Electrical Extras & Goodies

Could an electric paramotor also recharge your portable electronic devices (smartphone, tablet, garmin, tomtom, whatever) during flight?

Can an electric paramotor have extra hookups to power strobes or other decorative lighting, for night flying? (Yes, I know you’re not supposed to fly at night under FAR 103, but not everyone lives in USA. Also, such lighting can still look very nice even at twilight)

While a smoke system on a classical paramotor makes use of the engine exhaust, how could a smoke system be implemented on an electric paramotor?
Could electric power from the batteries be used to heat a person’s gloves, if their hands get cold while flying, as they often do?

What about a small supercapacitor reservoir - just enough to dump more power into the motor for 20 seconds - say, for takeoff purposes? (Even NiCad batteries have significantly higher cycle life compared to other batteries, of 2000+ cycles)

1 Like

Of course. Most of the electronics in the x4 and SP140 are powered off of 5v or close to it. I don´t see a reason why you couldn´t run directly to a usb port or through a regulator and then to usb if it is more than 1/2 volt off.

I Don´t know the exact current rating of the BEC(battery elimination circuit) that the sp140 uses, but if it has a 12v or 9v ~3a BEC output like many racing drones, you could run medium power LEDs off of that.

Many electric rc airplanes have smoke systems that are either a one time use burning cylinder type thing, or an electric refillable smoke system that operates comparably to one of the vaping devices so you could use on of those.

I´m sure it could work, but you would need a very powerful BEC. I would imagine that the ESC in the SP140 is modified from the original. So I would imagine that they might be able to throw like a +20A 12v capable BEC in a later model of the SP140 so things like heated gloves could be powered off the paramotor.

I have already shared my ideas on super capacitors, so I will leave that for other people to give input.

This is something I’ve thought about a bit and definitely doable. Like others have said it’s just a matter of the right regulator. Not to tease but we had designed a USB port on the original X4 bms explicitly for the use case of charging phones and GoPros. That was never released but we do have plans for extra low voltage outputs on future ePPGs. Most already have radios, strobes, phones, cameras, etc. that run off 5-12v DC so it just makes sense.
Right now we’re focused on the core SP140 functionality but stay tuned!

4 Likes

I was also imagining that you could offer up some kind of version with more electrical hookups, which could be decorated with lots of lights and even have speakers on it. I’ve always wondered what it could be like to fly over some Fly-In campground blasting music from the sky, with assorted party lights flashing. I know there are audio speakers that are paper thin – imagine would it could be like to have something like that built into a wing.

I would love to see that!

You think after SP140 core is ironed out we get that implemented somehow on sp140, or are you saying for other future models, not x4 nor sp140?

With the SP140 this is actually a limitation with the regulator in the ESC. Right now we dont have a ton of extra wattage coming from the 12v output. We are working with the ESC creator to make further improvements but cant make any promises.

Just as a hint: you should keep in mind that the drive set is an important part of the entire eppg. this means that every connection of other parts to the mainboard poses a potential danger if: for example the part has a short circuit in the cable or is otherwise damaged and draws an excessive amount of current. or dirt gets into the contacts etc. mechanical damage to the socket by tearing out the cable because you forget that it is plugged in. cables that wrap themselves in the propeller. as a manufacturer i would say the drive is Battery. ESC. Motor. Throttle grip. If you want to take accessories with you on the flight, you have to do it with a power bank at your own risk.

2 Likes

I would feel much more comfortable with a second, auxiliary, 12V / 5V supply. Either a separate regulator or just carry a LiPo battery specific to your lighting / auxiliary needs. Keep the critical part free of any potential interference, real or imagined. :smiley:

Yup obviously welcome to do that today. I think he was just asking for something more integrated

I really like the integrated option. I’m sure everyone understands there are potential risks, but good design and assembly should mitigate the risks.

I currently carry WAY too many battery packs and this is on a ICE motor:

• Helmet Headset
  • GoPro Internal
  • External battery for GoPro
  • Radio
  • Heated Gloves
  • Strobe 1
  • Strobe 2

These are all lithium batteries and are in addition to my watch and phone lithium batteries.

I understand that an integrated option would not solve all of these for me, but man would it be nice to reduce the number I have to charge and maintain before flight!

1 Like

I use cheap DC-DC converters all the time on my ebikes and with standalone ebike batteries when camping or for emergency power. Typically 48V to either 5V (USB) or 12V (cigarette lighter socket or 5.5 mm x 2.1mm barrel plug). For SP140 battery this should work, just splice it to the plug: Amazon.com
If it worth the risk? Unlikely. Even Tesla has a separate 12V “power bank” for lights etc. Still, this could probably power your cellphone for a year, preferably on the ground, or the sea, when circumnavigating the globe :wink:

1 Like