Freerchobby Power Systems

Here is the info I received From Jonathan for my trike similar size to the ATF Trike by Northwing ::::

“”"Hi Patrick,

Happy Holidays and thank you for the inquiry. In case you missed the video of the system on the ATF, here it is: Electric ATF Trike by Northwing and Silent Electrics - YouTube. You can purchase a complete conversion kit through Northwing. Not only would it come with the electric propulsion bits but also the motor mount bracket and battery tray, and I think he’s working on a fairing to go around the motor. We provide the batteries in modules of 2kWh. For a light soaring trike I wouldn’t recommend going above 6kWh just because weight starts to get excessive and it would be hard to find the room to put all of the batteries. 6kWh gives an hour of one climb and then economy cruise, so if you decide to do touch and goes instead you should be able to get a decent number in (exactly how many would depend on your weight and the pattern altitude). You could also then take one module out if you just want to go soar and want more maneuverability. The cells are made by Molicel (they actually have an R&D plant there in Canada). The cell is P42A (see attached datasheet). There is no cycle life warranty on the packs, as that changes depending on how they are treated by the user, but we can replace them if there is a manufacturing defect.

Here are the specs on the main components:

18kW / 24HP system:

Motor:
KV = 40
31 pole pairs
Rated Voltage = 24S
No Load Current = 3.6A
Internal Resistance = 10mOhm
Motor Weight = 4177g / 9.2 lbs
Maximum Current = 216.6A
Maximum Power = 20,966W
Rated Power = 18 kW
Maximum Thrust = 170 lbs
**Max Torque = 67.88 Nm **

Controller:

28S 120V 300A (400 peak)
Weight: 0.75 kg / 1.65 lbs **
Plug and play firmware
Up to 28S/120V
Up to 300Amps continuous current with airflow

400A Burst current
True 12bit throttle resolution
Feed-Forward compensator
Up to 480Hz input update rate (Standard PWM)
Runs Oneshot125, Multishot and Proshot Up to 1.2Khz
Over 1,000,000 eRPM
Auto output PWM-freq
Auto timing advance
Onboard 16Mbit flash memory – Data-logging
Firmware updatable through the micro-USB port
Isolated Input and output (Can be configured for RPM)
UART telemetry output (non-isolated from the signal line)
Fully configurable through the APD ESC Config Tool (micro-USB Connection)
Internal capacitor bank designed for 3m of cable input length
*** Continuous current ratings are at a 100% throttle duty cycle. Continuous rating is defined as max sustained current at 100% throttle with 10 m/s airflow.

Batteries:
2 or 3 x 2.0 kWh
24S6P; Molicel 21700 P42A cells; 4Ah cells
88.8V, 23Ah (2.07 kWh)
Size and shape depends on customer’s needs
Weight: 27 lbs each (2.0 lbs of that is casing, connectors, etc.)
BMS (300A peak, 120A continuous)

Propeller:
Helix folding propeller
H30K 1.40m diameter R-EM-08-2
163 lbs peak with black motor

If you’re interested in getting a price quote, go ahead and contact Kamron at Northwing: ultrikes@northwing.com. Please let me know if I can answer any more questions.“”“”

I have not as of yet made any pricing enquiry to NorthWing.

Cheers

Ya looks like they are just using the same components as the Sp140, but for kit starting at $13,800 is a little high considering you could just get those components for around $6000 if you just took them from and Sp140. Folding prop is only thing different as far as components go, same battery cells, ESC, Motor.

1 Like

Thank you for commenting Paul, as your opinion means a lot.

This is my understanding per emails with Jonathan. If you already own an ATF trike, the complete conversion kit with appropriate extras (bolt on) is $13.8k, paid to and supported by Northwing.

Jonathan said “According to the agreement we have with Northwing, if you are planning on converting a Northwing product then you need to go through them to purchase a system. They can provide you a final price on a conversion kit. I provide the propulsion system to them and they provide the motor mounts, battery trays, and motor fairings. They will also provide tech support, with my help.”

If you don’t already own an ATF trike, the basic kit as described above by E-Pusher is purchased from and supported by Jonathan at $8.7k.

Jonathan said “If you plan on converting a different aircraft then you would go through me. I don’t provide motor mounts, battery trays or fairings, but an otherwise complete system.”

I do like the folding prop setup Silent Electrics is showing, but have not asked Jonathan to break down costs for individual components of his kits, or even if he would sell separate components.
I’m assuming the prop is sized correctly for this 24HP system, of course.

Yep a little to rich for my working mans /budget flyer wallet. :rofl:

Yeah, I’m still in deadwood’s camp, wondering if the SP140 setup is sufficient for a trike with a heavy pilot like myself. Even the price for the basic Silent Electric smallest (24 hp) kit/system is significantly higher than the SP140 at $8.7K. If the two systems are basically the same components, except for the folding propeller, for me at this point, I might still deconstruct an SP140 for my needs to start. I don’t trust myself at sourcing the individual components myself yet, which in theory could save money. Money is very tight for me.

That 2 blade Helix folding propeller for the Silent Electric system is still tempting for me. I suspect other folding propellers I’ve seen, for example, for the mosquito powered harness, may not be appropriately beefy enough for the SP140. Other folding propellers I’ve seen are very expensive. Like this 3 blade Helix: Elektrifizierung für Ultraleichtflugzeuge - Folding Propeller H30K at almost 1.6K euros.

E-pusher, I was under the impression your trike was not an ATF, and the Northwing add on components would not be sufficiently custom for your needs (no reason to pick the more expensive Northwing option). Are you using a hang glider wing, like myself?

I consider the ATF trike in the light trike part 103 category (heavier), not in the nanolight category (lighter). I hope Northwing sells some of these electric versions, so we may see how they hold up, and may validate the strength of the Mad M50XXX motor and controller for this type of application.

I tried contacting Peter Sripol regarding his use of the SP140 system in his MK4 UL. I wanted to know which propeller he ended up switching to, since the SP140 prop was not a good fit for his UL (not enough pitch?). Unfortunately he did not respond. As far as longevity for his MK 4, who knows? It seems like Peter is always moving on to the next challenge, and does not stick with anything.

Kind regards

Yes - I basically us the same wing - NorthWing Solarius 16.8 on a Trikebuggy Trike with a Simonini 202. 8.7k$ is still steep for me as well.
Cheers

I agree. The SP140 has enough thrust.
You can find or build a trike frame that is light and add
an extra battery to get a 2 hour (there abouts) flight time.
I think I read the batteries are only about 23 lbs???.

This vid caught my eye. These are new pilots near the end of their training
and they are taking their first flight alone.
Pay attention to the take offs and the landings. forgive, these are ICE machines.