Getting into OpenPPG

Hi,

I am currently in Paragliding training, butm my end goal is also to do PPG. I am really interested in the OpenPPG, but there are some points that are holding me back:

• I don’t see a lot (if any?) ‘reviews’ or video’s or ‘real life experiences’ from people who own a SP140. From a product like this I would expect that everybody would be bragging and making video’s about theirs, no?

• Does anyone have experience with ordering an OpenPPG unit with shipment to Europe?

• The people behind OpenPPG seem to be struggeling to make a good running (or communicating at least) business out of it, how confident are you (owners) that they will keep managing?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,

Harald

No one has one yet. That is why there are no reviews from owners. I expect to get mine in two weeks or so.

1 Like

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I just got an answer on the YouTube channel that the first 50 units are now being shipped. I will have to wait untill they are able to build stock, since I’m not good at waiting after paying :grin:

You may be waiting a while. Based on the first batch, they are selling all they can produce. People who got frustrated in the first batch and got a refund found the units immediately sold to others waiting in line.

Hey and thanks for the interest! We are a small but growing company, so while that may explain some of the speed bumps along the way, we are always trying to improve.
We’ve invested a lot of capital and even more time in OpenPPG. I think if we are continuing to ship after the wild year last year it shows we will be around for a while.

Our mission is to make flying easily accessible, and we are still a ways away from that so as Mike Patey says “back to work”.

6 Likes

Thanks a lot for the response guys!

Love your mission and especially your reference to Mike Patey! :star_struck:
I think just a little more updates on i.e. YouTube and or Instagram would make the brand look more transparent and take away a lot of doubt for the people who aren’t in the community yet.

Do you already have European customers for the SP140?

Yup quite a few!

Too bad he is so busy, I would love to go see his hanger or even have something like an internship there. I live only about 30 minutes from his hanger and less from his home. In fact I have a neighbor that our back yards touch and his hanger is next door to his brother Mark’s hanger.

How does that work? I thought I heard anything over 60v wasn’t allowed in Europe.

you can of course own or import almost anything in europe. if it is marked with ce, it can easily be imported through customs. when you start something it can be a different story, but also often problem-free as long as nobody bothers you. if others are affected, it can be problematic and you pay a fine. Examples: the owner of the airfield notices that the voltage is higher. or the owner of the house sees a charger in the basement with too high a charging voltage. or at a traffic control, the police officer sees a battery with high voltage and without UN approval. If you have an accident and someone is injured, it will be bad for the owner of high-voltage batteries if they are not tested. it is particularly bad if you do not indicate how high the voltage is. example. a car has an accident and a 100 volt battery is simply transported in the trunk. If the accident is investigated and it turns out that the voltage is not marked or warnings are visible, the judge will be very strict. because it is also endangered by zb. rescue, fire brigade and all helpers. many are unaware of this and think very selfishly. you often see it on e.scooters that are operated illegally.

the large logistic centers in europe have almost all x-ray machines. if large batteries are detected, these packs are opened and checked by experts when they are imported into the eu. there was recently a case where batteries for oneweels were discovered without CE-Dokuments and UN 38.3 approval. The goods are then confiscated and destroyed. the importuer pays the costs and the penalty.

What is the reason for not allowing over 60v?

direct current over 120 volts is fatal if touched. therefore in europe the maximum volt has been halved / set to 60 volts. with wet hands or injuries to the skin surface, e.g. scratches on the hand can be fatal when touching hand - hand even a voltage of less than 100 volts. in europe people pay close attention to the safety of the entire population. as an an example. a child sees a father’s charger in the garage and plays with it. if it only has 60 volts, the risk is present but low. if it is 100 volts it can be fatal for the child. or a 100 volt battery is in the back seat of the accident car. a helper takes the battery with wet hands and gets an electric shock. if the helper has a pacemaker, for example, it can be fatal. If you work with voltages above 60 volts you should always know exactly what you are doing.

with e vehicles you do it so that the individual batt. modules have low voltages. the series connection to over 100 volts or more then only takes place in the circuits in the closed area that cannot be touched.