New battery tech

This would be amazing. 10x energy density. Honda and NASA pioneer batteries with ten times energy density of lithium | Driving

4 Likes

Now operate a much lower then 150 degrees — what is much lower??
Love the idea - this would be 2 bonka size now one hr of flight,awesome!
5yrs out I would guess.
cheers

This link was also at the end of the article saying they are developing to work optimally at room temps so 21°C? I’m guessing most batteries work best at this temp. Will be amazing flight times if this happens!

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/362/6419/1144

cell cycled at room temperature. Fluoride ion–mediated electrochemistry offers a pathway toward developing capacities beyond that of lithium ion technology.

When they use words l pathway – usually means it will be a while before we see something. Does room temperature mean not going to be a good small battery application because you have to have an bulky active temperature management system?

Cheers

Always just a few years away… Though this company claims to have their battery in commercial pilot project use right now

1 Like

I think this graph says it all as to why Li-Ion will be around for a while.

Full article: Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

1 Like

Fire safe - 4 times the capacity - apprx 55,000 full depth of discharge cycles
F me, that sounds great, sigh me up !!!

2 Likes

Maybe Aluminum Air batteries will be the thing!

“Gasoline has an energy density of 1,700 Wh/kg, while an aluminum-air flow battery exhibits a much higher energy densities of 2,500 Wh/kg with its replaceable electrolyte and aluminum,” professor Jaephil Cho said in a statement. “This means, with one kg of aluminum, we can build a battery that enables an electric car to run up to 700 km.”

2 Likes

Battcon.com is next week. Maybe we’ll hear some breaking news about battery tech.

Sounds like a gathering for Batman fans :rofl:

2 Likes

LCB batteries already demonstrate a big improvement for battery safety. Now we just have to wait for more energy density (not sure about price). Testing LCBs (Lithium Ceramic Batteries) || The Future of Battery Technology? - YouTube

Also nice is the bipolar technology that allows internal stacking of cells. Imagine, single 60v cells … not sure if these would still require external voltage management.

A great video on current/future batteries and what goes in to developing a new battery.

1 Like

I had this company email me about their version of Lithium Titanate batteries, so I looked into them

Lithium Titanate batteries –test vid – proving to be very safe, but energy density at 160wh/kg is low - but for those that are paranoid about burning to death while flying such batteries may be the solution :smile: - sorry I should not joke about death, serious now :expressionless:

With a higher charge rate of 6min (one cell) - gets you back up fast.
Probably ok if you wanted to do a bat for ta trike and recharge quick and take off again or if your wanting to do a solar install.

Has anyone looked at the idea of using supercapacitors either in place of or in conjunction with batteries?

Found this video to be very interesting

1 Like