Newbie pilot with only 20 flights

Hi all,
I have just completed my PPG2 lessons and flights. I have in about 20 flights, with Top 80 and Moster 185.
Question: I would like to buy electric paramotor for many reasons, but am really concerned if this is more suited towards advanced pilots. Thinking on getting the the SP140 version 2.
Any suggestions?
Steve

1 Like

Congrats!
Look at what you think your flying needs will be. Will the SP140 fulfill those needs. If you think youā€™re going to be the XC more kind of flyer than probably not. If youā€™re going to be the just zipping around the local field for the next year or two for 30 - 40 minutes a night than it might be for you. A lot of new flyers usually just hang around the local field for a couple years from what I have discerned.

Good luckšŸ‘

1 Like

I started with SP140 for my first paramotor with less than 5 flights under my belt. Iā€™m happy with the electric however it handles about 50% of my flight time requirements at this point. Iā€™m ordering a Factory R in the near future. Iā€™m planning on keeping both!

if I want a quick flight in < 50 minutes, Iā€™m grabbing the electric all day long.
If Iā€™m staying near the LZ and had extra $$$, Iā€™d get a second battery. Land, swap and keep going. you sometimes get in the zone with good music and just want to keep flying.

I have several friends who fly and they all do about 80 - 100 minute flights, Iā€™d like to do XC with them. Right now we plan 45 minute XCā€™s to accommodate my limitations.

hope that helps!

1 Like

Also, another thing to note is that the SP140 V2 is can easily swap between the Electic power pack or ICE. So if you think you might XC a lot then starting with the Atom 80 or Moster. Then if you want to switch to Electric in the future it will save a lot of money.

Starting with an ICE setup is also very affordable as you can see here SP140 V2.0 ICE Paramotor | OpenPPG

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply.
I guess i should of have been more detailed with my question, sorry.
I really want the electric PPG for many reasons, one is i donā€™t want to mess with gas.
But my main concern was can i handle the electric motor, torque etc. and especially quick response from the throttle as compared to the 80 or 185 Moster?
I am worried i may hurt myself with such quick throttle response. I only have 20 flights in, so very very beginner.
For me and what i want to do, electric just makes sense, period.
Thanks
Steve

It has more power than the Moster 185 but it can be turned down by going into chill mode. Also, you can run a smaller prop or go from a 3 blade to a two-blade prop.

So it can be adjusted for less thrust.

2 Likes

Definitely the electric paramotor is OK for new pilots. I would not recommend it for training because the recharge time would limit the number of flights per day. For new pilots itā€™s great because you can focus on ā€˜stretching your wingsā€™ without concern for learning all about 2stroke motor maintenance. Since itā€™s quiet on the field - until you take-off - and landing it might open up some local parks as flying fields but do watch your overflight of built-up/congested areas per your countries regulations. I bought the X4 as my first motor and loved it. I still own it but now Iā€™m looking to fly longer and further Iā€™ve purchased an Atom 80 motor.

One thing to watch for (less of an issue with the SP140) if you are a new pilot and your LZ is tight. Nail your spot landings! When you trained on that Atom 80 you got back to the field with the same thrust and a bit less weight. Electric is just the opposite.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your input. I had the impression about too much torque on electric paramotor.
I have a large, very large open field. How about throttle response being too quick, as compared to gas? Will it kick me on my butt when i hit full power?
Thanks
Steve

put it this wayā€¦ I started in sport mode as a newbie and it was touchy but easily manageable, donā€™t think I hit full power on take-off. I wouldnā€™t worry.
If you want to hear how I throttled on take off, youā€™ll have to go to the 8 or 9th one: https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17919290878370326/

I see youā€™re slightly nervous about eppg, donā€™t be! If anything, I would be nervous about a gas one.
After a couple of ground throttling, realising whatā€™s about, youā€™ll have a big smile.

Iā€™ve started directly with eppg and I love it. I have 17 flights on it so more of a newbie than you. :grin:
I just took it slowly for the first flight and because you have a large field, you can do the same.

Iā€™m used to hold the wing above from pg school and flights, this gives me the time to visual check it and feel the throttle level in my hand and the response in my back, if itā€™s fine I gradualy increase it and run.
When I left the ground my hand throttle lcd (custom) showed 7-8kw and Iā€™m 70kg. So you donā€™t need but half of what power you have, and less torque.
I usualy play with the eppg a little after landing because I love the prop noise and I go up to 10kw, so you can train on the ground with the same power that youā€™ll take off, just take it slowly. Get use to how much hand presure the throttle needs for 7-8kw power, how much torque is there and thatā€™s it.
I used to go to only 3-5kw than to 8kw for the first times, when playing on the groundā€¦I went to 10kw on the ground only after some flights because I needed time to get used to lean back that much.

In the video bellow you can see how slowly I took it first time, it had some custom made parts so I needed to feel that all is good before increasing the power. Now I take off at about 8-10kw and much faster.

Just make sure to do a hang test, see the angle, learn about lithium batteryes, their storage (donā€™t keep it full charged if not flown that day etc.)

2 Likes

Very nice flights and common sense handling hints. Yes, you are correct in saying that i am very nervous on getting the electric paramotor, throttle control. I was wondering if i could install the electric 140 version 2 on a small light weight trike?
Thanks for your kind answer and video. I had a look at it, this is what I was thinking as well, taking it slowly.
Steve

ā€¦is easier than for an ice-2 stroke. (Ive flown both)

With anything electric the torque is instant and the power control is linear and smooth. This is not the case with a 2 stroke. With a gas powered engine you have some lag between the throttle and the engineā€™s response. Then you have a lag between the engines response and the propeller increasing rpm. And those lags are not consistent through the throttle travel. Itā€™s easy to get used to but takes practice just like the electric.

Stay in ā€œChillā€ mode for a season. No reason really especially as a beginner to use the Sport mode. My students regardless of the hooking weight have to learn in Chill mode and the power is enough to lift anyone with the right size entry level EN-A/DGAC wing.
Hereā€™s a 220lb student in Chill mode. The flights were not planned on his day 1 after his Paragliding 5 day course but he felt confident enough and I knew his abilities as a PG pilot. The wind speed was closer to 10mph but learning in 5 to 7mph is ideal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psubaefj724

2 Likes

Thanks. I watched your video mamy times, it makes perfect sense.

1 Like

Wow, 5 flights in?
Jeez, awesome buddy.
Yes your answer has helped me a lot.
I did go ahead and buy a new Moster 185 with cage, harness and frame. I wonder when i buy the electric motor it will fit my cage, itā€™s a Kraft Scorpio. Purchased from Florids Flight Sports in Wachula.
Thank Steve

If your goal was to switch to electric later using the same frame, you should have followed the link Paul posted above. SP140 V2 frame is the only frame on the market that can be converted between Electric and gas without designing your own parts to make the modification. Also, the frame must be big enough handle a 140cm prop.

Personally, I prefer to have a complete setup of each so you can just grab the one you want to use that day. Then you donā€™t have to convert the same frame back and forth.