New SP140 owner questions

I just received my SP140 this weekend and I have a few questions.

1: there was a black u-shaped triangular piece in the package that I don’t see in the documents, and I don’t remember it being a piece I snapped off that was for shipping. Does anyone know what this is?

IMG_5110

2: Regarding charging. Are you supposed to charge with the battery switch at the on position? I noticed the battery seems to charge with it in the off position. After seeing how much the charger sparked at the AC outlet (because it has no on/off switch), I wasn’t sure if there was also a possibility for the DC connection to spark so I tried plugging it in with the battery off.

3: while running it up a few times, one time the system wouldn’t come back on. I kept toggling the battery switch to no effect, I had to take it off and unplug and replug the battery to get it to turn back on. Is this normal? That worries me about something similar happening in flight.

4: Getting the battery in and out, has anyone found a way to stop the corners from catching in the net?

5: Its been a year and a half since I last flew (it was my solo) and it wasn’t my gear so I can’t remember how this is setup. I’ve put the CNC Gooseneck Bars on. Is there a correct position? I tried matching the photos, and keep tightening them, but they keep loosening up. Are they supposed to be loose or tightened in a particular position? With the 3D printed plastic spacers I don’t want to make it so tight they break.

6: Any good guides on adjustments to the harness? I want to make sure I’ve got the weight on my shoulders correct

1st question
4th, you have to loose up the net before you slide out/in the battery.

1 Like

Thanks, it fit like a glove once I knew where to put it.

I only take the battery in and out if the hoop and net are not installed.

You can put a thin board against the net to help pull it out without loosening the net. Definitely easier to put the battery in than to take it out. However, I disassembled every time so the battery is the first thing I put in and the last thing I pull out.

1 Like

Makes sense to charge in-place, its so much easier to pick it up and move it without the battery in. I’ve been pulling it out between practicing with it on my back (trying to build my strength up before I go back to my instructor), so its been on and off a few times then back to the garage. Its also still in the 30s every night here, so I’ve been moving the battery back into the house.

But I can see long term leaving it installed during the season

I did encounter the no power issue again, flipped the switch several times while it was on my back, took it off, set it on the ground, and hit the switch and got the power beep… frustrating. I wonder if the switch is not getting into position even though i flip it back and forth repeatedly.

Thats a good idea, thanks

What switch is it you are talking about?

On the battery pack. Twice now i’ve reached over my shoulder and cycled it multiple times and not gotten the unit to power on, and then I set it down and either cycle it more times or plug/unplug and suddenly the unit comes alive and does its startup chirp and lights up the throttle…

We dont have this button, maybe it is a new design. How does it look like, you have a picture?

I’m pretty sure he is talking about the “soft switch” on the new Bluetooth BMS units…it allows us to use the new Anderson connectors. Mine were 1st gen batteries, and I replaced my BMS units with the new BT units. I don’t recommend individuals doing this for various reasons. Here’s a picture of mine. Notice “zero” is on and “one” is off…reverse of what it is suppose to be. Daly wasn’t paying attention when they added the soft switch.
I hope this helps.
Bill

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iVv47WJmWuwhn5YR7

That is indeed the switch, it doesn’t seem to always work which is leading to frustration and confusion.

I test mine this afternoon. With a 15W load attached to the battery, the “soft switch” worked every time. “Zero” turned it on and “One” turned it off. I’m wondering if the ESC is shutting it down for some reason? Also, you might want to carefully lift off the top aluminum cover of the battery to make sure the “soft switch” is plugged in securely. You also might want to try to Ohm out the switch to make sure it is working properly.
Good luck!
Bill