Lady bug - a fun sp flight

4 Likes

Beautiful flight. Nice spot landing too!

Why do you wear a mask when flying?

Thanks!
Mask: tired of looking like a racoon. The UV are strong even when overcast. My students always go back home looking like baked potatoes and suntanned like a lobster.

2 Likes

yes with us it is very similar. Student pilots often laugh when old pilots fly thermals with long sleeves in the warm summer. as soon as the “young birds” fly really long thermals for the first time and they have a class 2 sunburn, the newbees understand why the old pilots do it the way they do it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I almost always wear long sleeves and long pants…guess I should get into the habit of using gloves and a mask too…especially on those mid-day beach flights. I burn easily, and as always, “the evil Sun is trying to kill me”. :frowning_face: Phil, thanks for setting a good example for us. :+1: Knee pads are part of my gear too when flying at home from the asphalt apron at our airport! …got to minimize the risk!
Bill

Fair skin students tan like aspirins, blind and red hair get hammered by the Sun from the end of May till the end of September around here. I do not teach when the temps reach 80 to 85ºF and tell the newbies to bring at least a gallon of water for the day and Gatorade if they can drink that stuff for electrolytes or they will cramp later😫 If not, twenty years later, they will look like an overcooked forgotten baked potato in the oven🤪

2 Likes

I always figured that was just being hopeful that they find a thermal to take them up where it gets chilly. :grin:

1 Like