Good Beginner Wing?

What would be a good wing to start with, and what are the average prices? I’m assuming it wouldn’t come with a kit. A reserve chute would also probably be necessary.

The Ozone Mojo PWR is a good place to start or a similar A-wing. New wings are between 2500-3500 where a used wing can drop the price of a grand it can be hard to find decent used wing right now with all the new people joining the sport.

2 Likes

I am will be using a Gin Pegasus EN-A

Good beginner wing

But I will look into the Ozone Mojo PWR, It’s cheaper than the pegasus and seems really nice

You want an EN-A rated wing suitable for your weight+your gears weight. That said you really, really should be asking an instructor this question and not random people online. There are a lot of helpful people in the community and there’s nothing wrong with asking us in addition to an instructor, but you need real interaction with real instructors to do this safely, and choosing the right wing is one of the most critical decisions you can make. OpenPPG is fundamentally the same as any other paramotor, and even if instructors don’t have much experience with electric motors they’ll be able to tell you everything you need to know about the kind of gear you need, like the wing.

Disclaimer: I’ve literally never flown a paraglider and here I am acting like I know what I’m talking about. Look up a few instructors and send them some emails asking for help. They became instructors for a reason, and it’s almost always because they want to help people fly safely.

4 Likes

Daniel.

I have flown a paramotor. And a paraglider, and aeroplanes, Microlights, gyroplanes and hang gliders.

And I can’t agree with you more! Proper training is a must. Teaching yourself to fly is right up there with do it yourself brain surgery. Really not a good idea. Find a local school for either PG or PPG and get some schooling. I’m a bit bias and thing it’s better to learn to paraglide then add a power or tow rating but I’ve friends who’ve only ever flown powered paragliders. Either way, get some learning done. That way you stay alive long enough to enjoy the freedom of flight for years to come.

Paul

4 Likes

Yes, definitely going to get good training. I was wondering more what wings work with this frame, does any PPG wing work, or just certain kinds? (Sorry, I’m pretty new)

1 Like

There are no special special wing requirements for OpenPPG. As far as the wing is concerned OpenPPG is the same as any gas motor you’d normally buy.

2 Likes

Although if your a kitesurfer especially a flysurfer kitesurfer, the transition to ppg is pretty smooth

@SnakeGuy123 I can only speak for Germany/Europe, where I was trained and where I received my Ippi Card (international license for free paraglading) and my SPL (Sports Pilot License for PPG).

In Germany you are only allowed to use certified wings together with a Paramotor. Additionally, as a beginner, you would want to fly with a safe wing, EN/LTF A, as others have stated.
There are wings that are certified for both, Freeflying (PG) and Motorflying (PPG), others are only certified for PPG.

Dudek (Germany) makes such wings, Ozone (France) as well, Nova from Austria also!

I am freeflying and doing PPG for a year now, and I am still on my beginner wing, which is certified for both, PG and PPG. It’s a Nova Prion 3 size L (EN/LTF A)

My next wing is probably going to be a Nova Ion 4 or 5 (EN/LTF B).

Though I’ve experience flying a paramotor I’m not VERY experienced on them. And the only wings I’ve flown under power were both paragliding wings. So I’ve a question for the group. What is the difference between a wing designed for free flying and a wing designed for power? Is it to do do with speed or is there something more here? There are a lot of paragliding wings which are certified for new pilots but also have tow certification. Wings like the Ozone Mojo that a previous poster mentioned is a great example. But how many of the ‘power’ wings are optimised to minimise weightshift input (caused by P-effect) and therefore not the best for our shiny new zero torque machines?

Your thoughts are invited…

Paul

1 Like

Hey Paul,
in Germany the difference is mainly only “certification” which means basically that one manufacturer has paid some extra money to get the extra certification.

However from training I understand that there are “special” wings for only paramotoring, that are called “reflex wings” … I understand this has to do with the wing profile, and these wings can’t or at least should not be flown without a paramotor.
These “reflex wings” are supposed to be a little faster when flown with a motor, versus a “regular paraglider”.

I am in no way an expert in this thoug. I tried to google a bit to learn more about it, but didn’t find much…

Good review from the one of the top schools in the US - Aviator PPG
Mojo Pwr

Cheers, Patrick

It’s hard to find quality used wings, and when you do find them there’s always a risk that it’s not suitable for flying. If you do buy used, GET IT INSPECTED by a pro. This is a million times more important if you are new to the sport, as we all once were – and didn’t know, what we didn’t know. Just hit me up, happy to answer any questions. I’m an instructor with thousands of hours in the air. I should note we’re actually a 501c3 non profit, and we very much support this project and what Paul (and now all of you) are doing, so if we can help reduce the overall entry cost into the sport, we’ll do exactly that. Not trying to make a sale, just want you to know that if you need a new beginner wing, we will happily give you a discount of the MSRP for any Ozone product. A good one – if you’re a member here. As to the other comments, I can not agree more: ask someone who teaches. Instructors bring a wealth of knowledge about a variety of areas that are critically important to your safety and growth in the sport. I can’t be here all the time, but when I am, happy to help if I can in any way. One poster asked about wing differences between PPG and free flying – simple, one word: reflex. And, generally speaking, PPG wings are EN-A or EN-B wings that have an alternative riser configuration, and an extended weight range certification. Very few free flight wings can be used for PPG, unless they’re made for both really. The reflex wing risers typically have a trim system so the wing can be set with a varying angle of attack, and this also allows for AOA differences for either side to counteract P-factor. The Ozone mentioned is an exceptional wing for beginners, up to advancing pilots. That is one things you do NOT want to skimp on; the wing is THE most important investment you’ll make in your safety, save a reserve. Hope that helps. T

2 Likes

I agree with almost all you say Tom @flightmentor I too made a big mistake in my early days, buying a Wing that was so porous that when I first tried wingovers the tips kept collapsing due to lack of internal pressure. There was a reason that the previous owner had to unload it! I do however disagree with the NEED for a reflex wing with the OpenPPG. The whole point of using multiple contra rotating propellers is to negate P effects. Newbies, check out my post Good Beginner Wing? - #5 by paul_oz made a while ago. Reflex and trim tabs may help you with overall speed (if that’s what you want… but if it is you should buy a Cessna) but there is no reason why you can’t fly a freeflying wing as long as it is tow rated. Ozone is a very fine brand IMHO, the first paramotor I ever flew was under a 2004 Ozone Electron, the P effects were easily managed with brakes only. I’m intending to use an Ozone Rush 2 when I get my multirotor built :smile:

Paul

Thanks for the feedback… but pretty sure I didn’t say “need”… I said, “Very few free flight wings can be used for PPG…” And that is factually correct, if you do the math on weight loads alone and the ratings they hold. Can you get away with it, sure. As you stated, “Though I’ve experience flying a paramotor I’m not VERY experienced on them. And the only wings I’ve flown under power were both paragliding wings.” So… yep, you can indeed do that sir… You can get away with all kinds of things – that in my humble view you shouldn’t. Forget about p-factor. I have thousands of hours flying and teaching PPG, so I’m biased and prob set in my ways a bit. But I am ALL ABOUT SAFETY, hands down. We put wings under far more strain and g-force as PPG pilots. Using a free flying wing, made for less weight and certified under those standards is, in my view, inappropriate. I wouldn’t do that to save a few bucks; I value my life too much. Using some wings for PPG will actually void the warranty and would reduce liability to the manufacturer due to user stupidity (as we know, we’re our worst enemies in the sky) in the event of an accident. PPG wings undergo additional weight load testing, period. They have to. A free fly wing isn’t generally designed for the additional weight, which will show on the placard for anyone who cares to read it on a given wing. If that were not the case, companies (designers, engineers, etc) with Apco, Ozone, Gin, Dudek, and countless others wouldn’t have an actually real need for creating different wing sets, as it would reduce their overall development and production costs – and make the factories more profitable overall. I’ve had long talks with some of the best developers in the world about this very topic. I should note that I didn’t say trim tabs were required for controlling P-factor either, only that it is a perfectly acceptable way to do it, and can only be done that way if there are indeed trim tabs build in to change the angle of attack (in addition to impacting overall strain on the engine, etc). That said, if the opposing motors give out on an Open PPG rig, might be nice to have the options to add a little mechanical helps so you don’t have to adjust with constant pressure. They’ll never go down I’m sure, just saying. :stuck_out_tongue: Of course, there is no question you can also eek out some more (in addition to reducing the load on your brakes, etc) speed with reflex wings (and the addition of a speed bar), but that is hardly my main point (you actually hit on it). If it was about speed alone, I wouldn’t waste my time with a Cessna either; I cut my initial GA teeth in Cessnas when I was becoming a commercial pilot, and could fly them backwards in a good head wind with the throttle wide open. So unless you’re flying a Citation, they’re not gonna fill that need for speed anymore than a PPG will. ha. You absolutely nail the point about used wings; best bit of reality anyone could share with someone looking to get a wing. Thanks for sharing; that’s what this is all about.

Great advice. Dead right…

1 Like

To be clear to anyone who reads this, it’s possible my response might be seen as defensive or rude. Not my intent at all. I type fast sometimes don’t spend enough time making sure inflection can be “heard” in a post. I am here to learn and share as much as anyone, and Paul has shared good insight and obviously cares deeply enough to do so.