Energy/lithium-carbon-battery

Four parts to the battery finish line…1) faster charge time, 2) lighter weight, 3) higher energy density and 4) higher charge cycles. …actually a 5th part…5) environmentally friendly chemistry.

Interesting article, but personally, I don’t think we have reached the “Betamax” stage yet. Our “battery” future looks like it will be exciting.:grin:

2 Likes

From further research, It turns out that their battery in the highest energy density configuration is only getting 110Wh/Kg gravimetric energy density. Even better, their lithium carbon battery that this article was talking about is even worse at only 60Wh/Kg. We need 4 times better for a usable E-ppg!

I love how every one of the roughly 10 news articles I read on this battery don’t bother to mention that the battery looses 75% of it’s capacity in exchange. I have seen that almost all of the news outlets have twisted or left out the facts when it comes to upcoming battery technologies in such a way that a very large percentage of the population has a false notion that within a few years we will have magic ultra-high power and energy dense batteries that last forever and render the combustion engine entirely obsolete.

2 Likes

Your 2) and 3) are the same thing. You left out cost so we’re still at five factors with potentially a sixth being power density. For eppg charge time is probably the least important of the five. Charge time is typically related to the same factors that govern discharge time so it’s essentially power density. As long as power density is high enough, more is not so important.

Cycle life can be low if cost is also low. If cost is high that’s ok if cycling life is also high.

Energy density is key for electric flight.

Greg,

I got you. I was just speaking as a non-engineer keeping it very basic. Thanks.

I still believe that we haven’t even reached the “Betamax” level yet though.

Bill

BTW: Post more flights when you can. I do enjoy them.

1 Like