Paramotor gets terrible thrust

This statement just pegged the bullshit meter to 11 on a scale of 1 to 10…

https://www.dudek.eu/en/classification.html

I can only recommend everyone to not overestimate when choosing the wing. the diagrams are a basis. factory pilots have many test flights with maneuvers that an amateur pilot can never do. Likewise, many of the world’s best pilots also work to ensure the classification. it is generally correct that a high wing load causes less movement in the wing. but if there is a fault, it becomes fatal. a small, fast wing is almost impossible to recover. the dynamics of the pilot’s weight swing extremely quickly and then completely destroy the glider. I’ve already seen something like this live. I also sometimes fly competition wings myself. small, fast wings are unusable for electric flight. the power requirement is far too high if you fly fast. to increase from 40 km / h to 60 km / h twice the performance due to the air resistance. it does not matter whether you fly a dudek snake, warp or itv piper, or kougar 2/3 or ozone wing. the difference is only a few watts in power consumption. if you only fly at trim speed below 40 km / h, a competition wing needs less power, that’s right. however, the drop is higher for the small wing. Therefore, it makes the most sense to fly typical EN-B wings with an area load like you would normally fly on a mountain without a motor. so you can act any tubulence and it is not aggressive. As an example: you fly a 26 m2 on the mountain with 95 kg. with eppg then with 120 kg. there lies within the permissible weight range and gives very good values ​​in the sink rate and has good sporty handling. if you want to fly with eppg thermik you fly with the same wing load as on the mountain and use a 29 to 31 m2 wing. then the thermal performance is very good. this has proven itself for many years e-ppg and ppg. A good example is the competitions of recent years

1 Like

I must say trims out the 19m² wing that I have seen recovers far better than almost any other wing. I got to see it collapse once… It popped back up faster than the pilot could look up. It wasn’t a small collapse either. At least 1/4 of the area of the wing collapsed. Also if you watch all the dozens of videos on people collapse testing the wing it handles collapses better than most other A certified wings.

The wing my instructor really likes is the Cima K2

There are 4 primary things that effect collapse recovery. The first is pilot input, if the pilot doesn’t know what they are doing and if they doesn’t help load the glider after a collapse the wing will take longer to recover. The second is wing design. The Cima K2 is an EN- A certified wing so it recovers well on its own. Third is wing loading, if you have more pressure under your wing it will recover faster. Finally is speed, typically the faster you go the worse your glider recovers from a collapse. The K2 is a little bit different. Due to the high thickness to chord ratio of the wing, for it’s size it doesn’t fly as fast as many others for the same wing loading. (This also helps with takeoff and landing) In the end it has a higher wing loading to speed ratio than basically any other wing out there so it recovers from a collapse really well untill you get into the 4xs and 5xs sizes. Even then it still collapses like an EN- B wing.

One thing you mentioned was drag. Most gliders I have seen have roughly a 5.5:1- 7.5:1 aspect ratio. This is great for low speed efficiency but because drag increases exponentially with speed they tend to have tons of drag at higher speeds because the leading edge often has the highest drag. This is where the K2 is nice because the aspect ratio is 4.47:1 so it may not be as good at low speed gliding (it still has an 8:1 glide ratio) but it is very efficient at higher speed flying.

Critter said that the instructor using custom stuff was bull. About 7 years ago sky paragliders stopped making the K2 so he bought the rights to it because he liked it so much. On the smaller gliders he uses racing lines for decreasing drag, and he also hand picked his own cloth for the wing and he has the wing built to take the load along with his own design on the wing.

hi bob, you write that you have been flying for many years and that you are very experienced. maybe you can show us videos? I like to learn.

1 Like

I haven’t flown a paramotor yet. But in my past time I build and fly racing drones, I fly power/ traction kites (basically mini paragilders), I build radio control nitro powered aircraft, I drive and port nitro rc cars, I compete nationally in technology competitions, I built a mini paraglider for the fun of it, and I was the kid that at 10 years of age I constructed a working radio control paper airplane. I even built a paramotor but I need to wait until I can get training.

I am one of those people who wants to know how stuff works. I met this guy who said his wing is better than any other wing that he has found (I met him at his house and his garage is literally full of dozens of wings he didn’t like) I was determined to find him a better wing so I started researching on everything I could find.

This future trainer of mine values four things. Speed, efficiency, safety, and agility.

The K2 is an EN-A certified wing so I would like to find one of those. First things I found. There are not a lot of EN-A wings out there. I couldn’t even find 30. I then looked through each wing. The first thing I looked for was high cell count. The high cell count helps keep a more uniform airfoil with less drag and helps more efficiently create lift and it can actually let it create more lift than a wing with a low cell count. I found the average range of cells in an EN-A wing was 25-35 cells. The K2 has 42 cells. I believe I could only find 2 wings with a higher cell count than the K2 the problem with both of them is they had a very high aspect ratio. so even though they have more cells than the K2, the cells where still wider than the K2. Then I looked at aspect ratio on all the A certified wings The lower aspect ratio helps with higher speed efficiency and agility for wingtip drags and wing overs. I couldn’t find a single wing with a lower aspect ratio than the K2’s 4.47:1. In the end other than the Cima power which is a heavier version of K2 I couldn’t even find a comparable wing. So unless I want to sacrifice safety I won’t be able to get any more performance out of a wing. Even with a sacrifice in safety there is such a small margin of safety to gain because the higher performance wings are harder to launch.

A few years back my instructor told a guy if he could foot launch a Blackhawk unit with a 26m² wing in zero wind he would pay him $100. It was so funny how he just couldn’t do it even after a few tries. Even though it was a bigger wing than this guys XS K2 it was harder to launch because it didn’t have the thickness to chord ratio or the cell count of the K2 plus it was a bigger and clumsier wing than the K2 without the safety. The guy later in the video launched his K2. It wasn’t easy for him because there was no wind but he got it on the first try.

In my mind safety should be the number one thing in everyone’s mind. Even if I will need a bigger wing than an xxs like I want why wouldn’t I get a K2?

Here is the guys 15 year old son. I actually watched while they filmed the video and before filming he was doing wingtip drags, wing overs, and lots of other stuff I don’t think most people will ever pull off.

yes I understand. If I read the word K2 more than 10 times in a post, I know like everyone else who has been doing ppg or eppg for a long time what it is all about. all right. it is not worth replying to your advertising here.

1 Like

Basically I know what wing I’m getting. But I think we got way off topic

Just wink if you are super dell :wink:

3 Likes

I’m not Dell. I’m not even related… I need to watch my self. I’m starting to sound like him. :grimacing:

2 Likes

This was funny. I wish I could try new wings!!! I’d like to try em all

1 Like

If anyone in O’ahu want to swap wing to try new ones let me know. Mine is a paramania action gt 23

His garage is literally full of them and I don’t think any of them have more than about an hour of use on them. He said I could buy one from him for really cheap… I may need to take him up on it until I can get more money for a different wing.

Lol your still sounding exactly like him

Let’s change that… The scout frame actually looks really cool and I think it has a fairly good design.

I feel like I just entered into some secret club… :grinning:

1 Like

Welcome bob! It’s cheaper than I expected too.

One of those and these would be a dream

Just a quick note on EN ratings: those are based on recovery from abnormal situations with zero pilot input. Most EN-Bs, even “hot” Bs, will recover from a collapse almost instantly, and with a lot more than 1/4 of the wing collapsed. I have personally had 1/2 of my Iota collapse and reinflate before I could even weight shift to the opposite side. Most, if not all the accidents/near-accidents/cascades I’ve seen resulted from pilots over-controlling the wing and stalling or spinning the glider. The reason why I bring this up is that a collapse on your small, highly-loaded wing is going to be MUCH more dramatic, and you will most likely freak out and yank a ton of brakes (because that is what everyone does the first time they experience the wing “going away”), and the glider will stall and/or spin.

If you’ve never flown a paraglider or a PPG before you shouldn’t be concerned about how well your wing will do tip drags or wingovers. Just worry about safety, stability, and handling. You can become the world’s next great slalom pilot after you actually learn how to fly.

2 Likes

this posting has been deleted. it serves to see how the action is on it. it worked.

1 Like