Price and weight surprise

Nsd, personally I think you’re undervaluing the difference a truly zero torque system like the OpenPPG makes.

1 Like

And… Openppg is nearly half the price of a good quality ICE ppg. For me that :moneybag: stretch for ICE is just beyond my reach today. That may be a good thing. Shall see.

Just pre-ordered a batch 4 and am super stoked about it. I’ve actually never flown PPG, only free flight, but am looking forward to learning. Endurance was something that held me back on the decision for a little bit - Having never flown PPG I’m worried I might regret the shorter endurance - That being said the real reason I want a motor in the first place is to be able to get up into thermals without needing a good free-flight launch.

There’s also some really cool innovation to the OpenPPG kit - the zero torque setup, the way I’ll be able to fold it up and put it in my back seat, not to mention I rent a small room in a house with other guys and wouldn’t have anywhere to store a big giant ICE kit. Also, if you ask me, maintenance on this thing is going to be a cakewalk - I’ve built drones and been in the electric RC scene for a long time and the electrical power systems these days are so robust. Also, can’t beat the price!

4 Likes

7499.00 for an new eclipse with Atom 80 from Aviator.

1 Like

Another benefit for me is to turn off the motors and soar in silence. You’re not supposed to turn off your gas motor during flight, which means the noise is non-stop.

3 Likes

I teach PG/PPG year round weather permitting and have since the early 90’s but I personally will never buy another gas unit again. I have one of the batch 2 OpenPPG, made a few modifications to it, and really customized my machine to my meet my needs. I am now pushing my students toward electric paramotors even though I still sell petro machines if they really want one. The average pilot around here at sea level will fly at most 45mn with a gas machine before having enough airtime for the day. Depending on pilot weight and wing model an OpenPPG could reach that duration on two Bonka packs (about 26lbs), etc… my machine is at the 50lbs mark with 4 Bonka.

Something to also consider, is that if you live in an apartment, you will not want to have to deal with gas cans, oil mixing bottles, buying oil bottles, mixing gas, funnel, a hose or electric portable pump to empty the gas tank at the end of the day, rags to clean your hands or overspills, fumes, motor maintenance (changing rings, pistons, clutch parts, and the list goes on and on…).

Added to that as GliderPilot mentioned, the fact that the torque is non-existent and there is no need to purchase additional counter-torque fins to attach to the net, or dealing with various other contration to negate the effect.
In my case another important factor is transporting the PPG to the takeoff site calling for an 8mn walk through a wooded area.

It really depends on what the pilot’s goal is.
Another advantage in my situation, and I understand that not everyone lives near a cliff at a shore line, is that I can takeoff and climb for a few seconds before going quiet and placing my flying tarp into the lift band. This machine enables me to cross gaps I was not able to breach free-flying before powering off again and catching the lift band to continue along the ridge for many more miles of quiet soaring. And if the wind speed drops or the direction changes making it impossible to stay aloft for too cross a direction or weak lift, I still have the chance to get back to home base without having to deal with a pull start that may decide to give me a hard time when I am trying to crank up the engine again. Gas machine still have the upper hand on some level for now, but the way things are going, who knows for how long?
Here with 12lbs worth of batteries

11 Likes

Who said you’re not supposed to?
I love my OpenPPG, but I (still) also have an ICE motor, I did turn it off a couple of times to pull start it again only later, all in the air.

I assumed it was general knowledge, but may be wrong. My instructor said the severe change in temp and pressure during long descents can damage the motor when restarted cold. He said even a low idle for long periods could be bad. And I believe he said his idle was set for 2000 rpm. Growing up riding 2-stroke motorcycles I know they should be warmed up before riding, but I never heard that the they can be damaged in severe temp changes…

HHi Voltaire,
Great post with excellent pics. Impressive build!
How did you keep the weight down with 4 Bonka Batteries? What did your setup eight with 2 Bonkas?
Can you estimate the true engine on run-time with 2 Bonkas and then with 4 Bonkas.
I am an old sailplane pilot but have no experience on PPGs.
My needs are to use a PPG for thermal and slope soaring - engine off if possible. Long cross-country’s are not that important unless I can soar!
I am 71, reasonably fit, but 170 lbs. That’s why weight is a bit of a worry.
I plan to learn PG first.
In your long experience what are you recommending for beginnners like me?
Oh and where do you teach? I am up here on the West

Nsd…Are you just here to rabble rouse? OpenPPG is an amazing design and a very viable, cutting edge flying machine. If it’s not for you then so be it. I think these guys have been far nicer to you than most. Do you actually think that you’ll ever fly anything? You gotta do you, brother. You may be better off posting on an internal combustion engine site…Cheers

Great info Voltair! Can I ask where your school is located? I’ve just ordered the X4 . Please can you help with my battery choice… Ideally I would prefer a very light weight setup even if the battery life & flight time is severely compromised.

Can I please ask your experience with 2 x 22000 6s bonkas?

Is this feasible or is it potentially dangerous with overheating?

Can it be quantified approximately how many battery cycles are expected with 2 batteries?

I will probably later get an additional 4 x 22000 for longer flights but I would like to start with the light weight option.

(I have 60 hours PG experience and a few flights on petrol PPG).

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey Andy,
My school is located on Long Island, NY.
2 Bonka 6S: the flight was shorter of course - the machine lighter by12lbs which I liked a lot, but they were kind of warm/hot which made me go for a 4 Bonka 6S system. I hate the weight, especially where one flies on the beach - it is a pain to walk/run around with 60lbs on my back, or try to inflate a wing in soft sand.
I do not care about the split leg harnesses for PPG which is kind of ironic because it is the only type of harness I fly with while Paragliding, beach, mountain or towing.
A standard wooden seat plate full harness is the best option for PPG but the downside is that they weigh more. No so much an issue on firm grounds to walk/run takeoff.
Having 4 Bonka really made a difference and the batts are not heating as much. Never had a problem so far. I just wish my machine was 10 to 15lbs lighter😉
Phil

1 Like

As he has a x4 do you think 2 7s in stead of 2 6s bonkas would stay cool enough?

You can use higher discharge lipos, the bonkas you are referring to are 20c you could get 40 or 60c ones so there is less heating if your just going to run 2 of them.

2 Likes

So this could be a cool light weight setup for the x4 voltaire could use that in 6s too with x3 but 6s is more expensive than 7s now and andyoptom and i have a x4 system

2 6s bonkas is 12 cells and they get too hot (over 60c).

4 6s bonkas is 24 cells and they reach the maximum recommended temperature (60c).

6 6s bonkas is 36 cells and they stay under the maximum recommended temperature (50-55c).

2 7s bonkas is only 14 cells and you can see where that fits in on the scale above. Therefore, I still recommend 4 packs.

Higher C ratings should help with heat but they cost a lot more and I would rather use the money to pay for the extra packs and carry the extra weight and get the longer flights.

1 Like

Thank you for your datas - you really have a talent to explain things that i can understand them!:grinning:

You are right 6 bonkas same price as 2 of the 40 c 's

But if lightweight is important 2 of the 40 c could be great as well.

Special voltair writes he would love to have a light solution becouse of his special situation.

Maybe 6 bonkas and 2 40c batteries are the ideal solution, the 2 of the 40 c 's would be loadet fast and if they dont suffer to be used it would be nearly 1 hour flighttime together… each use

In the magazinetest pdf the reporter wrote that he had a good flight and 3 starts and fooddrag all together about 20 minutes with 2 bonkas…

But i think thats not for all day use becouse the batteries would die to early.

40 c could be cool if they really stay cool enough.

These are pretty equivalent capacity and voltage to the 7s Bonkas. Nearly double the price and slightly heavier. The advantage of these packs will be the built in packaging (water proof), apparently high cycle life (lifetime warranty). Another caveat is the 12awg wire. Bonkas come with 8awg. 12 might be quite small for our usage.

1 Like

You are right thank you for your comment.:+1:

Main advantage should be the 40 c compared to 25 c …

And the pricegap is 250 for 1 bonka to 800 for 1 of the 40 c as special offer price ( 1050 without offer! )

Great to hear there is a possibility of the lightweight configuration with the maxamps 2x 40C 22000. If anyone gets these pls post your experience! I might try but it could be a few months. Obviously much more cost & decreased flight time but might be worth it for the weight saving. Appreciate the valuable info thanks.