Electric PPG - ONE motor project -

you can download pics from the net. it is a part from a hpd 10. the hpd 10 and other versions have patent rights. http://www.ecolight.ch/Images/Flytec.pdf

Hello , my project started in early 2011 when I bought the firts PW-5. For a long time I was looking for a Silent OP or CLUB to transform into FES, as you know the Silent is very difficult to find and its price is out of the market. So I start on my PW, unfortunately the nose of thisglider is too low and it is not possible to lift it from the ground as there would be problems with the incidence of the wings.
In December 2011 I became GM and sent to Shanghai to establish the branch of my company, then I was also given responsibility for our branch in the Detroit area, at which point
no time available and I sell the PW to Polish friends. Arrived at the end of January 2020 I have the opportunity after 42 years of work to retire and dedicate myself to my passion, then I find another PW (D-2177) and I start again with the project.

New motor after bench test will be installed on a hang glider more safe then glider for tests.

Idea for PW is install two REMOVABLE motors on wings with foldable props similar but not the same of this: Thermik2go Elektro-Antriebssystem fĆ¼r Segelflugzeuge (3. Lauf) - YouTube

2011 my first PW-5 test :

IMG_0715

4 Likes

What is the point of the big flat hub with no vents? Why not leave it fully open, for cooling ? The idea of trying to water cool something that drives a prop and sits in the wind is ridiculous - youā€™ve got all the cooling you need, right where you need it, all the time.

You mention magnet ratings, but no mention of the steel grade in use - that makes a huge difference.

Did you know you can double the flux of magnets by arranging them in a halbach array? The increased spacing would also do wonders to resolve heat issues.

Please be very careful about making assumptions about other peopleā€™s usage scenarios. Please also be very careful about making assumptions about how much heat you can dump into the free velocity stream. Thermal issues are some of the absolute hardest to solve when it comes to power elex, and if you go into a R&D project not knowing how youā€™re going to handle them you will either need to spend a lot of money or youā€™ll need to derate significantly.

Thereā€™s a reason why even jumbo-jets can only run full power for 60-180 seconds. Itā€™s not because we think itā€™s fun to spend more time close to the ground.

PPG mean PPG. You donā€™t do water cooling for the same reason you donā€™t use a car engine. Thatā€™s common sense, not an ā€œassumptionā€.

If you canā€™t dump your heat into the air on an motor driving a prop, you have made a mistake in your design of the motor. It really is that simple.

I get that this guy wants to make something ā€œgeneralā€ so it can be used elsewhere, but, thereā€™s a reason we donā€™t use a car engineā€¦

Iā€™m not sure the value of arguing about this. Seeking a level of purity in an online community and imposing that as a litmus test seems counterproductive to the general interests. Anyone is welcome to fly and equip any way they want, laws of physics and limitations wonā€™t change.

Ultimately, motor power output is limited by heat. No matter if itā€™s heat because of eddy currents, hysteresis, bearing drag, or winding losses, the maximum power we can push into that prop is limited by when the motor suffers thermal failure.

Thereā€™s a neat aspect to e-flight: the question of whether we can run at high power continuously isnā€™t really relevant if we donā€™t have enough battery to run for more than a few minutes. So specā€™ing for continuous operation at high power is wasting money, efficiency, and adding mass.

Let me repeat that: if your battery-powered glider is capable of being cooled completely at max power then your design has left something valuable on the table.

That being said, leaving into a design phase anticipating that you will achieve thermal shutdown at the precise moment when batteries reach 20% SoC (or whatever min number youā€™d like to pick) is foolhardy. So you need some tools in your pocket to be able to help your design over the inevitable thermal hump.

One tool is to overspec the motor. Itā€™s easy and is well-understood with graceful flight failure modes. But itā€™s not the only way.

The ONE style design offers a potentially interesting way to be more liberal with the motor spec and yet not risk project failure. Water cooling adds significant thermal capacity without adding much mass. Water outperforms copper, alu, and steel by 4-5x. The upshot is that 1kg of water can allow a motor to run at continuous output for 4-5x longer, before even considering the effect of air convection.

Furthermore, the MAD M40 style design offers vapor cooling as a trump card which we can play, knowing that we can solve the problem forever for what amounts to a teensy spray bottle of water. It might not be ideal, but it means we can experiment with smaller lighter motors and that opens the door to cheaper flight with longer fight times and softer landings.

Or are we somehow against lighter, higher performing systems?

2 Likes

I call BS. Put some numbers on the table. Cooling is very heavy math, but it sounds like youā€™re using an armchair here.

I recently found a nother motor that has the same type of cooling system as the MAD M40

Screenshot_20200602-152717

I also started looking for all the things that where pointed out as low quality on the M40 motor.

On big concern for many people was the tack/ resin used to balance the motor. Being big on drones I looked at all the motors on the drones I have around. I found that every single one of my high quality motors include motors from from emax, DJI all are balanced with this exact resin. I then looked up some other motors, and I found that other top of the line motors such as hacker and t motor use it on many of their motors, so I no longer see it as unprofessional as the best in the industry do it.

Hello my friends happy new year from Italy.
Finally after many tests (not completely finished yet) I am back. Regarding the balance with the resin I will not go into the merits, but having worked worldwide 42 years in the 5-axis machine tool sector for the Aerospace / Defense sector, I would like to say that I have NEVER seen any motor or mechanical system balanced with the resin and this is not an opinion but a fact. In terms of cooling my motor, it is equipped with a liquid cooling system that has never been used until now as the performance required so far does not require it, but in the future it is not known and I preferred to foresee it. Now I am working on a new winding and segmented stator, my project will continue with the ā€œclosedā€ motor technology as the stress tests performed have given better results than the FEM calculation for this I continue on this path. In these days of complete lock down in Italy not being able to reach my hangar I thought of developing my own WEB site to promote the project if you want to visit [https://www.onemotor.Ltd] even if it is still under development. Thank you for all your welcome comments both positive and especially negative about my project. Your support is really appreciated!

4 Likes

Very cool project ITGlider! I will be following.

Itā€™s interesting to think about where eppg will go. The two main components that matter are the motor and the batteries. The batteries are progressing rapidly from industry and we get to enjoy the benefits of that.

For motors I felt like we are at the mercy of industry as well, but the problem is that other than large drones, there is not as much pressure to improve mid-sized electric motors like ours. Motors with enough power and low enough kv to be useful for ppg are just barely there now. It seems like openppg had to work with Mad to make a motor specially for this purpose?

What I like about your project is: I didnā€™t think that making a brushless motor from scratch was within reach of hobbyists. Very cool. Will you share more on how you did the winding? What software did you use to do the FEM analysis?

Edit: now Iā€™m down a youtube rabbit hole of diy motors. Cool stuff. 3d-printed Halbach Motor - Building Instructions - YouTube

Keep up the work. If you can get a 15kw continuous motor that is sub 4kg I might be interested in buying one from you for testing.

Hi Bob, nice to met you , 15Kw motor is under test , unfortunately due to Covid everything is late, I think anyway I can finish the tests by mid-February as soon as available Iā€™ll contact you, in the meantime if you want please consider to register on my website www.ONEmotor.Ltd in order to have fast communication, Gianni from Italy

Hello, www.onemotor.ltd 15Kw continue 3.8Kg still in progress ā€¦
in the mean time take a look on the motor 3D

1 Like

Dear friends, DiY ā€“ ONEmotor project is back with 2nd gen. 18s 600A continue VESC (vedder compatible) controller and 18.5Kw continue BLDC controller. ALL MY PROJECTs are real FREE OF CHARGE please register on www.onemotor.ltd to download entire DiY project.

For any problen or suggestion please write me free INFO@ONEMOTOR.LTD or send me Whatsapp msg +39 346 4094809

GIianni

CAD & FEM motor design foresaw a finite Power and Weight of 15Kw continute and 3.8Kg.

After many tests Power was detected to 18.5Kw continue AND Weight 3.6Kg

1 Like