Other Electric paramotors

hi, if you fly food drags and the underground is not flat you have to work a lot with gas exchange and the brake on the wing to constantly follow the ground. this causes the wing has more angle of attack and and about 0.3-05 m / sec sink more self. this leads to increased consumption during flight. compared in level you need about 4.2 kw in this konfiguartion. at foodrags about 20% more to fly safely. if you still flies foodrag curves, the buoyancy of the wing sinks even more due to the inclination. Also, the braking effect and the lateral push even more. therefore, every one of those fooddrags like in the video needs more power, no matter if it’s 2-stroke or electric drive. to note is also: in order not to climb up takes away gas. in order not to get too close to the ground you give gas. This interaction also requires a bit more power. On frozen lakes or sports fields it is much easier because they are straight. There you can fly with less brake and gas change. my 2 cents to it. regards

1 Like

Das bist Du in dem Video? Keep up the good work you do…

Maybe this is the future…

combined with this…

yes I am. the e-ppg in the video is from 2012. since then i have built some other concepts mainly purely for thermic flying. here is the current value in the level with low EN-B wings at 3.2 kw. with my new folding propeller it will soon be 3-3,2 kw. your picture of the 2 motor concept by hannes is over 10 years old. Back then there was no choice of e-motors and esc. That’s why he built the 2 mot system. today, with thousands of flights, we know that the highest efficiency comes only from a propeller surface of at least 1.3 m2. a ring (duced fan) around the propeller does not bring much out of more resistance therefore worse in overall efficiency. In 2017 I built one for my trike. It is better to build the ends of the propeller to almost zero so that the induced resistance is low. and very quiet! who likes can come to the airfield greiling in germany in 2020 there is a big meeting for electric flight. Maybe we will do there a competition similar to 2018 in Austria. regards

1 Like

in the picture you can see javier (paracell) on the left and me on the right. javier won the competition in austria. simply as a general information: at that time we were flown according to the rule that you can consume a maximum of 1.5 kw / h. this was evaluated with special loggers as well as the gps. in the category longest airtime with 1.5 kw / h (minimum height 150 meters above ground had to be complied with) was the best 32 minutes of the average for the other 24 minutes. in the category highest altitude with 1.5 kw / h was the best with 860 meters above ground. the average was about 650-750 meters. start altitude was 450 m msl. temp. So about 15 to 20 degrees. Wind alternately between 5 and 20 km / h. 1 pilot could not be scored that the logg device has failed in a misadventure of the pilot at the start preparations. this pilot flew 2 hours and 48 minutes in the task longest flight time. he flew his construction the e-walk from germany. He is one of the most experienced pilots worldwide. I tell it for the reason that we hobby pilots have then seen that we should still practice thermic practice. Of course, in the background there are also pilots who fly with e-ppg already over 6 hours in thermal or 100 km fai triangles in the flat country. if there are competitions in the future, everyone is invited no matter which eppg he flies. The only requirement is a valid license and liability insurance.

2 Likes

If you want to see it, a flight on time. the next task will be in a few weeks flight to over 6000ft on start place. (9500 ft msl are legal for us in austria)

2 Likes

Sweet. What’s the weight of the batteries on that flight?

This system I built so that I weigh with battery weight: 40 Ah (11kg) or 80Ah (22 kg) or 120 Ah (33kg) can fly. the suspension point is always the same. I do not have to change that. in flight in the video, I had 120 Ah while the 33 kg battery.

the e-ppg weighs: frame 2.7kg / harness 3.4kg / motor 3.5kg / ESC and cable complete 1.2kg / propeller 0.38kg / shaft and adapter 0.27kg / screws, base plate, battery holders 1.1 kg
That’s about 13 kg total with the protective net and throttle grip.

That means in flight in the video I had a total of 46 kg. In addition, the rescue parachute comes to me 2.4 kg. This is very easy to wear because it is right in my body’s mid-axis, so it does not hang back like petrol engines. you can walk normally with it. But most of the time I fly with 80 Ah that’s 35 kg and 45 -50 minutes flying time. For Funfliegst, Footdrags, etc. I fly with 40 Ah that is then 24 kg and 20 -25 minutes depending on the flying style.
I myself weigh 86 kg. I used the Epsilon 9 in size 30 as a wing. otherwise I usually fly the ion 4 in size M.

here’s a video of the summer. It was very nice for us to be invited there. Otherwise you can not fly there with ppg. an exception was made for us with e-ppg. The nicest thing was we were even paid for the fly incl hotel costs, travel costs :slight_smile: Elektro Paragleiter Motorschirm E-Trike Thermikaufstiegshilfe E-PPG electric paraglider - YouTube

for the people who are interested in seeing the scientific aspect of propellers. on page 21 you can clearly see how our experience of diameter and blade speed are similar. https://www.mh-aerotools.de/company/paper_15/Hepperle%20-%20Elektrisches%20Fliegen%20Stuttgart%202015.pdf

Many ask me why I do not fly with 20 or 24 cells in series batteries? That’s easy to explain. It would not change the overall wattage. It is also easier to design a motor in the 3.5 kg range which has a maximum efficiency of around 50-60 volts. If you would wind the motor so that it needs 100 volts or more to reach the speed, it is very many extra thin windings then only half of the amperage may get. that’s the technical side to it. a very crucial point is that there is a limit of 60 volts for battery-powered applications in europe, which can come into contact with people. If you had wet fingers and touched a 100 or more volts battery on the + and - cables, it could very quickly kill you or cause your heart to fail. It is DC with an incredibly high pulse rate. that means very fine muscle and nerve cells respond immediately if you do not wear protective gloves. I know people who have made special courses to properly understand e-cars in case of repair or accident damage with regard to the voltage of the individual battery modules. If you were to touch the voltage at the input of the controller of an e car, it would be deadly immediately. Everything is possible to build. you just have to do everything right. then it is ok, of course.

1 Like