Paul B & Braedin B (GliderPilot & Glydrfreak) Flights & Build Modifications

To clarify, I was referring to post 128 about the rubber grommets used for prop blade protection. I can locate 35 mm and 40 mm, but no 32 mm as shown in your link to Amazon.

Sorry, it looks like those are unavailable now. I had a hard time finding the size I wanted.

Ok, Paul, thanks for that information. Iā€™ll keep looking.

Bill

32mm is 1.25 inch.
Look up
McMaster Carr
Grommet 1.25in.
rubber.
They sell them by the bag.
John

2 Likes

Thanks, John! Thatā€™s very helpful, I wasnā€™t having any luck searching for that size.

Itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve posted flying videos. I only fly with 6 batteries now and have a new wing which is slightly bigger to handle the weight better. I traded in my medium Tequila 4 and bought a large Tequila 5. Here are some short clips:

7 Likes

Landing sooo smoothe

Caution! These carbon plates certainly do conduct electricity!

The other day I hooked up a couple batteries on my bottom rails to test a telemetry monitor that my son and I are working on. Later I folded the legs with the batteries connected which sheared into the wires and created a sparkler show inside my house!

As a fix to the problem (and a fix to the damaged carbon) I cut away the damaged carbon which gives clearance for the connectors. Now if the legs were to fold back during a crash landing the wires wonā€™t get sheered.

In the meantime I think I will redesign that connector mount too.

2 Likes

Compromise any of the batteries?

Luckily I stopped it soon enough. It melted the heat shrink pretty good! Glad it didnā€™t ignite the packs! I donā€™t think it created enough amp draw to hurt the inside of the batteries. They run fine and charge fine. Iā€™ve run them through a couple dozen cycles since this happened.

Did you put that 4mm bolt through both panels using a long bolt or 1 panel with a short bolt? I love this design. Printing the rails now.

The bolts at the bottom of the rails goes through one panel with a nut on the other side. It has to hold the weight of all 4 batteries so I just didnā€™t want to rely on the plastic for that.

Thanks for the info. I bought all the hardware and tools for this now :slight_smile: My petg prints are failing to stick to my glass plate with hairspray which is the setup i use for pla :frowning: im using 240 c with 80c bed though. I need to check my flow rate and maybe try a clean glass bed. Whats your setup for petg?

Iā€™m just printing on a raft and everythingā€™s printing well now.
Out of curiosity what length was the 1/8th" rivets you used?

Glad you got the prints working. I used a brim since the contact surface is so small. They need to be printed standing on end so you arenā€™t relying on layer adhesion for strength. Rivets are 3/16 to 1/4ā€ grip.

@The_Wizard, i currently machining the latches and hinges. I had alredy the locks when i realized there is a more simple designā€¦ Also you mentioned that you redesigned the hinges tooā€¦ Did you share it somewhere ? I did not findā€¦ Iā€™d like to see them if itā€™s possibleā€¦
Cheers
Attila

@The_Wizard hasnā€™t posted anything in well over a year. I wonder if he ever finished this project. It will be fun to see your complete build from scratch though.

Havenā€™t posted any flying videos for a while. Getting pretty cold now here in Utah but the air has been really smooth and the sunsets gorgeous! Here is Braedin and I flying today:

6 Likes

Iā€™ve had these for a while but just now getting around to posting about them. I bought a 19ā€™ telescoping windsock pole and put 12ā€™ of streamers on it:

19-ft. Flexible Pole Amazon.com

I designed and 3D printed a bungee cord quick lock for attaching the pole to a fence:

I copied this idea from @les and bought this bow bag on Amazon to hold the hoop and wind streamer pole. Itā€™s a perfect fit:

.30-06 46" Promo Bow Case Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DR0X5E?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

3 Likes

Father and son air to air footage of OpenPPG at sunset! Video by Braedin @glydrfreak:

Best Way to Spend an Evening - OpenPPG - YouTube

4 Likes