Flight Duration vs Motor Size

I know this community has beaten to death the battery / energy density / power issues…I get it.

I have watched just about every video on the Sp140…almost all flyers remark about the robust power, (almost) too much power and they have to dial it down (especially for rookies).

Has anyone considered swapping out the current motor for something slightly smaller (say 80% of current power output)???

I think a few customers would TRADE a little less power for more DURATION… are my physics off - thinking along these lines?

Thoughts?

Yes, many people are very happy with the performance when the battery is fully charged and describe it a little exaggeratedly. It is much easier to have enough power in all situations. If you want less power, you can easily do this by using a propeller with less pitch. eprops has many models that fit here. So that only 70, 80 or 90 percent of the thrust power comes. The flight time increases accordingly if you don’t have such high peaks in maximum power. Like with an electric car, you could also say it is an eco mode. This also gives you the option of installing the original propeller if you want full performance again.

Basically, what is described works for all standard wings. The pitch speed of a propeller with less pitch matches the airspeed of the wing. If you want to fly at high speeds and with a full reflex wing, you need a lot of power anyway, so the only option is to use the original propeller.

1 Like

Alternatively, you can also work with speed limits on the controller, as we have been doing in Europe for years at EPPG. But if you want to sell a series EPPG like the SP140, I wouldn’t change anything about it, then just adjust the performance with the less pitch propeller option.

Is there a way to find what pitch an e-prop has? It doesn’t have the dimensions that all rc plane props have like if we think of an 50cc one of the most popular rc gas motor an 22x8 inch prop is a smal pitch prop and an 22x12 is a high pitch prop.
When I’ve builded my eppg and ordered the prop from e-prop I’ve mentioned the motor Mad M50 34kv and also that “is for SP140”.
I would like to know if I have an low/medium/high pitch prop.
It only writes with dots on each blade: J6 4L.
I wonder if this is what others have too.

There is no information about the pitch in numbers. However, it is still very easy to find a propeller that requires less engine power at the same speed. You can easily orientate yourself on petrol engines or other electric engines. as a basis e.g. Rotex Rex 30 / 140 centimeter treeblade, top 80 (3.84) petrol engine, Atom 80 and many others in the 10 -12 kilowatt class fit the speed range of the SP140 very well if you want less thrust. You can also try propellers from friends and then decide. I have compared around 20 different eprops myself in the 130 and 140 cm range. But for me it’s a little different because I generally fly at lower speeds. For me, 50 kilograms of thrust is completely sufficient for a foot start. I only weigh 86 kilograms and usually fly wings like Ozone Kona, Nova ion4 etc. with a total of 125 - 150 kilograms. I only have 85 kilograms of thrust (17 kw) on the trike. For the start with a total weight of 230 kilograms and a fast reflex with a cruising speed of 55-60 km/h, I then need around 8-9 kw.

1 Like

No need to swap. Use the “Chill” mode and go easy on the trigger - that will do😄 Of course it will depend on wing size, Wing type, weather conditions of the day, ASL and experience.

1 Like