Chargers and Charging

I added XT90 connectors with resistors in order to eliminate a spark problem that I was having when connecting the batteries.

Nice. You can also get xt90 anti spark connectors, they work.

@Bodewah @azzkhan @zjwhitehead @Mhilll
I contacted HTRC about this and this was their reply:

I’ve just seen several reports on a forum here that the H825 and HT700 suffer from one channel going faulty, possibly due to movement of the unit?
Is this a known issue? Do you know the cause?
About the issue your said,that maybe an isolated phenomenon,it may have been damaged in transit.our quality has always been very stable,and the customers feedback is very good.
As for the fault chargers you mentioned,we have replaced them free,so do not worry,we will promise you the quality.

So it might be worth contacting ricky@ht-rc.com to see if they will replace for free.
I’m quite interested in buying one anyway and then repairing it if it goes faulty and posting the issue. If the 1 channel remains functional I can’t imagine there is much wrong!

My HTRC charger (picture above) died…completely dead. It was just out of warranty, so, I cracked it open. Fortunately, the problem was obvious…a failed $.20 thermistor. Easy fix. I replaced it, and it now works fine. While it was down, I did order a spare charger just in case this happens again. Here is a picture of the blown thermistor:

4 Likes

My HTRC also died after only 2 charges :frowning: And since I have the 7s batteries its hard to find a charger as most are 6s max. Has anyone landed on a good charger that has 7s capabilities? I appreciate any help :heart: Does anyone think the sparking has anything to do with our chargers dying?

Wow thank you so much that’s awesome

I bought a pair of HTRC T240duo chargers. I went with six cell Bonkas partly because I don’t need the extra power of the seven cell and six cells chargers are easier to find and cheaper.

Both of my chargers read cell # one as 5v!? Therefore they won’t balance charge but they will charge if I set the cell count manually. A friend has provided an old balancer so I can keep an eye on individual voltage and balance.

Be careful running the batteries too low as it will permanently damage the cells.
Also you might have a bad cell if its reading only 5. You should be able to see the individual cell voltage for each cell. None should be below ~ 3v

No the chargers were both reading one cell at 5V! Other cells were varying around 3.5 3.8. This is with unused new batteries at storage charge. All four batts were the same and my multimeter showed all cells at the same voltage. I’ve now charged then up for the first time using the non-balance setting on the charger but watching them with a separate balancer/monitor. When the voltage came up a bit the chargers now see the voltage properly so I could balance charge them. Hopefully these charges are going to stay good.

Greetings. New to the forum.
Just wanted to thumbs-up GliderPilot’s component charging setup. I use those power supplies for my 3d printers, they have stood up to abuse for years and never had any problems. I’ll be using the same setup for charging once my stuff comes in. $26 per PSU on ebay, free shipping. If you don’t mind cobbling stuff together, this is definitely the way to go.

I have a batch 6 on order and now shopping for power. Batteries are available on the website for purchase but the charger has been out of stock since I paid for my batch 6. And even if it was available, reading all the issues w/ the charger is making me a little nervous. I read somewhere that the new batches are designed for 7s batteries, but there aren’t many choices for chargers for those even though there are plenty for 6s batteries. So is there an alternate recommended 7s charger or should we expect that to be available in the store as we get closer to release (late April)? Thanks!

Hi everyone. I’m just deciding which charger to purchase and would welcome any suggestions. I live in the uk. I’ll be charging 4x22000 6s. The best I’ve come across so far is a hobbycraft dual charger on amazon: each channel gives 300w but I haven’t found a suitable psu yet. I can only find psu intended for gaming PCs they seem to have complex connectors. Just to ask what power chargers people are using and how long does it take? There is another dual charger on eBay which looks good & connects to mobile phone app via Bluetooth, but this is only 100w per channel.

There is a ton of information on this RCGroups thread about modifying server power supplies to power RC chargers. Generally it is as simple as soldering on a resistor to one of the pads on the back of the PSU, and (if you are going to run two in series to make a 24V power supply) floating the case ground on one of the power supplies. The exact procedure depends on the specific model of power supply. Personally I use two DPS-1200FBA supplies in series, which together are theoretically capable of delivering 2400W @ 24VDC. That powers an ISDT T8 charger with an ISDT parallel charging board. I’m able to charge 3 6S batteries at 10A each. The power supplies are only warm to the touch after 1.5 hours of charging.

Best part: DPS-1200FBA supplies sell on eBay for ~$25 USD

1 Like

Let’s renew this forum chat and get back into chargers. Since many have used them for some time now curious what people recommend now?

I too would like to know what charger to get and where?

I have a bunch for sale cheap. Hobby king sent me an extra box of them a while back

Isdt, half off- new in box.