Not sure if an electric would be good for a newbie?

Thanks for that. That definitely will help.

I’ve been considering my first motor and after reading this thread have confirmed my suspicion that this one should be it. Also thinking that as skills progress and desire for higher flight times and budgets grow I can simply add batteries. Heck, I can even imagine extended excursions done by stashing batteries along a route like early aviators in the arctic used to do with fuel depots.

3 Likes

I teach PPG and the standard is gas. Gas will have the advantage for a while but not that long because what Paul and his brother designed is what many of us dreamed of long ago in PPG terms. My students know about my machine (Paul’s design) which I named the VoltAir because I had built an flown other electric prototypes and had given them the name. They have seen my videos and will soon actually see the machine. I already know what the reaction will be :smiley: That said, I sell and train my students on gas setups, knowing that if I could offer them another choice I would, but we are not quite there yet based on their expectations after watching gas versions flying for a few hours on a single tank. My previous electric prototypes worked but they had the same torque problem all one prop machines have. Paul’s was the fix beside the decreased weight factor. I soon will start training them with the Voltair but only for kiting on fields like this one (yesterday’s session) P2 TRAINING JERSEY - YouTube
The machine without any battery in it will make it the perfect tool for them to learn the PPG moves after they know the PG ones OpenPPG FLIGHT 2 - YouTube

2 Likes

I do not know much about electricity, and yet, I am flying my machine which has been trouble free so far aside from a few non-electrically related minor quacks THE ELECTRIC BUZZARD 7 - YouTube

Which is an awesome wordplay.

If you wanna know more, google “Voltaire”
and if you don’t wanna google: Voltaire was a french Philosopher :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. Every school in France was teaching the classics - I had no choice but learn about Voltaire, Molière, Beaudelaire, and such.
I thought VoltAir was a good name at the time for my electric proto after being the Sup’Air US. Distributor for many years.

I think I would like very much to do the same, I must find a way to afford this.
I wish I lived in the USA, I would come study with you.
Peace.

Disclaimer i am not familiar with the setup but the “Electrical stuff” of a battery powered motor can’t be that difficult. The “hard stuff” is in the engineering and design. I can only imagine on the consumer end changing out a motor and battery is very simple…

Electric motors rarely if ever will go bad. Bearings wear out eventually but other than that these brushless motors will last forever and never need tuning/tweaking or any parts or maintenance.

The battery will have a cycle life. Maybe 500-1000 charge/discharge cycles and it’ll be not worth using. On the OpenPPG you change out the battery every time you want to charge it. Unlike an electric car the charger is not built into the vehicle and the battery is easily pulled out and swapped for a charged one.

Yes, very simple compared to owning and operating a 2 stroke. Charge the battery, drop it in, fly, pull it out. repeat as often as you can! :slight_smile: Paul and Zach are doing all the hard stuff of ensuring the system is well matched and works together smoothly.

1 Like