Ducted fans... No cage needed?

What do you guys think about this… Bladeless Drone: First Flight - YouTube

Can this be applied to openppg?

RIP flight time and your ears. :stuck_out_tongue:

Big ducts around the current props would be best, if it could be done. Feel like the added weight and lack of portability might not be worth it? Properly ducted props can increase their thrust.

Ducts on the current props would be interesting… Would the increase in thrust make up for the increase in weight?

This comes up every so often but the short of it is that it doesn’t really make sense for us. Check out the discussion here Why four motors, instead of one motor? - #9 by davek79

1 Like

also see
Ducted
Cheers

1 Like

Those little motors are scretching loud!!! Something that he partly edited out on the audio. Maybe we need to consult with Dyson on how to move air fast but quietly :grin:
You still need a cage for the lines not to snag on anything coming up - I dont thing this will ever change.

Cheers

1 Like

Unless you do this

1 Like

How much thrust can those things do?

No idea. But I’m sure it’s loud. There is one electric paramotor out there that has developed a virtual cage using sensors. It’ll shut the engine off if it detects your lines getting too close to prop. This would be one way to do away with the cage on openppg. That’s why diy rocks, you can do all of these changes to the system yourself without the high cost to purchase such a system. This wouldn’t prevent lines getting caught on props but would prevent them from getting cut up. Then you’d probably want to go with wireless throttle as well otherwise with no cage you risk throttle cable getting sucked into props. Entirely doable with all the sensors on market now for cheap.

1 Like

Here it is.

1 Like

I love how the props fold themselves in when they’re not spinning. Now we just need another prop to be contra-rotating for zero torque!