Incredible world record with miniplane

I know this is an eppg forum. But I think it’s worth looking at the ppg section because there are interesting details that I would like to explain to you.

Andy made his world record flight with a series miniplane top 80 engine with a 140 cm propeller.
He had about 60 liters of fuel on board. His harness is a modified free flight harness.
And now comes the thing…

The wing is a 13 m2 wing from Phi that is actually for free flight and is a 2-line.
The wing was only built for Andy, it is not a series wing.

In total, Andy weighed around 156 kilograms at takeoff. He says that the power is completely sufficient for such world records.
Of course, the takeoff is longer and more challenging with so much weight and a small wing.

I see many things confirmed that I discovered myself when flying electric. I’ve been saying for a long time that it’s completely sufficient if you have the performance of the miniplane top 80, atom or similar. It’s more about efficiency with a large propeller and a customized setup in general.

The record wouldn’t be easier to achieve with a pure full-reflex wing, but you would need a lot more power to be able to fly at such a high average speed. If you want more information, you can find it on Facebook, where there’s a big report from the pilot himself.

I think his performance is great and I know the area well at midday this time of year.

The Bavarian Forest was also there, which can be extremely thermal. I think it’s great that a manufacturer like PHI fully supports such a project with its employees and colleagues.

3 Likes