electric paramotor. A great endeavour.
Since you use 4 fans instead of one big one is it an idea to have a square frame instead of a round one? it would be smaller, lighter, easier to construct and mount, cheaper and the netting would be simple. Optional a V at the bottum towards the supports in order to avoid the lines to get stuck.

Kind regards, Laurens

@saltdigger - Laurens, the kit is supposed to be available in just a few days, construction for the first version is completed, it is perfectly round, and that is good! Just check the youtube videos (search for youtuber PDWhite) and the main site openppg.com with all the renderings.

I don’t know whether a square cage would actually be much lighter for the same strength, but it could make it easier to fit through doorways etc. while assembled. Maybe someone with experience can say whether this would compromise safety in some other way.

I certainly like how distributed electric propulsion may open up new opportunities for rethinking how a paramotor can be designed. I’d love to see concepts for enclosed reduced-noise thrust nacelles, for example – or for props that extend farther from the pilot once in the air for more efficient flow.

square cage will cause the risers to catch on take off…

2 Likes

Here is a vid with a hexagon cage to give some idea on how this would look … not pretty

@dkellar yeah, it’s not pretty at all, and as @carbon said, the risers/lines can not rise/move upwards when forward launching.

Bravo! You’re on the ball with everything.

Here’s a silly beginner questions; what is the whole bottom half of the frame used for–the kickstand part that folds? Can it just be entirely removed?

It seems like the circular cage may stiffen the motor arms so you could add a piece to complete the circle. But still, could you remove the whole kickstand aspect?

You need to be able to have the OpenPPG stand upright, so that you can get in and get it on your back.

I can not stress enough that any beginner/noob should get some proper training first, before buying some equipment.

Also: Stop wanting to change the system as a whole, if you’ve never flown a paramotor. Seriously, it is well designed and everything has a good reason.

2 Likes