Keeping neighbours happy; jow loud is the 140 takeoff?

I am looking at getting into paramotoring, and am ironically looking for a new house

There are a couple of houses right wt the end of the street, right next to bush land that i could fly over

I really want to be able to take off and land from my backyard, without upsetting the neighbours too much!

How many decibels is a take off, compared to say a lawn mower?

Aside from making friends with the neighbours and asking about their schedule so i am less annoying to them, and take off when they are not home?

I just kind of know that if i need to drive to a field I’ll probably get there once a week or two, but if i can take off from my backyard with no set up time, driving time, I could get up daiky

I would say it’s louder than a push mower but about the same as a riding lawn mower. And probably the biggest thing that would make a difference for your neighbors is the fact that it doesn’t have to be running and warmed up before you launch so the duration of the noise is less in that location. Versus with the gas motor you’re kind of idling it for a few minutes before you take off you need to warm it up and stuff.

One thing to keep in mind is you will most likely be flying sunrise/sunset hours. Sunrise is where neighbors are going to be especially picky about noise. Where I live, is gets dangerous to fly during normal “lawn mowing” hours. Sunrise is close to 5AM in the summer here, and I have finished a long flight well before my neighbors wake up and mow their lawns. You may live in a region that allows safe flying later in the day, so you might discus typical “safe flight” windows with your local pilots.

I would absolutely love to be able to fly from my yard, but one beauty of paramotoring is the portability. I like being able to explore new areas and explore with friends. I would love to fly from my yard, but flying alone at the same field all of the time could get boring over time.

I would also check out the “bush land” you mentioned to see if there might be some launchable clearings there. Even better if there are bushes and/or trees between the clearing and the homes to help muffle noise. If you can get a half mile away from homes or so, I wouldn’t think you would annoy your neighbors. I’ve been thinking about ordering something like the “Varla Eagle One” scooter to haul myself and flight gear a mile or so from home to fly.

1 Like