Larger Motors M17? More efficient?

Has anybody entertained the idea of using larger more efficient motors, like the M17? I am sure MAD Components can make an M17 180kv. I think it will be some grams heavier, but much more efficient than the M10 and will draw less amps.

Any thoughts?

I just wrote MAD components to estimate, and they said the M17 180kv will weight 250 grams more than the M10 180kv. I think this is a small weight increase if we can get much better efficiency. It will add 1 kg or 2.2 lbs to the whole system.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

If it gets me 10 more minutes of flight from 4 bats then great - if only 2 mins then no.
One of the main reasons I got the unit was lighter weight - I think the only real substantial gains that will be made is with the improvement in Bats.
Cheers

1 Like

I am trying to have MAD Components to build an M17 180kv and do a test bench to see how many amps we can save. Once the give me the results I will share here.

2 Likes

I like your thinking here but I agree with E-pusher that the improvement may be too small to be worth the added weight and efficiency. However, that knowledge and data would be awesome to combine with other tests we want to do with props and such so that our future purchases will be a more significant step up.