Newbie - harness for batch 5 and costs

im a newbie who just finished paraglider training in Draper this summer . my question is if i buy a batch 5 kit can i use my normal paraglider harness or do i need to buy a paramotor specific harness ? also if i buy the kit for 3200$ what other expenses besides battery and charger do i incur .

1 Like

Do you live in Utah? I’m in North Ogden.

Paramotor harnesses are completely different so you will need a harness. Other costs are batteries, chargers, wing, and reserve parachute.

1 Like

no michigan . thanks for the info . the other question is how well do these climb in lift with the motor off . i have heard they have too much drag for that .

1 Like

I’d say the difference is minimal. The added weight probably makes a bigger difference than the drag. I soar with my motor just fine.

1 Like

No difference really. It will maybe vary depending on the total hooking weight, the wing size and type. Lift is lift and I soar in ridge lift just fine without the motor.

1 Like

thanks for the info . i was talking to one of the power paraglider gurus in draper when i was there and said that the motorized ones dont soar very well and the engine has to stay on do to the drag . So it sounds like maybe the small props make a difference . im really more interested in soaring flights but not sure how practical that really is especially in michigan . if its thermally its usually to windy and turbulent .

1 Like

cool video . looks like its more satisfying than just driving around under power .

1 Like

Was he thinking about electric, or the more typical existing Internal Combustion Engine? Some engines can be tricky to (re-)start, so that shutting them off while in the air is a bad risk. That should be less of a problem for electric.

1 Like

Around here, a few people are interested to use the electric PPG as an additional helping tool to cross ridge gaps too large to fly over with a Paragliding wing alone. Once you know how to soar the ridge lift in PG mode and feel comfortable with the gust factor which is not that unlike that of thermal flying then the entire North Shore opens up to us.

3 Likes

An idling prop or a free spinning prop will create a lot of drag but our electric motors stop when we let off the throttle and a stationary prop creates very little drag.

1 Like

That’s great news. Both my daughter and I are very interested in the single prop version.
She lives slap bang in the middle of a line of
hundreds of kilometres of mountain range with virtually no take off points, but only a few kilometres from the beaches. This is a perfect solution…we would have the skies to ourselves. As an ex Hang Glider Pilot, I have found myself staring wistfully at the Ranges thinking “If only”… and now you have turned my dreams into reality.

I’m guessing that my biggest problem will be transporting the batteries for two Paramotors to Australia.
Many thanks for all the hard work that you guys have put in to this project.

1 Like